Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Vignettes & backgrounds in Dragon Age

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: BioWare; Dragon Age

<b>David Gaider</b> has made a number of posts about <a href=http://forums.bioware.com/viewtopic.html?topic=455609&forum=84>characters' backgrounds</a> in <a href=http://www.bioware.com/games/dragon_age/>Dragon Age</a>:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>The backgrounds are pretty detailed and story-oriented... they involve beginning the game in a unique area and have an entire section of gameplay devoted just to that background. They also affect many things in the rest of the game.
<br>
<br>
So being able to pick-and-choose various elements inside of that background would be difficult without changing the story completely (and thus requiring a new background entirely), unless the changes were fairly minor.
<br>
<br>
As it is, there's much more involved than the stat-affecting backgrounds in Arcanum. And I should add that the backgrounds are only class-specific when that class has special requirements -- otherwise the backgrounds are race-specific and involve having cultural options that would be available to someone of that race.
<br>
<br>
They do define your past, to an extent-- some of the backgrounds set you up with family and perhaps even a home, give you roots in the world itself. But beyond that, yes, they're more about defining your entrance into the story and giving you an introduction to the world elements that your character should know about-- your culture, religion and so forth.
<br>
<br>
That's where I'm coming from. There's not many RPG's (not even our own) where you can have roots and a family and a background in the setting without being forced into a single pre-defined role. We give you options, and inside of the origin stories still provide you room to maneuver (we might provide you a home, for instance, but it's up to you to determine whether you like it or you just can't wait to get away from that one-horse town and adventure -- and the people around you will treat you as if you've always been that way), and we've never tried that before.
<br>
<br>
Arcanum you selected backgrounds that affected your stats. When you started the game, it was still at the same point as everyone else-- your backgrounds may have affected some dialogues after that point, but that's it.
<br>
<br>
ToEE, meanwhile, gave you a cutscene and a short snippet of play prior to arriving at Hommlet.
<br>
<br>
For DA, imagine taking that snippet in ToEE and expanding it to an entire section of the game with its own areas and plot and gameplay, introducing you to the world and your place in it prior to transitioning into the main story. That's more what we're talking about here.</blockquote>
<br>
Sounds pretty cool.
<br>
<br>

Chefe

Erudite
Well, shit, that sounds awesome!

And he mentioned Arcanum! Always good to see that great game mentioned.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Example of Dave's creative writing:

Priest: "So, do you have any dating tips for me, o Lord Bhaal?"
Bhaal: Go forth and find ye a woman...
Priest: "Yes?"
Bhaal: And then kill her.
Priest: "That seems hardly conducive to dating, o great one."
Bhaal: What did you expect? I'm the Lord of Murder.
Priest: "But I don't want to be a literal lady-killer..."
Bhaal: Don't knock it. The girls love a bad boy, you know what I'm sayin'?
Priest: "Mmm. This is the part when I go speak to my brothers at the temple of Sune, I think."
Bhaal: And then kill them?
Priest: "Err... no."
Bhaal: I am so disappointed in you.

Chefe

Erudite
Well, if the game is doing that for humor... it's damn funny. :lol:

Whipporowill

Erudite
Dragon Age news... you guys serious? When was the last time we heard ANYTHING about the damned game - supposedly slated for release in what... a few months?

If they managed deeper vignettes that add some meaning and replayability, I'm all for it.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Im interested, but I wonder how many we'll get to choose from? Also, will the effects of these backgrounds be permanent in the dialogue, or after your beginning area is over, everything reverts to normal dialogue and the background never really plays a major part agian.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Priest: "So, do you have any dating tips for me, o Lord Bhaal?"
Bhaal: Go forth and find ye a woman...
Priest: "Yes?"
Bhaal: And then kill her.
Priest: "That seems hardly conducive to dating, o great one."
Bhaal: What did you expect? I'm the Lord of Murder.
Priest: "But I don't want to be a literal lady-killer..."
Bhaal: Don't knock it. The girls love a bad boy, you know what I'm sayin'?
Priest: "Mmm. This is the part when I go speak to my brothers at the temple of Sune, I think."
Bhaal: And then kill them?
Priest: "Err... no."
Bhaal: I am so disappointed in you."

LOL :lol:

They did that, however, they'd be sued by WOTC.

"When was the last time we heard ANYTHING about the damned game - supposedly slated for release in what... a few months?"

We've heard lots about DA, and the game isn't schedueld to be out for at least 2 years.

"Also, will the effects of these backgrounds be permanent in the dialogue, or after your beginning area is over, everything reverts to normal dialogue and the background never really plays a major part agian."

Accoridng to this thread it seems it effects dialogue and scenarios throughout the entire game.

"Im interested, but I wonder how many we'll get to choose from?"

One.

Now, hopefully, BIO will deliver on this unlike Troika and TOEE where they promised soemthing similair with their vignettes. Hahahahahahahahahahaha!!!

Whipporowill

Erudite
2 years? And it's been in development since at least... 2003 (likely as it was shown at E3 2004). A pretty long time that...

And the FR godess of beauty being named Sune - I just can't get over it, as it's a semi-common old man's name in swedish.

Surlent

Liturgist
Now that's awful lot of ToEE and Arcanum talk there i say. Nothing wrong in it, add fallout in and he starts sounging like other codexers (from pre-oblivion era ofcourse). Dave's picking some good influence while here. :)

Spazmo

Erudite
I was hoping someone would take the vignette idea and run with it. Here's hoping BioWare makes something of it.

Azarkon

Arcane
Kinda like what WoW / EQ / most MMORPGs with different races do already, but within a single-player storytelling framework.

I like it. Of course, it's limiting (instead of one pre-defined character, you have several that you can slightly modify), but that's a necessary technological limitation. What it reminds me of are those little pre-defined stories from roguelike games that give you a background on how you came to undertake the adventure, except in Bio's cause it'll be interactive, I suppose, and allow for leeways even within the vignettes.

I imagine that the DA narrative structure will be something like this:

A
B Side Quest E1
C - Main Plot - E2
D Side Quest E3
E

Instead of the traditional story structure which begins in one place, expands with side quests, and then branches for endings (or in the case of many ARPGs and JRPGs, no branching at all for ending).

Chefe

Erudite
Azarkon said:
What it reminds me of are those little pre-defined stories from roguelike games that give you a background on how you came to undertake the adventure, except in Bio's cause it'll be interactive, I suppose, and allow for leeways even within the vignettes.

Daggerfall had this. It was pretty cool. You answered a few questions and the game would create a background story for your character. They were pretty interesting most of the time.

Again, here's to hoping Bio can pull of an interactive version of this. I'm getting so fucking sick and tired of the "Oh, you're a commoner/prisoner/stableboy that lead a generic life and now you get to go on TEH ADVENTURE!" and "We like you to imagine your own background because it's teh immersive!" Lazy bullshitters.

Jed

Cipher
Whipporowill said:
And the FR godess of beauty being named Sune - I just can't get over it, as it's a semi-common old man's name in swedish.
Yeah, it means "shin" in Japanese.

Ellester

Liturgist
Yea, the toee opening vignette’s were a joke. They were all of 30 seconds long. It’s a good idea; I like the idea of having a home where I can or can nor stay at, and a background with interactive characters. I’m with others, hopefully Bio makes this work. *thumbsup*

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Ellester said:
I’m with others, hopefully Bio makes this work. *thumbsup*
Ditto.
It's nice to read about some "smartening up"; some resistance to the spiral into mediocrity.

Good stuff.

Haven't heard much about his game yet actually (I live in a cave), what else do we know? Any good links? Volly?

Vault Dweller

Developer
Not much is known other than what Dave posts occasionally which may or may not reflect what the final product will be like.

Here is our collection of useful info on Dragon Age (a lot of things sound pretty good like choices and consequences, etc)

http://www.rpgcodex.com/gamedetails.php?id=261

We do have a fair number of plots which work like that... the consequences of your actions aren't always easily determined, and some only show up later on down the line.
Sounds like poetry to me.

Rina

Scholar
It sounds like very good, but it's still Bioware... so they will probably massively fuck up the game, yet somehow manage to sell millions of copies and have Obsidian to make a even worse sequel... :(

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Damn. This thread WAS pretty postive. Then again, it's the Codex, positivity don't last long except when it comes to sucking on Mr. Cain's overrated dick.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Dgaider

Liturgist
Developer
A guardedly positive Codex thread regarding Bioware?

Apparently I was transported over to Bizzarro world while I was sleeping... :shock:

whitemithrandir

Erudite
Dgaider said:
A guardedly positive Codex thread regarding Bioware?

Apparently I was transported over to Bizzarro world while I was sleeping... :shock:

Alright people break's over, back to work.

KOTOR sucks. Next.

Greatatlantic

Erudite
Yes, now you just need to say the game will have a darker feel then previous Bioware titles, dialogue will be a major focus and include ways to effect your PC, and then go with a classless system with many non-combative ways to develop and you'll get a lot more positive feadback.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom