Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mod News Deus Ex: Revision mod released and (so far) it's Steam only

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Deus Ex; Deus Ex: Revision; Square Enix

If you're one of the types that stumbled on the RPG Codex's Top 70 PC RPG list by accident and are wondering how anyone can play something as outdated as the original Deus Ex, do not despair. Deus Ex: Revision mod, released on Steam today, is a thing that makes the original Deus Ex fancier, which makes it just the thing you need.

Deus Ex: Revision is a community-made overhaul of the 2000 classic. It features new environments, new music, and new world-building detail. It also bundles in some of the best modifications that the fanbase has made over the years, including Direct3D 9 rendering, high-resolution textures, high-detail 3D models, and alternative gameplay modes.

Key features
  • Locations throughout the game world have been re-designed with new aesthetic and gameplay detail.
  • A new soundtrack has been composed by the symphonic electronica duo
  • EdenShard, based on the original score.
  • High Resolution Textures courtesy of New Vision.
  • High Detail 3D models courtesy of Project HDTP.
  • Direct3D 9 Rendering courtesy of Chris Dohnal.
Rediscover the world of Deus Ex.​

It's an official release, endorsed by Square Enix as something that can tide you over before Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is released early next year.

David Anfossi, Head of Studio at Eidos-Montreal, added:

“One of the reasons that Deus Ex has been so popular for 15 years is the way in which the gaming community has embraced the ground-breaking gameplay and a narrative that looks to the future but is inspired by real-world events. Revision’ from Caustic Creative is a fantastic way for fans new and old to experience the original Deus Ex in a whole new way before Deus Ex: Mankind Divided® raises the bar once again.”​

Here's looking forward to them raising that bar up from the ground. In the meantime, you can grab the mod here, but only if you own the Steam version of Deus Ex.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
So, I played through the first mission and UNATCO in this mod. In general, it certainly feels more modern for both good and bad (although mostly bad in my opinion).

I detected very slight mechanical changes: Accuracy now caps at a worse rate, so even after standing still your shots won't be very accurate. This certainly gives it the modern feel where you can't make precision shots. You get a lot more ammo from the enemies too.

They've made a lot of map changes. Not much in terms enemies or resources (although the flamethrower guy is interesting) but by god did they add a lot of clutter(trees, park benches, bushes...). UNATCO has also been massively redesigned to add a bunch more offices. Didn't really see any substantial map changes, but I haven't played very long.

I don't really like the new maps, the clutter is too much for me and mostly just restricts sight and makes it more annoying to navigate.

I'd probably recommend you get GMDX instead of this. But it depends on what you want out of your nth replay of Deus Ex. Mechanical tuning to make the game challenging? Get GMDX. Fancier maps? Get Revision.

It being steam only is also massive decline. I seriously wonder what the devs did to get this kind of attention, including getting on the Steam news feed thing.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Giving money to the company that gave this travesty of a mod it's support? Nom de dieu.

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
I feel like graphical overhauls of Deus Ex are a huuuge mistake. some early 3D looked like shit, but some early 3D embraced its limitations. to this day I can get hypnotized by the halo of light on streetlamps in DE.

and if you've never played DE with the music turned off, you should. the game has excellent environmental soundscapes. I can't stand the soundtrack. but I don't like music in a vast majority of games. gimme immersive ambience that makes me feel like I'm there, not this noisy stuff that's constantly taking me out.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
DeusEx didn't really need new music and this mod seems to offer very little that isn't already available.

I already have high-res textured, DX9 support and more in my DeusEx game and hey I also have the amazing original music score. A big fat pass on this mediocre effort.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Eh, in all fairness music and textures are just add-ons. The bulk of this mod is that it expands all areas with added terrain, rooms, security, enemies, secrets. I'm all for pissing on the fact that it's steam only, but the actual mod is pretty impressive, even if it has the tendency to over-clutter some areas.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
It's been a long time(3 years) since I played DX. Just forgotten whether sticking to a pacifist or lethal combat path actually matters late game, does it? I know in the beginning NPCs treat you different depending on this.

Last edited:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
It's been a long time since I played DX. Just forgotten whether sticking to a pacifist or lethal combat path actually matters late game, does it? I know in the beginning NPCs treat you different depending on this.

Only the first 2 missions (Liberty Island and Castle Clinton) actually check for any violence, and the game reacts to that. None of the other missions matter. In the original however Castle Clinton is bugged, and it will always state there was a massacre there. This is fixed in the Shifter mod. I don't know if it is fixed in this though.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
IIRC in vanilla if anyone is killed, even if it's by Navarre and her goons and not by you, the "massacre" reactions are triggered. Shifter/GMDX etc fix this.
I believe that in vanilla you can avoid this if you enter by the sewers, do your task and leave again by the sewers without going in the courtyard at all, because if you exit to the front yard Navarre busts in all guns blazing and kills the sentries.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
So far from what I've played, Revision is a breath of fresh air. I play through DX every three years, and have done since it's release - this mod almost evokes the feeling of playing it for the very first time again. It definitely starts to shine the most late game though, where the map design originally took a dive (Paris). I think they need to fix the contrast on liberty island however, it's far too dark, and I can see how that throws people off.

There's also just a lot of minor details here and there too which are really neat, and make the hubs seem more authentic. They've worked well within the limitations of the engine, it feels official, like something Ion Storm could have done themselves had they more development time. The soundtrack is a nice touch, really impressive at times. There have been only a couple of tracks where I thought they didn't quite capture the tone of the original, especially the entrance into Versalife.

If you're a Deus Ex fanatic, play through it routinely every two to three years, but the world is appearing too familiar, I think you'll like this. It wipes the nostalgia goggles clean. If they could just combine this with the mechanical fixes of GMDX, that would be incredible.

Last edited:

grimace

Arcane
Patch 1.0.0.2 out
October 15 - MrRobotBear
We recently pushed our first two patches. Very small but hopefully they'll solve the issues mentioned below.

Changelog

Removed unhelpful config files so that players see the first-time configuration wizard. This solves an issue where display settings could be incorrectly configured. To see this wizard after the first-time launch, add "-changevideo" to the Steam launch options or game shortcut.

Fixed a bug where players would be unable to save games on drives with more then 2TB of free space.
Fixed a bug where the game would not recognize hostages in the Battery Park subway station as being saved.
Updated default settings for D3D10 for players looking to use that renderer.

How long can we expect patches? Should I wait until February 2016 to install?

How is the mouse acceleration issue?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom