Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review AdventureDex Review: The Magic Circle, an RPG without the "RPG" - or, On Games and "Notgames"

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Question Games; The Magic Circle

Looking Glass Studios was a unique game development wonder that went out too quickly. Instead of pursuing Doug Church's and Randy Smith's ambition of giving the player enough freedom and tools to "co-author" the game, the industry has taken a turn towards severely controlled (and controlling) AAA design, on one hand, and in an important sense no less restricted "notgames" or "walking simulators," on the other.

Made by a trio of ex-Ion Storm, Irrational Games and Arkane developers, The Magic Circle is a meta-game about the the past, present, and future of this thing called video games, which makes fun of those and other industry trends while digging deeply, but also humorously, into the tensions of the game development process and calling for a return to Looking Glass design principles.

That is what makes The Magic Circle's commentary on the industry so interesting, but also ultimately so old-fashioned and so, dare I say, aligned in an important way with RPG Codex's sensibilities. It is coming from a very specific design perspective, best encapsulated by terms like "player freedom" and "emergent" (or tool-based) gameplay. Putting you inside a Looking Glass Style-style first-person RPG with unfinished "RP" and "G" parts, The Magic Circle has you play the video game development equivalent of Wizardry IV's Werdna, half-forgotten, half-reviled, stripped of his powers, having his revenge on the "do-gooder" developers themselves and constructing his army of minions with in-game tools he discovers along the way.

I think the issues that The Magic Circle raises are generally important, and so this review, too, is "meta" in that it doubles as an essay on games and "notgames." I want to explain not only what The Magic Circle is like as a game, what it is trying to tell and do, and where it succeeds or fails, but also what "notgames" are and why, pretending to be a deconstruction of what makes a video game, they must be deconstructed themselves in order to go from notgames back (or rather, forward) to games -- a sensibility that, I believe, The Magic Circle exemplifies.

Have a snippet:

Notgames like Tale of Tales’ titles, Dear Esther, Journey, Kentucky Route Zero or Gone Home, also known derisively as “walking simulators,” attempt to subvert the expectations of what a video game is. To that end, they usually focus on the narrative, the atmosphere, and the player’s feelings in contrast to (the traditionally conceived notion of) player agency, exposing the latter’s limits as they have been internalized by the industry. Notgames are literally de-constructive, as they disassemble gameplay down to its basic components like walking around and triggering narrative or evocative events. For the most part, they present themselves as empathic experiences that purposefully avoid challenging the player, except emotionally. No matter how hard Adrian Chmielarz, the developer behind The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, criticizes Tale of Tales’ latest output, Sunset, his game is itself prefaced by “This is a narrative experience” – and indeed, has no gameplay “obstacles” to speak of. As such, it is perfectly in spirit of Michaël Samyn’s manifesto.

Now, deconstruction can be important to lay bare what makes a game. However – and here you can see that The Magic Circle has followed these developments closely – what if we start from that zero point and have the player re-construct gameplay instead? Given that notgames eschew challenge, this zero point can also incorporate the flip side of the same industry, AAA player convenience (quest markers, linearity, conveniently placed collectibles). In fact, I believe the term “notgame” can easily be extended to include the AAA side, too, as well as something like Telltale’s “experiences”. However, now that the industry has gone from games to notgames, what if we go in the opposite direction? After all, even if some or even most players are content with being stripped of their free will, what if there is one player who is not?

In asking these questions, and following them through in its gameplay, The Magic Circle breaks with the notgame design – and calls for a return to Looking Glass sensibilities. At first glance, the two have a common goal: doing away with things getting in the way of the player’s immersion. However, they approach it in conflicting ways. Gone Home’s developers may have been influenced by LGS, but The Magic Circle is at its polemical best in showing that notgames and Looking Glass-style games proceed in opposite directions. “Environmental storytelling” is by itself not enough. Notgames choose to outright ignore gameplay instead of reassessing the ways player freedom can be brought about or enabling interactive tool-focused design. By emphasizing obstacle-based exploration and emergent gameplay, The Magic Circle sides with games against notgames, even as it starts from the latter as its point of reference.

The Magic Circle is, in other words, a de-construction of a notgame and a re-construction of a game. At the same time, it is also aware of game development’s limits. A game with infinite player freedom may be impossible due to technical, financial, and time constraints, while a non-game stripped of the more complex forms of active agency is unsatisfactory – not to the developer maybe, but certainly to you, the odd player. Not coincidentally, it is precisely from a notgame that Old Pro sets you free – and it is another notgame that you disrupt under the guise of the E4 demo.​

Read the full review: AdventureDex Review: The Magic Circle, an RPG without the "RPG" - or, On Games and "Notgames"

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Not withstanding the quality of this piece (which is quite high) Crooked Bee , I give you a hearty :salute: in terms of depth and length... I had to read it several times to grasp exactly what this game is... was... isn't... wanted to be... didn't want to be... maybe I need to read it again...:negative:

Gozma

Arcane
The game seemed painfully longwinded and obvious from watching the first 20 minutes or so, does that die down? I felt like the moderately high-end VAs were trying to will the low-end writing into not being unfunny and boring and failing.

Example:

“I guess you were supposed to live out a fairytale – born to end some war when your sword got big enough. But the gods woulda had to agree on all your powers, so – you get none. But look around – every creature here was abandoned by the gods. Let them be your fists… your fangs.”
– Old Pro to the player

Imagine that you a VA trying to squeeze out mini-soliloquies like this every 20 seconds

Like, I thought they could have established everything you need to know about the intro of the game in one 30 second long scene instead of pounding you with more VA every time you take ten steps.

Last edited:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I read the review and I still have no idea if I want to play this game or not. Maybe when its on sale.

It is well written though.

Delterius

Arcane
Not withstanding the quality of this piece (which is quite high) Crooked Bee , I give you a hearty :salute: in terms of depth and length... I had to read it several times to grasp exactly what this game is... was... isn't... wanted to be... didn't want to be... maybe I need to read it again...:negative:
There's a demo avaiable for supplementary reading.

... just in case.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
OGMDxed.png

DramaticPopcorn

Honestly, I don't have an issue with the fact that it isn't an RPG that is being reviewed but:
1) CB writes it herself
2) Publishes it
3) Pins it on the main page
4) Plugs it in news section
5) Pin it in news section

IT'S POE REVIEW DEBACLE ALL OVER AGAIN :mob:
Sensuki Darth Roxor Lambchop19

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Uh, you know that she's our Editor-in-Chief, right?

And she did with this review the same thing we do with all of our reviews / articles - they are all published pinned on the main page and pinned on the news page -, so what's the big deal? Do you miss brofisting Inifinitron this much?

Kron

Arcane
Seriously, fuck walking simulators and their devs. Bunch of SJW casual faggots.

The only reason for their "games" to exist is pushing their atrocious, cringeworthy, pretentious writing.

Phew, needed to get that out.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

DramaticPopcorn

And she did with this review the same thing we do with all of our reviews / articles - they are all published pinned on the main page and pinned on the news page -, so what's the big deal? Do you miss brofisting Inifinitron this much?

Just Dramatic Popcorn being Dramatic: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/the-banner-saga-2.95730/page-3#post-4011988
how is this relevant to the issue at hand here?

Yeah... I.. withdraw my accusation. I overreacted :oops:

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Boy, the writing in those screenshots is painful, like "crowdsourced from Reddit" painful. Still, the concept is interesting enough that I hope they'll be able to afford a writer for their next project.

ROARRR

Savant
Possibly Retarded
Notgames are literally de-constructive, as they disassemble gameplay down to its basic components like walking around and triggering narrative or evocative events.
Ok
After all, even if some or even most players are content with being stripped of their free will, what if there is one player who is not?
QEmJijv.jpg

I don´t get this one...

The Magic Circle is, in other words, a de-construction of a notgame and a re-construction of a game
So you mean the game releases the player over time in slow bits from the gameplay limits and making the game from a "nongame" to a "game"?!
I think you love math...

This review
2l3EijZ.png

www.troll.me

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Boy, the writing in those screenshots is painful, like "crowdsourced from Reddit" painful.

Also this. Every screen featuring that old pro guy made me cringe.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The game seemed painfully longwinded and obvious from watching the first 20 minutes or so, does that die down?

It dies down when you're out of the tutorial, but then picks up again when you're done with the Overworld. On average, though, yeah, it is pretty long-winded.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I'm having trouble squaring the cleverness of the plot as described by Crooked Bee with the writing shown in the screenshots and the goofy names. I wonder if this one of the cases (which I enjoyed from a Primordia fan) of a commentator praising as lustrous a gloss she herself has added. :)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I don't think one should judge the writing of a game based on a limited number of screenshots that were picked to illustrate certain points. But even so, in a game meant to serve as a polemic, theatrical rather than naturalistic dialogue doesn't seem so out of place.

Crooked Bee

Patron
I'm having trouble squaring the cleverness of the plot as described by Crooked Bee with the writing shown in the screenshots and the goofy names. I wonder if this one of the cases (which I enjoyed from a Primordia fan) of a commentator praising as lustrous a gloss she herself has added. :)

I do believe that the cleverness of the plot and premise, on the one hand, and the goofiness of the writing, on the other, are two completely separate things. Regarding the former (if I got your comparison right) -- no, I haven't added anything. Everything that I say about the game in the review, is very closely based on what is said or shown in the game.

The dialogue is certainly unnatural, longwinded, and goofy. At the same time, as a commentary, I believe it is clever, for the reasons I tried to indicate.

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
The magic circle is complete shit with the only thing good about it being Stephen Russel. The writing just wanders about and never goes anywhere, the meta commentary is bland, and the gameplay itself is boring. The idea is fine but they completely missed the mark.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom