Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Torment Kickstarter Update #48: Crisis Gameplay Video

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: InXile Entertainment; Jeremy Kopman; Torment: Tides of Numenera

It must be Pre-Release Gameplay Footage Day today. inXile just published a new Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter update announcing the release of the new C0 Alpha. This alpha release is the first to include a Crisis, one of Torment's set-piece combat scenarios. And this time, those of us who don't have access to the alpha get an official gameplay video too. Lead Crisis Designer Jeremy "Titan Canyon" Kopman narrates the video and explains further in the update:

When things get tense (and, more importantly, time-sensitive) in TTON, we enter a turn-based mode. Each individual character, as well as some elements of the environment, take one turn at a time. The order in which characters act is based on an initiative roll at the start of combat. Items, skill training, and abilities can provide an edge on this roll.

In a Crisis, you control the Last Castoff and any companions you may have. When it's a character's turn, they can take one Anoetic Action, one Occultic Action, set up one Defensive Maneuver (disabled for C0), as well as move (with the movement distance available determined by items, skills, and abilities).

The Anoetic Action is a quick, optional action, useful for triggering support abilities and cyphers. These include switching weapons, activating buffs, or employing traversal abilities like teleports – for instance, the companion Aligern can activate his Living Tattoos, providing a buff to the next action he takes. PCs don't need to use their Anoetic Action every turn, but when the circumstances are right they provide an opportunity to maximize effects and add to your tactical advantage.

Occultic Actions are the main actions for the turn. Attacks, most esoteries, and more complex and powerful cyphers consume this action. Alternately, PCs can use this action to interact with objects in the environment or even strike up a (fast-paced) conversation with their enemies. As described in the Crisis Concept document, interacting with objects and people is a key part of our Crisis design. Taking advantage of these options can tip the scales of a combat encounter or even end it outright.

For AST C0, we've chosen to leave the last type of action - Defensive Maneuvers - out for now. There are a couple reasons for this: 1) We didn't feel like the UI was quite ready for primetime; 2) We felt like there were plenty of mechanics for our players to learn as is; 3) The scenario used for C0 occurs early in the game, when your party would have relatively few defensive options available.

When we do include the feature in a future release, Defensive Maneuvers will function as toggles. You use them to set up how the PC will behave off-turn. For example, a crafty jack might choose to trade off some defensive readiness for the opportunity to attack enemies who become flanked or otherwise distracted. A brave glaive might choose to sacrifice for his allies, interposing himself between an enemy and his besieged friend.​

The rest of the update explains in detail the mechanics of applying Effort in a Crisis. It's pretty cool stuff - obviously inspired by The Banner Saga but a lot more complex. I don't think there are going to be any more alphas after this, so it's on to the beta now.

Athelas

Arcane
Looks cool. I predict lots of butthurt whenever people invest effort into an attack only to end up missing due to bad rolls. :cool:

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
4yUdbPAke.jpg

Nyv_bwAye.png

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
"A slight yet implacable sense of unease surrounds the device." Ayyy, I'm going to have problems with this writing.

Last edited:

Athelas

Arcane
"A slight yet implacable sense of unsease surrounds the device." Ayyy, I'm going to have problems with this writing.
Do you take issue with the writing style, or with the fact that the device actually helps you, thus rendering the description inaccurate?

By the way, will enemies be able to interact with the environment too?

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Do you take issue with the writing style, or with the fact that the device actually helps you, thus rendering the description inaccurate?

Well, calling something "implacable" seems to imply having spent a certain amount of time trying to placate it, and since this is a description for a fast in-combat action, it feels a bit out of place. I imagine the character quickly scanning the battlefield and thinking "wait, there's a slight but implacable sense of unease three steps ahead!" Actually, all the verbose descriptions seem out of place in the middle of what's supposed to be a fast combat scenario.

Unwanted

Irenaeus II

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
Well, calling something "implacable" seems to imply having spent a certain amount of time trying to placate it, and since this is a description for a fast in-combat action, it feels a bit out of place. I imagine the character quickly scanning the battlefield and thinking "wait, there's a slight but implacable sense of unease three steps ahead!" Actually, all the verbose descriptions seem out of place in the middle of what's supposed to be a fast combat scenario.

In combat, centiseconds feel like hours.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
In the grim darkness of the millionth millenium, there is only magenta.

Does walking and doing stuff around while your enemies are mysteriously frozen in place also feel out of place in a fast combat scenario? ;)

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Does walking and doing stuff around while your enemies are mysteriously frozen in place also feel out of place in a fast combat scenario? ;)

I don't think the characters actually experience combat the same way the player does. The descriptions are addressed at the characters, however.

Athelas

Arcane
As a matter of fact it does. More games should emulate the interrupt system from Jagged Alliance 2.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
As a matter of fact it does. More games should emulate the interrupt system from Jagged Alliance 2.
I hope not, I never liked it how it works in JA2. In a proper CRPG it should be about delaying your action by setting a condition.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
The descriptions are addressed at the characters, however.

But what you were talking about there is the effect in the description that the character shouldn't have had time to placate. Yet in the space of one single turn, a character probably can encounter situations where a status effect hits him and is immediately "placated" (or not).

Are you arguing that descriptions, by nature of their different format and presentation, should be understood to exist in a kind of parallel time flow where stuff like that shouldn't happen?

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
As I see it, a brief but intense sensation that cannot be ignored could not be called "implacable." "Implacable" means that it continuously exterts its effects and cannot be suppressed; you can't really convey that in an instant.

tdphys

Learned
As I see it, a brief but intense sensation that cannot be ignored could not be called "implacable." "Implacable" means that it continuously exterts its effects and cannot be suppressed; you can't really convey that in an instant.

I don't think you should constrain a writer to instantaneous descriptions.... In this case... the written description is read once and understood to be covering the next few seconds/minutes of discovery. (inside and out of combat?)

How else would you like them to describe "implacable sense" in the middle of combat;

Maybe a shortened sense feed:

[ Seen: Device - feels uneasy]
1 second...
[ Device - still uneasy sense, sense might be implacable ]
2 second ..
[Device - yep probably implacable sense of unease ]
3 second ..
[Device - definitely no placating here... this is one device with an implacable sense of unease ]

That being said... I agree at high crisis it would probably make sense to make certain observation/senses unreadable in order to heighten the intensity... " do I push the big red button, even though I don't have time to read the owners manual because I'm about to be mauled"

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
So... there are no attacks of opportunity or zones of control or anything that would punish him for running around the battlefield like a headless chicken? ;x

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
^ Nice try :P

Anyway, yeah, the UI and especially the combat UI, looks like crap, but hopefully it will change as they said it's placeholder.

I also hope this whole area is placeholder, since it looks like a clusterfuck :

HBvwOtT.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom