Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Age of Decadence development in the final stretch, release on October

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Age of Decadence; Iron Tower Studios; Oscar Velzi; Vault Dweller

In the past few months, it's become clear that The Age of Decadence has entered its final stage of development. The expository monthly forum updates have ceased, because I guess there's just not much more to talk about, replaced with frequent and punctual Early Access updates as the game converges towards content completion. In fact, the latest such update announces that Early Access updates will now be moving to a bi-weekly schedule. The Iron Tower guys are now confident enough to publicly announce a release window for the game - October.

Release plans:

We’re planning to release the game in October. So far we’re on track and we fixed a lot of issues in the last 2 months, as you can see. For the next 2 months we’re switching from monthly to bi-weekly updates to respond faster.

We’re planning to release the final location by the end of August. At that point the game will be content-complete. We’ll test, tweak, and polish through September and early October (so far we’ve allocated 6 weeks) and release.​

Let's hope they make it. See the full update announcement for the changelog, which is quite extensive. So extensive, in fact, that it hit Steam's word limit. A larger version is available on the ITS forums.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
don't forget to add the codex memes VD

Why.jpeg

Learned
I look forward to spending my Halloween enjoying the game over screen no less than 15 times.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
The problem of this patch is that it breaks the previous balance of the game (however good it was) in a half. The changes are actually colossal, both because of new skill points cost and the armor damage changes. They also probably erase a lot of previous changes and balancing. And the release is in october, yeah. Gonna be a really polished one.

Starwars

Arcane
Gonna be awesome! Will be great to see what's happened with the game since I last played it (shortly after Maadoran was released).

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The problem of this patch is that it breaks the previous balance of the game (however good it was) in a half. The changes are actually colossal, both because of new skill points cost and the armor damage changes. They also probably erase a lot of previous changes and balancing. And the release is in october, yeah. Gonna be a really polished one.
Looks like it. Not sure if it's for the best or not, but I'm quite sure we'll still find a way to make viable builds. I've been playing a 2-h hammer + heavy armor high int high str dodger lately and wonder how knockdown changes will impact this build. Knockdown was really important.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
The problem of this patch is that it breaks the previous balance of the game (however good it was) in a half.
I thought the balance was "lolbroken" before.

The changes are actually colossal, both because of new skill points cost and the armor damage changes. They also probably erase a lot of previous changes and balancing. And the release is in october, yeah. Gonna be a really polished one.
We pay attention to feedback (including yours) and we test combat quite a lot. We feel the changes are warranted. If some of the changes break something (other than things that shouldn't have been possible in the first place), we'll reverse them.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Looks like it. Not sure if it's for the best or not, but I'm quite sure we'll still find a way to make viable builds. I've been playing a 2-h hammer + heavy armor high int high str dodger lately and wonder how knockdown changes will impact this build. Knockdown was really important.

EDIT: Took a look at the changes. Gave it a 10 THC penalty, less distance, a chance for a 2 turn knockdown on critical.

Last edited:

Pope Amole II

Developer
I thought the balance was "lolbroken" before.

That's why the "however good it was" remark. The thing is, you always try to fix the faults of your game by making a 180 degree turn. But make two of those and you have a full circle.

Like, so once you had a "lots of SP, heavy costs" balance. You didn't like it because it made hybrid builds too easy so you've cut on the gains - that was the "mediocre SP, heavy costs" version that was until now, one that is really focused on min-maxing and/or focusing. Now we have "mediocre SP, low costs" - which is for the better of the storyfags, true. But the point is, what's the difference between this and the first one? It's like a year of playtesting thrown in a window.

Don't tell me that you're going to do "even fewer SP, low costs" next.

We feel the changes are warranted.

The changes are warranted, ofc, but these are way, way too global and impactful. Say, Vahhabyte's trademark 5-10-5-8-8-4 spearman - do you really need to push it even further? Because you just did. Or what's the point of trashing the daggers so severely that from a flexible weapon they become monobuild? On the other hand, axes and hammers are really, really one-sided weapons and nothing is done to fix that. And dodge & block balance - whereas dodge is decent now whether with or without crafting, block now absolutely demands the investment there. The non-crafted shields are made from the wet cardboard.

I dunno, I don't follow AoD that closely, but every time I see a patch log I see changes THI-I-IS big. Which, in my opinion, is not how the balace is achieved.

I've been playing a 2-h hammer + heavy armor high int high str dodger lately and wonder how knockdown changes will impact this build. Knockdown was really important.

As far as I can tell, only the small hammer knockdown was that harshly affected - the sledge one looks fine. Maybe not as broken as it was, but still useful.

Vault Dweller

Developer
That's why the "however good it was" remark. The thing is, you always try to fix the faults of your game by making a 180 degree turn. But make two of those and you have a full circle.

Like, so once you had a "lots of SP, heavy costs" balance. You didn't like it because it made hybrid builds too easy so you've cut on the gains - that was the "mediocre SP, heavy costs" version that was until now, one that is really focused on min-maxing and/or focusing. Now we have "mediocre SP, low costs" - which is for the better of the storyfags, true. But the point is, what's the difference between this and the first one? It's like a year of playtesting thrown in a window.

Don't tell me that you're going to do "even fewer SP, low costs" next.
First of all, we had "lots of SP, heavy costs" when we had less than 50% of the game (i.e. SP/cost balance was nothing but a placeholder, not something even remotely resembling semi-final balance). When people complained that Maadoran was too easy, we scaled back and went too far, but again, it was nothing but a temporary fix as our focus was on the content. Now that we have 21 locations in place, we start fine-tuning the sp gain, skill costs, and such.

You make it sound like we did nothing but tested SP/cost balance for a year, then said 'fuck it' and changed it. It's not the case at all.

I dunno, I don't follow AoD that closely, but every time I see a patch log I see changes THI-I-IS big. Which, in my opinion, is not how the balace is achieved.
Duly noted.

Anyway, we *are* interested in what you have to say. It goes without saying that we reserve the right to disagree (I hope you're ok with it), but we'll definitely consider your input.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
On the other hand, axes and hammers are really, really one-sided weapons and nothing is done to fix that.

How are they one-sided? Any suggestions on fixes?

And dodge & block balance - whereas dodge is decent now whether with or without crafting, block now absolutely demands the investment there. The non-crafted shields are made from the wet cardboard.

I don't find basic shields that useless. In any case, crafted shields are available from merchants in later locations (trading will get a new pass). So, basic shields will be mostly used on early game, and you can buy/loot crafted ones as you go.

Now, that doesn't override crafting. Crafting gives you:

- Get ahead on the loot/buy curve by getting better shields earlier.
- Flexibility to get the kind of shield you want.
- The best shields are done by crafting.

Regarding SP, it affects the high end of skills, and checks and enemies were rebalanced accordingly. Teron balance is unaffected, and mostly affects late Maadoran and Ganezzar.

Pope Amole II

Developer
How are they one-sided? Any suggestions on fixes?

TBH, I'd rather condense all the feedback one the patch (and on the balance overall) in one thick 20 minute or so video. That may not be the most convenient thing for you, but I'm sorta youtuber nowadays. If that doesn't suit you, I'll try to write a huge post or smth like that, but I'm not sure if that's gonna be easier to process.

Vault Dweller

Developer
If that doesn't suit you, I'll try to write a huge post or smth like that, but I'm not sure if that's gonna be easier to process.
It would be best if you write down. It doesn't have to be a huge post. Just list issues that bother you, explaining briefly if possible, suggest solutions if you feel like it, and we'll take it from there.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Does anyone know/remember how this Thursday madness came into being? :)

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
TBH, I'd rather condense all the feedback one the patch (and on the balance overall) in one thick 20 minute or so video. That may not be the most convenient thing for you, but I'm sorta youtuber nowadays. If that doesn't suit you, I'll try to write a huge post or smth like that, but I'm not sure if that's gonna be easier to process.

Huge posts are my favourites (if properly formatted and each issue to the point). I can't stand a video for the life of me.

Last edited:

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
VD can we have a GOG release too? I want to give you my money but not even your game will convince me to install that DRM POS in my computer...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom