Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Feargus Urquhart talks about new crowdfunding platform Fig and Obsidian's future

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Feargus Urquhart; Fig; Justin Bailey; Obsidian Entertainment

Those of you who read our forums probably already heard about Fig yesterday. If you haven't, well, in short, it's a new, highly curated, video game-specific crowdfunding platform created by former Double Fine COO Justin Bailey, which aims to combine traditional rewards-based crowdfunding with equity-based investment to achieve larger budgets for game development. What makes Fig notable to us is that RPG bigwigs Brian Fargo and Feargus Urquhart, as well as Double Fine's Tim Schafer, are members of its advisory board. They will be responsible for curating the projects on the site and all have promised to launch their own future crowdfunding campaigns on it.

Our more perceptive readers quickly noted that while inXile had only recently concluded their crowdfunding campaign for The Bard's Tale IV on Kickstarter, Obsidian had not returned to crowdfunding since their initial outing back in 2012. Perhaps, then, the founding of Fig is a sign that Obsidian's long-awaited next crowdfunded RPG is not far off? This interview on VentureBeat with Feargus and Justin Bailey may point to that. Here are the relevant bits:

GamesBeat: Does this mean that the companies involved. Will Obsidian, InXile, and Double Fine not use Kickstarter in the future?

Urquhart: For our next games, absolutely [we won’t use Kickstarter]. But to be clear, we just worked with another company to do a board game. We did the Pillars of Eternity card game. That would still be something we’d use other crowdfunding sites to do, just because it’s not what we do, but it’s connected. I don’t want to say we would never do anything affiliated with any of the other crowdfunding outlets. But for games, this is why we’re getting together to do this together. And I’ll say together once more.

GamesBeat: For someone who’s used to the traditional Kickstarter investment or preorder system, how would you explain the difference in this equity funding?

Urquhart: To answer the why of it, it’s not just about how to be different from an Indiegogo or Kickstarter or things like that. It’s about having things keep on moving forward from 2012, when there was that huge boom in crowdfunding for video games. That changed our company immeasurably. We have our own brand now. We get to make Eternity games now, so long as we make good ones. That’s awesome. Allowing game-makers to have that opportunity is great.

Now, the difference is, what can we do from there? That’s what Fig does. That’s the connection. It’s not just crowdfunding. If we want to make bigger stuff, if we want to involve people even more in what we’re doing, this takes crowdfunding to a point where people can fund $50,000 games, or $2 million games, or $5 million games. Hopefully we can even get to $10 million and $15 million games. That’s great for the independent game development scene, allowing that. That’s what the difference is. It’s about why we want to do it.

GamesBeat: Feargus, we know we’ll see some sort of Obsidian games on here. Is this going to be what people would expect from an Obsidian game, an RPG sort of experience?

Urquhart: We can probably say it’s going to be an RPG. [Laughs] Obviously we like certain genres and setting. It wouldn’t be for our first one, but there’s definitely a setting we’d love to return to and make an awesome game in. That’s something we’ve been talking about a lot lately.​

GamesBeat: Are traditional publishers responding to this kind of crowdfunding revolution in any way? Are they coming back to some of these studios, saying to Obsidian or Double Fine, “We’d like to take more chances on you guys?” Or are you guys just off doing a new thing and they don’t notice?

Urquhart: I get asked a lot about how publishers have responded to us doing crowdfunding. Unfortunately some of the funniest stories I probably can’t tell you. But the thing is — if I had to guess, they watch it, but it’s not — take Activision and Call of Duty. One, they can fund it themselves and it’s $100 million they’re spending a year, I’m guessing. It’s just not a part of their world. We’re talking about the next Star Wars movie relative to something like Clerks. They’re in totally different worlds.

But because, as you see studios like us, the studios that have been successful, even in comparison to something like Gearbox — they haven’t done crowdfunding. Because of Borderlands, they have a firm base like the rest of us. That changes the conversation when we’re talking to publishers. We have our own brand, more of our own brands. We’re a little bit more financially secure. And so I think it’s changing the conversation between the bigger independent developers and publishers. I think they like it.

What’s interesting, I think, is that if you look at more of the boutique publishers — sometimes I don’t know if they like to be referred to that way, but if you look at something like Deep Silver or Paradox or 505, for them, that changes it a lot, because it all depends on how much we want to do the publishing of our own games. It can create these interesting partnerships, like we did with Paradox and inXile did with Koch for physical distribution of Wasteland 2. That’s where it’s changing in particular.

What’s great for us is that we can also look at it like, what can we do with Eternity now? How big could we take Eternity now that we have it and it’s ours? What I mean by that is, you’ll start seeing larger ripples in the impact on the larger publishers. Not this year, but in years to come.​

We know that in the past Feargus has talked about "Kickstarting a Skyrim", and back in May, he even said they were "looking at that right now". According to Justin Bailey's LinkedIn account, Fig was founded in March. It looks like that wasn't just talk. The comparison with Gearbox is telling. If I may editorialize, I believe the ultimate goal here is to transform Obsidian into a company that can finance its own Fallout: New Vegas-calibre hit and dictate terms to publishers and investors, instead of being beholden to their whims. If Fig is a success, maybe they'll be able to pull that off sooner than we imagined.

Unwanted

Irenaeus II

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
Now, the difference is, what can we do from there? That’s what Fig does. That’s the connection. It’s not just crowdfunding. If we want to make bigger stuff, if we want to involve people even more in what we’re doing, this takes crowdfunding to a point where people can fund $50,000 games, or $2 million games, or $5 million games. Hopefully we can even get to $10 million and $15 million games. That’s great for the independent game development scene, allowing that. That’s what the difference is. It’s about why we want to do it.

What a confusing paragraph.

Unfortunately some of the funniest stories I probably can’t tell you.

This could be interesting/amusing.

That changes the conversation when we’re talking to publishers. We have our own brand, more of our own brands. We’re a little bit more financially secure. And so I think it’s changing the conversation between the bigger independent developers and publishers. I think they like it.

This seems like acknowledgement that the big publishers are more likely to deal with/invest in projects of medium companies that are not in significant risk of bankrupting. Ok, this is interesting.

I still have problems with the whole Skyrim/iOS/SJWindie mentality. I know they want to make money and that's fair, but I want good cRPGs and not this shit or, even worse, Star Citizen grade scams.

Tim Shafer go to hell

Last edited:

karnak

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
For a change it'd be good to have a game crowdfunding site that's not filled with scams, visual novels, JRPGs and MMOs.

Last edited:

norolim

Arcane
I don't visit General Gaming, so I only just learned about this Fig thing from a potato site. Schafer's and DF's involvement means I'll be very cautious and reluctant to participate. Shame, because it looks interesting on paper.

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
"We make Eternity games now!".....and Wot clones...and shitty russian mmos....

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
"We make Eternity games now!"

It's worth noting that despite him saying that, it sounds like the game they're going to, uh, "Figstart" will NOT be an Eternity game.

Derp

Last edited:

getter77

Augur
I suppose something like this was bound to happen as ambitions continued to rise and KS was unwilling, or unable, to aggressively improve in a pointed manner. With the myriad tools for game development more powerful and more straightforward to wield than at any point in the history of the industry by far, they want to capitalize on that and push things to the hilt and beyond---which ultimately takes a combination of ample time and people needing some serious sustained funds to not merely survive, but thrive. Hard to say whether this incarnation of the sentiment will make it work, or if they'll rouse KS to action in a substantive way, but it'll be a sight to behold ahead for sure.

Harold

Arcane
It's worth noting that despite him saying that, it sounds like he's saying the game they're going to, uh, "Figstart" will NOT be an Eternity game.
In a last ditch attempt to bring MCA back, Obsidian announces the revisiting of a much-beloved setting with Descent to Undermountain 2! It's gonna be
0000541_bgz-figs-anjeer-pkt-100gms_300.jpeg
alicious

norolim

Arcane
Oh, I didn't notice that Aaron Isaksen is involved. He's an even bigger red flag than Schafer. Guess I won't be backing any more inXile and Obsidian games.

mondblut

Arcane
If one penny from these figstarters goes to indiecade or tim sockpuppet and his tranny friends, I am never paying for anything inxile or obsidian again.

Here lies Fargo, a hero in bed.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
"Kickstarting a Skyrim"

That had the sort of sloppy "me too" shit vibe already when it was new. Can't see myself taking part in a capmpaign that sounds like tongue-twiggle flirting with mainstream; if it so happens that that's where they are going.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It's worth noting that despite him saying that, it sounds like the game they're going to, uh, "Figstart" will NOT be an Eternity game.

Eora is a big world with a lot of time periods. :M

Meaning they could make a game like Skyrim set in the Pillars of Eternity world.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Oops, I somehow skipped over "it wouldn't be for our first one". Yeah, so the next one might be PoE2.

Last edited:
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Oops, I somehow skipped over "it wouldn't be for our first one". Yeah, so the next one might be PoE2.

Well, I anticipate PoE's eventual fate is to be mainstreamed in one sense or another, either as a Elder Scrolls or Kotor style of game. In the short term making an isometric "more of the same but better" sequel would be a good way to get old backers involved with the new Fig platform.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
looking forward to people begging feargus to add avellone as a stretchgoal to figs of eternity

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom