Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dark Souls III Coming in April 2016, Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen in January

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Capcom; Dark Souls III; Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen; From Software; Namco Bandai

From Software's Dark Souls III is coming to the West in April 2016, according to the announcement made by Bandai Namco:

Embrace the Darkness on April, 2016

The famed publisher and developer revealed that the 3rd episode of the acclaimed Dark Souls series for PlayStation, Xbox One and PC will be released on April, 2016 in Europe, Middle-East, Africa and Australasia!​

This time, it sounds like the PC release is coming simultaneously with (or at least in the same month as) the console versions.

Here's also some early gameplay footage. Can you see "the Miyazaki touch"?

In other, more unexpected news, Dragon's Dogma, which resident action RPG fans have been fawning over ever since it was released on the PS3 and Xbox 360 back in 2012 (or 2013 if we take the "expanded and enhanced" Dark Arisen version), is coming to Steam in January 2016, per Capcom's surprise announcement last week:

As of January 2016, the epic fantasy action-RPG Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen will be available on Windows PC for $29.99 / € 29.99 / £ 24.99, with full Steam platform support. Huzzah!

In case you missed it on console, Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen is an awesome, inspired, sprawling fantasy game set in an open world, where players create their own unique character and supporting, AI-controlled characters known as Pawns, which can be “rented” and shared online by other players. Battle giant mythical beasts, master a variety of distinct vocations, and explore atmospheric dungeons to uncover endless items and loot.

The PC version will feature stunningly high-res graphics and improved fidelity, as well as support for both the Xbox 360 and Xbox One controllers, as well as a traditional keyboard and mouse control scheme.​

It even has a Steam page already (apparently unavailable in some regions according to a tweet I received, though I hope only temporarily).

I guess Capcom saw the multi-platform success of Dark Souls and now want a piece of that pie. Well, works for me. I just hope the port is at least semi-competent.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
MT Framework is one of the most solid engines ever without any bad ports that I know of, so I don't see how this port wouldn't be the same. :M

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's not an rpg in my opinion either, but it's incline. At least, DS1 was. . And the others too in comparison to other games I suppose.

Grimlorn

Arcane
It has stats and levels, is set in a fantasy world, and like a dungeon crawler. It's a RPG.

Goblino

Savant
c-capcom sensei..... I-I'm CUMMMMING I'M CUMMINGGGGGG KYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Shadenuat

Arcane
For all the heavy armor, character hops around like ballerina
Boss looks very good though, with fluid, dangerous and unpredictable move set

Akratus

Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
c-capcom sensei..... I-I'm CUMMMMING I'M CUMMINGGGGGG KYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
:hmmm:

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Insta-heal estus spamming is back, so looks like it will be.
:decline:
Yeah but the gamespeed looks up so it will compensate, everything looks like the series will be getting back on track after a lackluster Dark Souls 2 but some competent DLC and of course Bloodborne

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
If nothing else because they dont improve on some core stuff, souls games really are beautiful aesthetically.

I like the gameplay, but wish From focused more on platforming, bigger maps, more move sets etc. At this rate they are just milking it raw.

Xenich

Cipher
I don't understand the fanaticism about this game. People go on and on about it is "Hardcore", I played it, it isn't anything more than an average arcade game to which we commonly played in the 80's. It has no special merit, it isn't anything to write home about. In fact, it is less difficult than games of old. If they want to make it equal to the 80's arcade game, then remove saves and make it so someone has to beat the entire game without losing (aside from limited extra lives someone can pick up within the game).

Akratus

Patron
Dark Souls 1 has great art design, level design, atmosphere, soundtrack. It's one of the better action games out there.

But it is true how retardedly over-pronounced the supposedly "punishing", "unforgiving" etc. difficulty of the games is, by press and popamole fans. It just brought back nintendo hard.

Xenich

Cipher
Dark Souls 1 has great art design, level design, atmosphere, soundtrack. It's one of the better action games out there.

But it is true how retardedly over-pronounced the supposedly "punishing", "unforgiving" etc. difficulty of the games is, by press and popamole fans. It just brought back nintendo hard.

I sat one of my nephews down one time and made them play my Colecovision after they went on about how they were an ace gamer. Little shit whined and gave every excuse under the sun as to why they couldn't even get past the first level on most of the games I had him play. Kids these days think they deserve praise for just breathing, its ridiculous.

Xenich

Cipher
Watch out, guys, that Xenich dude is fucking hardcore.

LOL Hardcore... Calling me hardcore is like calling an old guy walking in the park hardcore. The problem isn't me being "exceptional", the problem is with kids being inept. But hey... I am hardcore if it makes you feel better about yourself, and that is what you kids worry about these days right? Feeling about how you feel and such? Want a tissue cupcake? You going to cry there buttercup? /boggle

Athelas

Arcane
I don't understand the fanaticism about this game. People go on and on about it is "Hardcore", I played it, it isn't anything more than an average arcade game to which we commonly played in the 80's. It has no special merit, it isn't anything to write home about. In fact, it is less difficult than games of old. If they want to make it equal to the 80's arcade game, then remove saves and make it so someone has to beat the entire game without losing (aside from limited extra lives someone can pick up within the game).
Actually, if they wanted to make it like an 80's arcade game, they would only allow you to continue after death if you inserted a coin made a micro-transaction for it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom