Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Matt Chat 301: Chris Avellone on Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear; Chris Avellone; Matt Barton

In his infinite graciousness, Chris Avellone agreed to reshoot the first half of his Matt Chat interview that was lost due to a technical mishap. As expected, this part of the interview is entirely about the upcoming Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear, and as such, it repeats much of the same praise that was lavished upon the expansion in the recent Shane Plays interview. In addition to all that, Chris has good things to say about Siege of Dragonspear's hardcore optional encounters, about one of its new companions, the female goblin shaman M’Khiin Grubdoubler, and about its technical and user interface improvements.

Chris also reveals the name of the Shining Lady, Siege of Dragonspear's antagonist, which I'm not sure he was supposed to do. :M It's "Kaylar" or something like that.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Chris also reveals the name of the Shining Lady, Siege of Dragonspear's antagonist, which I'm not sure he was supposed to do. :M It's "Kaylar" or something like that.
Wasn't it spoiled in the gameplay demo during the livestream? For some reason they decided not to put that part on youtube and it's now lost on twitch as it's not their latest broadcast.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wasn't it spoiled in the gameplay demo during the livestream? For some reason they decided not to put that part on youtube and it's now lost on twitch as it's not their latest broadcast.

Maybe, I didn't watch that. All I know is in all the articles about the game they refer to her as a "mysterious warrior known as the Shining Lady" so I figured her name was a big secret

Ulrox

Arbiter
Sorry Obsidian, but Chris going freelance might have been the best thing to happen to rpg's in a long time it seems like.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Sorry Obsidian, but Chris going freelance might have been the best thing to happen to rpg's in a long time it seems like.
He certainly got Codex now cautiously hyped for SoD opposed to previous open loathing.

Darkzone

Arcane
Question: Why is Fargo mentioned as an Executive Producer of Matt Chatt? This goes back to Matt Chat 227. So i ask if someone knows more about it?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Question: Why is Fargo mentioned as an Executive Producer of Matt Chatt? This goes back to Matt Chat 227. So i ask if someone knows more about it?

He's paying for it: https://www.patreon.com/blacklily8

$25+ In addition to the above rewards, your name will be featured in the show's credits as an executive producer or sponsor. I'll also toast you during an ale segment.

No question regarding replaying Arcanum = shit interview. :)

That was in the second half: http://www.rpgcodex.net/article.php?id=9993

Last edited:

Darkzone

Arcane
He's paying for it: https://www.patreon.com/blacklily8
$25+ In addition to the above rewards, your name will be featured in the show's credits as an executive producer or sponsor. I'll also toast you during an ale segment.

I'm often very lazy in research sometimes, so thank you Infi. Hmm.. Fargo has given already at least 1.8k + the reliquary box to Matt. Interesting. One way to preserve the game history especially in cRPG.

sstacks

Arcane
I'm often very lazy in research sometimes, so thank you Infi. Hmm.. Fargo has given already at least 1.8k + the reliquary box to Matt. Interesting. One way to preserve the game history especially in cRPG.

Brian Fargo has specifically stated he supports Matt Chat because he thinks Matt is doing an important job documenting game history and interviews with devs, etc.

Anyone who supports Matt Chat via Patreon is listed in the closing credits (included meself).

sstacks

Arcane
In addition to all that, Chris has good things to say about Siege of Dragonspear's hardcore optional encounters, about one of its new companions, the female goblin shaman M’Khiin Grubdoubler, and about its technical and user interface improvements.

I was also intrigued by his discussion of "large scale warfare" that has never been seen in a Baldur's Gate / Infinity Engine game before.

Shane

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
In addition to all that, Chris has good things to say about Siege of Dragonspear's hardcore optional encounters, about one of its new companions, the female goblin shaman M’Khiin Grubdoubler, and about its technical and user interface improvements.

I was also intrigued by his discussion of "large scale warfare" that has never been seen in a Baldur's Gate / Infinity Engine game before.

Shane

Yeah, that's been mentioned in previews of BG:SoD, eg: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/07/17/baldurs-gate-3/

During a reveal delivered live on Twitch, lead designer Phil Daigle also promised “Battles larger than anything you’ve seen in the Infinity Engine before,” fought out across some of these.

ArchAngel

Arcane
It would be cool to have one map the size of standard overland maps in BG1 be full of troops on both sides that then charge and fight each other with real random rolls and with spellcasters on both sides casting HAste, Fireballs and such.
But it will probably be very scripted.

lurker3000

Arcane
He certainly got Codex now cautiously hyped for SoD opposed to previous open loathing.

Right? Its shocking that I'm actually considering making this a day one purchase now and not a drunken steam sale purchase that I will never play like when I bought BG:EE.

Kiste

Augur
MCA looks emaciated and drugged out. :| He has weird facial ticks and looks like covered in cold sweat.

Ulrox

Arbiter
MCA looks emaciated and drugged out. :| He has weird facial ticks and looks like covered in cold sweat.
well he did say that some would consider his brain to be broken now. Maybe he's contracted some weird neurological disease that we don't know about.

Kiste

Augur
well he did say that some would consider his brain to be broken now. Maybe he's contracted some weird neurological disease that we don't know about.
Every single second of this interview I was expecting MCA to switch to demon voice and tell Matt that his mother sucks cocks in hell :(

Ulrox

Arbiter
Every single second of this interview I was expecting MCA to switch to demon voice and tell Matt that his mother sucks cocks in hell :(

It gives us a clue as to why he left Obsidian... He may be suffering from acute stress disorder and needs to take it easy.

Deleted member 7219

Good on Matt Barton for redoing the interview. He could so easily have said "Fuck it" and gone back to doing more interviews with people nobody has ever heard of.

Chris Avellone did look a bit unwell, but he talked well. I'm still not sure about Siege of Dragonspear (I am not a fan of Baldur's Gate), but if it has the MCA seal of approval...

Completely disagree about Avellone leaving Obsidian as being a good thing, though. The man needs to be a Project Lead. Reading through other people's dialogue and providing critique is what he did on Pillars of Eternity.

Darkzone

Arcane
Brian Fargo has specifically stated he supports Matt Chat because he thinks Matt is doing an important job documenting game history and interviews with devs, etc.
Anyone who supports Matt Chat via Patreon is listed in the closing credits (included meself).

Have forgotten about that, or i was making me a coffee in this moment as Fargo stated this. So it is nice to hear that my own statement represents that of Fargo. Thank you, and keep on supporting Matt Chat.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
So he was talking bout how happy he was "being back to BG" and reliving his "teens/early" twenties...

Shouldn't PoE invoke something like that?
Probably sucked for him, not being allowed to work on it. No fun allowed.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Listening to Chris Avelonne is like listening to a 8 years old kid talking about his toys and the stories he made up in his mind. This is actually what made this interview so enjoyable. We need more people who give a shit about what they're doing in their pointless lives.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom