Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Feargus interview at Game Informer reveals Obsidian's secret project is Stormlands reincarnation

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Armored Warfare; Dwarfs; Fallout; Fallout 2; Fallout 3; Fallout: New Vegas; Feargus Urquhart; Obsidian Entertainment; Pillars of Eternity; South Park: The Stick of Truth; Stormlands

Obsidian CEO Feargus Urquhart was a guest on Game Informer's weekly podcast show yesterday. In a very interesting interview lasting almost an hour and twenty minutes, Feargus spoke about how Obsidian found themselves developing a game like Armored Warfare, about his early career and how the game industry has changed since that time, about the development of the original Fallout games and his thoughts about Fallout 3, about Obsidian's experience working with various game engines, about the company's cancelled Seven Dwarves RPG, about South Park: The Stick of Truth and why it took so long to develop, about why more publishers don't fund open world RPGs despite their obvious popularity, about the cancellation of Stormlands (AKA Project North Carolina) that nearly sank Obsidian in 2012, about Fig and other new paradigms of game financing, and more. Watch it on YouTube now:

(starts at around 1:18:55)​

The highlight of the interview, however, is the revelation that Obsidian's secret RPG project, rumored to be in development since the beginning of 2014, is in fact a reincarnation of Stormlands. Although Feargus describes it as "very different from what it was", it still retains some ideas from the original game. It's going to be officially announced sometime within the next few months.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Anybody know what Stormlands' general concept was?

http://kotaku.com/5968952/the-knigh...e-some-of-the-coolest-role-playing-games-ever

When I asked Urquhart about North Carolina—the cancelled project that led to significant layoffs at Obsidian earlier this year—he said he couldn't talk much about it. It was an original IP—a big, third-person, open-world game designed and created by Obsidian. They pitched it to several publishers in 2011, complete with a fancy book full of ideas and concept art. But Urquhart couldn't say much more than that.

As a Microsoft-published XBox One launch title, it would no doubt be extremely popamole. This new incarnation might be better.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Mmm that whole conversation about open world in the interview and the droping this...just imagine a Dragon's Dogma style game by Obsidian
Just hevan!

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Fucking open world games! If only they were ereased from existence.

A GOOD open world cRPG would actually be refreshing.

And Obsidian actually knows what actual cRPG mechanics actually are. And they did a fairly decent job of an open world cRPG with New Vegas.

Last edited:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Gothic 1 and 2 were third person open world and they were fucking awesome. More recently Witcher 3 was open world and it was actually quite good overall.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Sounds cool, but unfortunately modern Obsidian seems to play as safe and streamlined as possible... not to mention BALANCED and Chris Avellone-free.

It would never be as old-school as Gothic, or as original as Dragon's Dogma. I doubt it would have the scope of Twitcher 3 or the mod support of Skyrim as well, so it's hard to get excited...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
not to mention BALANCED and Chris Avellone-free.

Actually, since development on this began almost two years ago, Avellone might have had some role in developing its setting and narrative.

It is probably Josh Sawyer-free, though.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
A GOOD open world cRPG would actually be refreshing.

And Obsidian actually knows what actual cRPG mechanics actually are. And they did a fairly decent job of an open world cRPG with New Vegas.
There are very, very few open world games which I enjoyed. Gothic 1-2, New Vegas, although NV only because of Obsidian writing and world building. Witcher 3 was ruined by open world style, just as Metal Gear Solid 5. It is not impossible to make an Open world game I enjoy, although I don't see it happenning in this day and age.

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Actually, since development on this began almost two years ago, Avellone might have had some role in developing its setting and narrative.

It is probably Josh Sawyer-free, though.

Couldn't this have been the secret project that Avellone was speculated to have been working on?

Deleted member 7219

Fuck. They weren't asked to work on South Park 2.

That is a kick in the balls, but I think it is probably because Ubisoft paid big bucks for the licence and Ubisoft do not work with independent developers. They have their own teams.

Deleted member 7219

New game sounds good, never enough AAA RPGs, even if its some dumb downed console concept.

Definitely agree. Obsidian making another RPG makes me fucking happy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom