Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pillars of Eternity: The White March Part 1 Released

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Adam Brennecke; Obsidian Entertainment; Pillars of Eternity; Pillars of Eternity: The White March

The first part of the Pillars of Eternity: The White March expansion was released a short while ago, along with the game's 2.0 update. Here's the expansion's release trailer and the description from its Steam page:

Pillars of Eternity: The White March - Part I is a large sprawling expansion pack with hours of gameplay integrated into the main adventure. Along with the new quests and area content, the team at Obsidian continues to support and make improvements to the entire game, including the additions of Player Party AI and Enhanced Enemy AI. Even if you haven't played Pillars of Eternity, now is a great time to jump in and experience the hardcore classic RPG with The White March - Part I.
  • Raised level cap: Your party of six adventurers can now progress beyond level 12 to 14. The additional levels add powerful new spells, abilities and talents for all 11 classes.
  • New areas to explore: Largely focused on the snowy environments inspired by Icewind Dale, the expansion will feature a new quest hub, and many additional quests and dungeons.
  • Soulbound weapons: The expansion features mighty artifacts that grow stronger over time. These weapons gain different powers and attributes depending on the character class that binds to it.
  • New companions: Part 1 of the expansion introduces two new companions you will be able to use throughout all of your adventures. The Devil of Caroc, a rogue, and Zahua, a monk, will be available to join you on your quest in The White March and will travel back with you into the base game.
  • Multi-class talents: Classes will now have additional options to diversify and take on some of the abilities of other classes.
  • Party AI: Now you will have the option to set AI scripts for your party, allowing you to focus on controlling the characters you care about most.
  • Enhanced Enemy AI: Enemies and monsters are now smarter than ever. The new AI makes the entire game more of a challenge, and spell casters will use a wider variety of their spells in more devastating ways.
  • Respec: At any inn or tavern the player can re-level their party members. It gives flexibility for the player to experiment with the RPG systems and try out builds with the newly added multi-class talents. If you aren't completely satisfied with your character, you can now do a rebuild and start over fresh.

The Patch 2.0 changelog is available here. Obsidian have also released a video about the soulbound weapons mechanic. It's worth noting that in addition to the above, The White March and Patch 2.0 apparently include BG2-esque features such as damage type immunities and weapons with a chance to apply a magical effect on hit, including even instant death effects. Combine that with the hints of a possible mage duel and we might be looking at something interesting here.

Pillars of Eternity: The White March - Part 1 is now available on Steam and GOG for the price of $15. You can also grab it together with a pre-order for the second part for $25, which I assume comes out cheaper. Those of you who pre-ordered the expansion during the Kickstarter campaign can get their keys at Obsidian's portal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't wait to discuss some new PoE content, without the rabid haters this time (after all why would a hater play this new expansion?)

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I thought I'd get the expansion as a $140 backer, but I guess not. I was on the fence of giving it a spin but I guess this saves me the trouble.

throwaway

Cipher
Is there anything beyond the IWD comparisons I was glancing over when it was announced or should I keep ignoring this?

ROARRR

Savant
Possibly Retarded
I thought I'd get the expansion as a $140 backer, but I guess not. I was on the fence of giving it a spin but I guess this saves me the trouble.
I am a backer too and I am downloading the game over steam at the moment...well it actually happened automatically. Did you got it from GOG?

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I am a backer too and I am downloading the game over steam at the moment...well it actually happened automatically. Did you got it from GOG?
  • Digital Download of Expansion Pack +$20 (included in tiers $165 and above)
I actually bought this (lol).

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
are you sure it's the expansion and not the patch?

murloc_gypsy

Cipher
How many hours is this anticipated to be?

16 minutes.

Installation - 5 min
Actual game time until you realize it's shit - 10 mins
Uninstall - 1 min

j3uJvFv.png

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Almost afraid to bring this up around here but looking at my backer portal it appears I still have a Hero Edition key for PoE... anyone interested in it? It can be either a Steam or a GOG key.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Almost afraid to bring this up around here but looking at my backer portal it appears I still have a Hero Edition key for PoE... anyone interested in it? It can be either a Steam or a GOG key.
Begging for that key is ike coming out of the closet. Let's see who'll do it. :avatard:

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
A friend of mine could use it, he's a big fan of Sawyer's work, but poor as a bum. (steam)

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
When did what happen? We restricted the Gift thread to one year or older accounts to prevent lurkers from snatching keys.
Oh yeah, I forgot the II on Excidium's name... :oops: Thought that thread had been moved to some hidden corner of the Codex.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom