Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPG Codex Review and Digital Retrospective: Blood Bowl 2

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Tags: Blood Bowl; Blood Bowl 2; Cyanide

RPG Codex has strong ties to Games Workshop's Blood Bowl title, as our users have been competing against each other in digital versions of the game since our first in-house league in 2009, run by Mantiis. The game has since served as the perfect venue for talking smack about and harassing fellow Codexers, and so it was with typical trepidation that we received the news of a sequel to 2009's Blood Bowl being in development.

14016.jpg

In many ways, Blood Bowl 2 shares similarities with favourite Codex sequels like Baldur's Gate 2, Fallout 2 or Ultima VII: Serpent Isle in that it reuses so much from its original that it allowed its developers to focus more on content and polish than on developing systems from scratch. Does Blood Bowl 2 manage the same building-upon-solid-content improvements as the other games?

The question is whether Blood Bowl 2 succeeds in this delicate feat of renewal via reproduction. Did Cyanide manage to balance their new engine with the old systems to craft what is essentially a more polished, more playable, more content-rich, digital Blood Bowl game?

In the absence of an adequate ‘hahano’ gif, I have decided to instead provide you with the following review. Blood Bowl 2 is one-third regression, one-third status quo and one-third minor improvements.​

Well, we all knew where this was going. But at least the review also has a great look into Blood Bowl's digital past, which is coloured by Codex-favourite SSI! So there's that.

Read the full article: RPG Codex Review and Digital Retrospective: Blood Bowl 2

Wizfall

Cipher
Your part about Fumbbl is wrong, you don't need IRC at all (i have never use it and i started playing on Fumbbl in 2011...) and you don't need any planning to play in the Blackbox (it's matchmaking like in Cyanide BB1).
It's also very quick to create an account and have a team ready to play a game, just need to read the help section (which is easy to read and do not need any technical operation on your part except installing java that everyone already have anyway).
Also Chaos league by Cyanides was a very enjoyable game.
BB1 despite flaws was a great game and "quite" stable (i have around 95% completion rate in the private open league managed by Dode, very long i have not played there though)

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Blood Bowl, where everything is about minimizing luck until you roll eight ones and a two in three consecutive three dice rolls and quit forever and bitch about it on the internet whenever it's brought up.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Your part about Fumbbl is wrong, you don't need IRC at all (i have never use it and i started playing on Fumbbl in 2011...) and you don't need any planning to play in the Blackbox (it's matchmaking like in Cyanide BB1).

Like I state, IRC is only "needed" for Blackbox, and at least when I played which wasn't so long ago, I was told on their forums I needed the IRC client to play in the Blackbox. All info about matches and next opponent and such I received there as well. Of course I could be wrong, but what an odd thing to tell me in that case.

just need to read the help section

Imma stop you right there. Never claimed FUMBBL was insanely hard to use, only that it is far less accessible than something with a modern GUI where you just click "create team" and then "search for opponent."

Also Chaos league by Cyanides was a very enjoyable game.

So is BB.

BB1 despite flaws was a great game and "quite" stable

BB1 was a great game because Blood Bowl is a great game. The client is terrible. I play weekly in a league that we've run for six seasons now. We average 9 crashes/game-breaking bugs per season currently. "Stable" my ass. Game is 6 years old and is still in a state most games aren't even in on release.

First game, bro. RIP

Blood Bowl, where everything is about minimizing luck until you roll eight ones and a two in three consecutive three dice rolls and quit forever and bitch about it on the internet whenever it's brought up.

I know, isn't it great? :D

This is it, we hit rock bottom.

I blame my editor. It's convenient since he doesn't exist

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Do we actually have an active Codex league/cup right now? I might be interested in joining, either in BB1/BB2 or Fumbbl.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Do we actually have an active Codex league/cup right now? I might be interested in joining, either in BB1/BB2 or Fumbbl.

Not one currently, no. I'm running a Danish league and am considering signing up for next season of Orca Cola.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Not one currently, no. I'm running a Danish league and am considering signing up for next season of Orca Cola.
Yeah, I figured out there is no Codex competition right now, after some searching, and signed up for Orca Cola myself. I hope I will see you there.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom