Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Codex Scoop: inXile to develop Autoduel car RPG at new New Orleans studio?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Autoduel; Bard's Tale IV; Brian Fargo; InXile Entertainment; Matt Findley

Of all the mid-sized Kickstarter RPG developers, inXile Entertainment have arguably been the most proud of their small size and tight focus, lacking the AAA bloat of Obsidian, the global studio proliferation of Larian, and the off-kilter non-RPG side projects of Harebrained Schemes. For that reason, it was quite the surprise when Brian Fargo announced last night at a press conference that inXile was going to open a second studio in New Orleans. The new studio will eventually employ 50 people, which is more than they have right now. The details are available in a press release on the website of Louisiana governor Bobby Jindal. Here's an excerpt:

NEW ORLEANS – Today, Governor Bobby Jindal and inXile Entertainment founder and CEO Brian Fargo announced the company will establish a video game development studio in New Orleans. The company will create 50 new direct jobs over the next five years, with an average annual salary of $75,000, plus benefits. Louisiana Economic Development estimates the project will result in 64 indirect jobs for a total of more than 110 new jobs in Louisiana’s Southeast Region.

The new facility in New Orleans will be inXile’s first expansion outside its headquarters in Newport Beach, California. The company specializes in the development of interactive entertainment software for all popular game systems, ranging from the PlayStation 4 to iOS and Android smartphones. Game designers at inXile have been the creative force behind such titles as Torment: Tides of Numenéra, The Bard’s Tale and Wasteland 2.

Governor Jindal said, “With each new digital media investment, New Orleans is becoming a brighter beacon in the tech sector. Our strong business climate and highly skilled workforce are attracting innovative companies like inXile to our state, along with the great new jobs they’re creating. We’re confident they will find qualified professionals here in Louisiana as they provide creative, interactive entertainment to gamers around the world.”

Fargo founded inXile in 2002. Along with President Matthew Findley, Fargo guides the company in using cutting-edge game engines, including Unreal Engine 4 and Unity 5, as well as making in-roads in new technologies, such as virtual reality. The company employs a mix of studio veterans and new talent to collaborate on high-quality products. Building strong relationships with its core audiences, inXile uses this input to deliver high attention to detail for a memorable gaming experience.

“We are very excited to be opening inXile's first satellite office in the state of Louisiana,” Fargo said. “The people here have an amazing energy and friendly way that can only be understood when you visit. We’re proud to be part of the first wave of companies that will help establish Louisiana as the next major high-tech center. Every year, colleges and universities in Louisiana graduate qualified candidates that would love nothing more than to work in the games industry. We are proud to be a part of a movement to keep those talented people in Louisiana.”

A longtime industry veteran, Fargo established Interplay Entertainment in 1983, which became a Top 5 PC game publisher, producing some of the biggest franchises in video game history, including Bard’s Tale, Fallout and Wasteland. Fargo continued the Wasteland legacy at inXile with the production of Wasteland 2, which was recently financed by its fans through a Kickstarter campaign.

“We are proud to welcome inXile Entertainment to New Orleans. Digital media has become a major growth industry for our local economy, and that is why we are seeing companies like inXile choose to do business here,” New Orleans Mayor Mitch Landrieu said. “I applaud our economic development agencies for their partnership in positioning New Orleans and Louisiana as one of the best places to do business in the nation.”

LED and GNO Inc. began discussions with inXile in June 2015. To secure the development office project, the State of Louisiana offered a competitive incentive package that includes the services of LED FastStart® – the nation’s No. 1-ranked state workforce development program. The company, which is expected to utilize Louisiana’s Digital Interactive Media and Software Development Incentive, also will receive support from a combined $10,000 in relocation expenses from GNO Inc. and the New Orleans Business Alliance, or NOLABA.
The RPG Codex has been informed that the new studio will be staffed by a combination of new hires and existing inXile employees from California. Apparently, the government of Louisiana is providing very generous tax incentives. We've also been told that it'll be at least a month before details can be provided on what the new studio will be developing. My first guess would be that the New Orleans studio will be working on level design for The Bard's Tale IV, helping to achieve the high graphical bar inXile have aimed for at a lower cost. But according to a new interview at PC Gamer, inXile have "other production plans that we'll be announcing soon that I think people will find very interesting", so who knows what the future holds.

UPDATE: Oh boy, we've done it again! Codexer Jedi Master Radek, who discovered inXile's Van Buren trademark last year, has just noticed that inXile trademarked the name Autoduel back in July. The original Autoduel, developed by Origin back in the 1980s, was a Mad Max-like "car RPG" based on the Steve Jackson Games tabletop property Car Wars. Brian Fargo is of course known for his love of Mad Max, having even been in negotiations to develop a Mad Max game at Interplay back in the 1990s, and what better time to announce the development of such a game than after the release of a successful Mad Max film? It seems like a reasonable bet that this is what the new studio is going to be working on.

UPDATE 2: The plot thickens! It turns out that inXile's Maxx Kaufman was involved with an Autoduel Kickstarter project back in 2013 that ultimately failed. But that Autoduel was an online vehicular combat game, not an RPG. Is this going to be a second attempt at that, or a different thing altogether?

UPDATE 3: Returning to the original topic of this post, here's an article at local news site NOLA.com that reveals some more details about the New Orleans studio. Apparently, a dozen inXile employees have agreed to move there, along with second-in-command Matt Findley who will be in charge. The article also appears to confirm that the new studio will be working on The Bard's Tale IV, though of course that doesn't mean it's the only game they'll be working on.

My guess: Fargo is too good businessman to create a working engine (couldn't find a better term) or rule system and throw it away. I predict it will be either Wasteland 3 or more probably an expansion for W2. Especially that all which could lie a ground for an expansion was polished in Director Cut.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I am glad these developers are all so successful but I really hope they don't overreach, so the RPG Renaissance won't crumble like a house of cards.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Maybe Fargo will finally use his Van Buren license? Hope they won't slap the name on another Wasteland game though.

He has the trademark for the words Van Buren™. He does not own any rights to the Fallout Van Buren, because Fallout is owned by Zenimax/Bethesda.

Athelas

Arcane
He does however own the rights to make an RPG about the time-traveling president Van Buren set in the Meantime universe.

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
I recognize that business is business, but it's faintly sickening to think of Jindal as being even remotely connected to anything I like

pippin

Him trademarking Van Buren means inxile can use the leftovers of the original game, that is, all that wasn't included in New Vegas?

He has the trademark for the words Van Buren™. He does not own any rights to the Fallout Van Buren, because Fallout is owned by Zenimax/Bethesda.
I know that. It's just I don't like Wasteland's setting, so I would have wanted them to make another post-apoc setting using VB as a brand name, not necessarily the nuclear one. After all, we already got many of VB's plot ideas in F:NV.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Him trademarking Van Buren means inxile can use the leftovers of the original game, that is, all that wasn't included in New Vegas?

No, all it means is he can make a game with the title "Van Buren". That's what trademarks are.

Athelas

Arcane
Well, removing the Fallout references from the Van Buren plot shouldn't be impossible. For example, you could have a faction called The Brotherhood of Aluminum.

pippin

Whether or not FO3: Van Buren's design docs are the copyright of Bethesda is a different question.

That's what I really was talking about when I mentioned everything that wasn't included in NV. It seems weird to me that he would trademark just the name of an unfinished product.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Maybe the new studio will finally be able to create a good game under the InXile umbrella?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom