Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Torment Kickstarter Update #51: Beta coming on January 17th, Itemization Info

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Brian Fargo; Brother None; InXile Entertainment; Torment: Tides of Numenera

Looks like it's back-to-back release dates today. The Torment: Tides of Numenera beta was originally going to be released last month, but then it got delayed. Turns out it wasn't by much - in a new Kickstarter update published today, Brian Fargo makes a rare appearance to announce that it's scheduled for release on January 17th, followed by a public Steam Early Access release on January 26th. Here are the details, plus a new screenshot:

Here we are in 2016, 17 years after the original Planescape Torment hit the scene and became a cult classic. This is finally the year for the spiritual successor to become a reality. I’m proud to tell you that Torment: Tides of Numenera Beta will be coming to all eligible backers during the week of January 17th and to Steam Early Access on the 26th of January. The team is incredibly passionate about this game and it shows in every aspect of their work. Having the opportunity to create a wholly original experience and intricate world is exactly why we got in the games business to begin with.

The beta will start you right in the beginning of the game and is quite lengthy for an early beta. It covers the game's introductory sequence (some of which you may have already seen a portion of in the alpha) as well as most of the first major location of the game, Sagus Cliffs. Sagus is a very old city that was built on top of ancient structures that predate the return of humanity to the Ninth World. It's split into five main districts: Circus Minor, Cliff's Edge, Caravanserai, Government Square and the Underbelly. As you might expect from a city location, it is rich in lore to discover, characters to talk with and obviously quests to complete!

Of course, we'll be looking to gather your feedback and use it to improve the game. During the alpha, we had a direct feedback form in the game and we'll likely provide that again, as it turned out to be an excellent way for us to gather feedback in a way that was easy for us to parse and implement. Indeed, many points from alpha feedback informed our design decisions during beta production, iteration is after all key to making our games. I look forward to gathering more unique insights from this release.

In a future update we'll talk more about the details of the beta release, but during the lead-up to the beta we will be providing you with new information on what it contains such as profiles of individual locations and discussion of characters and game mechanics. Keep an eye out in coming weeks for updates, starting with today's setting and design details.
Also included in the update is a treatise by Brother None on Torment's items - the Oddities, the Artifacts and the Cyphers. We've heard about that topic before, but this description goes into further detail, in particular about the Cyphers. Will inXile succeed at curing RPG item hoarding syndrome? We'll find out in less than two weeks.

Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
I guess these three coloured guys in the center are Ghibra. They look cool.
latest
Didn't expect to see them in Sagus Cliffs though

Nothing can stop my hoarding syndrome. I am a hoarder at heart. I was hoarding in the past, I am hoarding in the present and I will be hoarding in the future!

likaq

Arcane
Torment: Tides of Numenera Beta will be coming to all eligible backers during the week of January 17th and to Steam Early Access on the 26th of January

there will be MASSIVE butthurt on steam because:

1.price
2.turn based combat
3.they used kickstarter after wasteland 2 ( which of course according to steamtards made inxile unimaginable rich) ? HOW DARE THEY.
4.they used kickstarter and yet price is bigger than 5-10$ ? HOW DARE THEY.

Mark my words.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
Are there spare beta keys in existence (like they were with the PoE)?

almondblight

Arcane
The beta will start you right in the beginning of the game and is quite lengthy for an early beta.

Since InXile has decided to completely thrown out the meaning of beta, how are they now using the term? Being in beta just means "it now feels beta-ish enough for us"? Or perhaps more likely, "people will be pissed that it's not even in beta yet so let's start calling it a beta"?

CRD

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Torment: Tides of Numenera Beta will be coming to all eligible backers during the week of January 17th and to Steam Early Access on the 26th of January

there will be MASSIVE butthurt on steam because:

1.price
2.turn based combat
3.they used kickstarter after wasteland 2 ( which of course according to steamtards made inxile unimaginable rich) ? HOW DARE THEY.
4.they used kickstarter and yet price is bigger than 5-10$ ? HOW DARE THEY.

Mark my words.

1- Well, the price should be $35, at least while EA phase or am I wrong? with a $35 tag doubt much people complain.
2- Divinity is TBS and is massively praised on steam
3/4- No one cares anymore about early access or kickstarter use. Everyones do it, even sony.

So, mark my words that nothing of that will happen. People will just be happy to see another Torment game.

Last edited:

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Stream it, guys. I am too lazy to actually play the game (until actual release, at any rate).

Shin

Cipher
iirc the codex' response to the alpha was pretty bad wasn't it? tiresome discussions about how much "too much text is" and unanimous agreement that the UI was total shit. So for anyone who has played this latest beta: is the writing (in the new area's) better/is the dialogue like PoE and is the UI less shit?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
iirc the codex' response to the alpha was pretty bad wasn't it? tiresome discussions about how much "too much text is" and unanimous agreement that the UI was total shit. So for anyone who has played this latest beta: is the writing (in the new area's) better/is the dialogue like PoE and is the UI less shit?

Define "pretty bad". In the era of PoE-calibre 1000 page thread & 4 reviews butthurt (or 23 page Undertale review butthurt), I'd say the alpha's reception was "pretty mild". Ultimately, I don't think enough people actually played it to be able make a call one way or another.

And the beta isn't out yet.

Shin

Cipher

Define "pretty bad". In the era of PoE-calibre 1000 page thread & 4 reviews butthurt (or 23 page Undertale review butthurt), I'd say the alpha's reception was "pretty mild". Ultimately, I don't think enough people actually played it to be able make a call one way or another.

And the beta isn't out yet.

my bad, didn't see it was the 17th

and I define "pretty bad" as anything less than outstanding when it comes to Torment. Not that it really matters; even if everyone says its shit Ill still play it., I just like to hear good things. Of all the initial cRPG KS hype projects (W2, PoE, T:ToN, S:R) this was by far my most anticipated. Funny thing that the games that impressed me the most the last few years (D:OS and UR) kinda came out of the blue.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I told myself that I wouldn't touch the beta but I know I will play it at least twice.

I also hope they will get a decent chunk of money from Early Access.

Fairfax

Arcane
The beta will start you right in the beginning of the game and is quite lengthy for an early beta.

Since InXile has decided to completely thrown out the meaning of beta, how are they now using the term? Being in beta just means "it now feels beta-ish enough for us"? Or perhaps more likely, "people will be pissed that it's not even in beta yet so let's start calling it a beta"?
They definitely (100%) ran out of KS money, so they're selling a half-assed version of the early game to get more money and fund the rest, just like they did with WL2. I'd bet that's why Fargo fired Kevin, he looks like someone who would fight against that sort of thing.

Starwars

Arcane
There's something about the Torment screenshots that look off to me. Not sure what it is, the overall composition of the areas perhaps. I hope it will all looks like it fits together when you actually play (within the weird universe of course).

iZerw

Arcane
Vatnik
Because it's just a mishmash of "strange" things. In the bottom of your hearts you know the new Torment will be, well, not shit but mediocre. But fucking fanboys will be defending it like they did with POE.

ksaun

Arcane
Developer
ksaun What do you think of the latest Fairfax Theory(tm)

Unfair question! (But you knew that. =) )

Much can happen over a couple months, but my expectation is that players of the TTON beta will be excited by the "half-assed version of the early game." (The Codex will not be impressed, of course; they will revel in the endless flaws they will unearth. But even many here will grudgingly admire the amount of soul present in the beta content, and will consider having respect for the talent of the TTON development team. Such is my prediction.)

(I.e., I am not sure the latest Fairfax Theory(TM) will hold up to scrutiny after players have experienced the beta.)

That said, it would be best to just expect it to be terrible. (After all, how could Sagus Cliffs possibly be on a similar level as the Hive?) The lower one's expectations, the more likely they'll find TTON to be a tolerable addition to the CRPG genre.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Unfair question! (But you knew that. =) )

Much can happen over a couple months, but my expectation is that players of the TTON beta will be excited by the "half-assed version of the early game." (The Codex will not be impressed, of course; they will revel in the endless flaws they will unearth. But even many here will grudgingly admire the amount of soul present in the beta content, and will consider having respect for the talent of the TTON development team. Such is my prediction.)

(I.e., I am not sure the latest Fairfax Theory(TM) will hold up to scrutiny after players have experienced the beta.)

That said, it would be best to just expect it to be terrible. (After all, how could Sagus Cliffs possibly be on a similar level as the Hive?) The lower one's expectations, the more likely they'll find TTON to be a tolerable addition to the CRPG genre.

so tworment will be shit, eh

straight from the horse's mouth

extra extra, read all about it

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Holy fucknuts, brehs !

DIS' GON' B GUD

;)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom