Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community Call for Males to Participate in Video Games and Dreams Research

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Dream Research

Are you male? Do you dream? WOULD YOU LIKE TO TAKE PART IN SCIENCE? Well then, here's your chance:

Our video game laboratory at MacEwan University in Alberta, Canada has been examining the effects of video game play on night time dreams for a decade. We have found that there are various well-being outcomes evidenced in the dreams of gamers. You can read about this work in our lab’s blog at http://academic.macewan.ca/gackenbachj/

We are posting this to you, males who would select either: First Person Shooter, Role-play, Action or Adventure style games as being your favorite. We would request that you only participate in this research if you play video games at least once a year, and remember your night time dreams at least once per week. The survey would only take about an hour to complete and I am in need of participants just like you! If you are interested, please go to:

https://macewanpsych.us.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_byFGfnBy5EBIbgp
This research opportunity is absolutely free and there is no marketing involved to sell anything. This is simply your motive to help us with our research if you desire to do so.

If you have any questions please feel free to write to Craig Guthrie, Honors Student Researcher, Bachelor of Arts Psychology, Honors, MacEwan University, guthriec@mymacewan.ca or his supervisor Jayne Gackenbach, Ph.D., Department of Psychology, MacEwan University, gackenbachj@macewan.ca​

Do male gamers dream of tasteful rape majestic elves.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I got to the social networking section and stalled. There's no option for "I don't use social networking sites", and that's out of TEN possible options. How could someone not think this through?

EDIT: finished the survey and it has some MAJOR problems. It looks like it was done by a student with no supervision. The answer to many of the questions was "none of the above", and to another many it was "why are there so many options, when a simple Yes/No would suffice". Copy/pasting the same set of answers to questions that require a different set is pure laziness. Then the last 3 pages are devoted to me trying to remember a single nightmare, which I don't, because the only question before that pertaining to memory of dreams is whether I remember a dream AS SOON AS I WAKE UP, which I do, not about whether I remember it 30 minutes later, which I almost never do. The questions in those 3 pages are also linked to the assumption that the nightmare is "standard", and they talk about talking and interacting with the "threat" as if it were a sentient human being, disregarding the fact this isn't how many nightmares work.

Shame too, I was really hoping when they asked about vivid dreams and dreams you can influence that they'd have follow up questions on these.

Also, there are way, WAY too many questions that essentially ask the same thing. Very bad design in a survey as long as this one.

Last edited:
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I once dreamed (as a guy whose gaming experience goes back to being a toddler playing the NES) that all of the games I had ever played were in my Steam library.

It was ... beautiful.

attachment.php

Severian Silk

I am not eligible to take the test apparently because I can't remember my dreams enough of the time.

himmy

Arcane
So this is the kind of stuff that makes it unto the front page these days instead of a 5th PoE review written by Vault Dweller and bishop Desmond Tutu?

Alternative comment: How the fuck is this the only post under the tag Dream Research, but PoE has literally hundreds of posts about it?

Morkar Left

That's discriminating for women and all genders between the spectrum of men and women. Disgusting.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
The other day I was home from work, on painkillers and muscle relaxants for my torn up back. I was playing Dark Souls all day. Then I drank whiskey. Then I ate. And then I went to sleep. And had the most fucked up, exhilarating dreams I've had in 10 years.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Stuffing yourself with alcohol, barbiturates, and meat tends to do that.

Every once in a great while, I like to stay awake for about two days straight, then drink and eat myself into oblivion on the downslope, with a notion that I'm channeling the great warrior empires of yore by pushing myself past the brink of exhaustion while debauching vigorously.

Upon awakening, I realize that, in fact, I hunt my meat at the grocery store with a celluloid spear and fight my battles in computer games. I take my vitamins, return to a healthy diet, and resume going to bed at a sane hour.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
jayne-teace1.jpg

I watched a dudebro snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor. That's my dream; that's my nightmare. Crawling, slithering, along the edge of a straight razor... and surviving.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
DU seems to level up his trolling

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom