Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial The Fanatic and His RPG - Mark Yohalem on The Age of Decadence

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Age of Decadence; Iron Tower Studios; Mark Yohalem; Vault Dweller

The esteemed Mark Yohalem, writer and designer of Primordia, has been a part of our community for many years - longer than his join date would tell you. As such, he's had the opportunity to observe the development of The Age of Decadence right where it all happened, from its conception on our forums in the mid-2000s all the way until its release last month. It's clear that the quixotic odyssey of Vault Dweller and his magnum opus has made a large impression on Mark, because today he published a thoughtful and scholarly editorial about it on Gamasutra. Its title is "The Fanatic and his RPG". Here's the beginning:

“There is no great genius without some touch of madness.” - Seneca the Younger

In early 2004, a middle-aged man with the Fallout-derived moniker “Vault Dweller” wrote a brief forum post that began, “Long story short, I’ve decided to make a game...” By late 2015, he had posted some 30,000 more messages, taken on a new alias (“Vincent D. Weller”), given perhaps the most caustic interview in the history of gaming journalism, and quit his job as a marketing executive. He had also, at long last, finished The Age of Decadence, a masterpiece of outsider art and a game as iconoclastic and challenging as the man who created it. In an era where RPGs overwhelmingly are either neo-classic throwbacks that ape the beloved forms of old and modern blockbusters that emphasize streamlined accessibility and cinematic flourishes, Decadence is something else entirely: a freak that evolved from the old forms but along new paths. It is a game that compels the attention of anyone interested in RPGs, multi-path design, reactive story-telling, or the madness of the lone creator.

“The artist ... shall be socially non-conformist, even to the point of diverging violently from the psychological norm...; and he shall not cater for a public.” - Roger Cardinal

Four years into the development of The Age of Decadence, Weller was interviewed by Rock, Paper, Shotgun. Even pre-Kickstarter, this was the kind of opportunity that could transform an independent game from a bust into a commercial hit. At the time, Weller was still Vice President of Marketing at a large corporation, yet the interview is the antithesis of the marketing-speak that typifies game developers, even indie developers. Weller grows increasingly frustrated and incredulous at Kieron Gillen’s inability to understand him. Gillen, for his part, comes across as more bemused than combative. At last, Weller declares, “It’s nice that your site tries to attract morons and makes them feel at home, but shouldn’t you be educating them too? It wouldn’t take much to double their IQs, so if you want, I can give you a hand there.” Gillen asks why Weller’s answers are so angry and whether he might be alienating potential customers, but Weller just snaps back, “I don’t really care who’d think what and how my comments would affect sales. I’m making this game on a bold assumption that there are some people out there who are interested in complex games that aren’t made for retards.”

Over the years that followed, Weller has mellowed. When customers ask for hints or post negative reviews, he may not be cordial, but he is precise and factual. There is still a sense of frustration, simmering and ready to boil over. It is easy to read this as misanthropy, and Weller has given critics and skeptics plenty of ammunition in that regard. But to me, it is something almost exactly the opposite of misanthropy: like Cassandra shrieking dire prophecies or Plato’s philosopher losing his patience in the cave, Weller seems angry less at the people who can’t understand his work and more on their behalf. He has something to teach them, something important, but powers greater than his—pandering games and pandering game journalists—have dulled their minds.

Roger Cardinal, who dubbed the genre of “Outsider Art,” explains that such works open our eyes to entirely new perspectives and possibilities. The outsider is so defiant or ignorant of accepted limits that she will pursue goals that have been deemed unattainable by reasonable, rational folks. She will walk paths that have become overgrown or were never blazed at all. Whether she reaches her destination or not, she serves to remind us that the paths and goals are there.

In this regard, and in many others, The Age of Decadence is a triumph.
Read the entire thing there. It may be as positive a review as you're going to get from a Codexer!

Lhynn

Arcane
Age of decadence is, i think, the only game that has made me want to punch its maker. Still a very good rpg. One of the best if not the best of 2015.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Duck Hunt is art!
laughing_dog_duck_hunt_.gif

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
MRY

Why is Primordia so brown, man. Seriously, the setting, the writing, everything was stellar, but I couldn't bear to play it because too brown.

:negative:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Duck Hunt is art!
laughing_dog_duck_hunt_.gif

Don't mind me, i'm just being my usual fastidious cunt self. It's was a great and entertaining read, and you could possibly spin it into a wonderful series of "one man crusades agaisnt the decline" articles, with underrail being the next in line...:smug:

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
MRY

Why is Primordia so brown, man. Seriously, the setting, the writing, everything was stellar, but I couldn't bear to play it because too brown.

:negative:
Art decisions were made by the artist. He has a palette that he likes, and who am I to take it away from him?
It's was a great and entertaining read, and you could possibly spin it into a wonderful series of "one man crusades agaisnt the decline" articles, with underrail being the next in line...:smug:
Alas, I don't have time to play many games, let alone write articles about them, especially not while attending important world governance meetings with Infinitron.

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
Interesting, it was the RPS interview where I really first came across the VD and his views. Then I bought AoD.

"When you have time, Kieron, how about writing an article explaining the difference between RPGs and shooters to your audience? Or maybe an article mentioning that the first computer games were real-time, not turn-based, and disputing the popular opinion that RT is more advanced than TB? I mean, it’s nice that your site tries to attract morons and makes them feel at home, but shouldn’t you be educating them too? It wouldn’t take much to double their IQs, so if you want, I can give you a hand there"

"And no, I don’t really care who’d think what and how my comments would affect sales. I’m making this game on a bold assumption that there are some people out there who are interested in complex games that aren’t made for retards.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Just read that RPS interview, fuck me talk about a bloke dropping some fucking uncomfortable truths, made me think of that "I'm mad as hell and i'm not gonna take it anymore." Fuck it gonna buy AoD see what the man has to say and demonstrate.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom