Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPG Codex Review: Pillars of Eternity, by PrimeJunta

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Obsidian Entertainment; Pillars of Eternity

Fourth time's the charm, right?

Unlike most games these days, difficulty levels up to Hard don’t change the rules or the enemy stats in any way. Instead, you get tougher variants of enemies in bigger groups — adra beetles in addition to stone and wood beetles, shadows upgraded to shades, shades to phantoms, guls to darguls, darguls to fampyrs, and so on. Only the hardest level, billed as a special challenge for the truly hardcore, adjusts the numbers.

That’s a shame, because on Path of the Damned Pillars plays a lot more like it ought to. Status effects start biting. Enemies have hard enough defences that attacking them with the right combinations is often a requirement. They hit hard enough that repeating good-enough tactics won’t always cut it. You start paying serious attention to consumables and crafting. And even so, some of the optional fights are truly punishing, at least if you go into them early.

Pillars suffers from the design decision to produce difficulty levels by changing the encounter composition rather than adjusting the numbers. Casual players who can’t be bothered to learn the mechanics at all will find Easy frustratingly hard, whereas more experienced players will soon snooze through Hard by mechanically applying a good-enough strategy they happened upon. There are more efficient and more fun ways to play, but the game leaves it up to you to discover them.

The game would likely have been received a good deal better among the hardcore crowd if Hard had been more or less like Path of the Damned with, perhaps, the mobs a little smaller, and another, even higher difficulty level above it, or a second difficulty slider tuning the numbers so it would have been possible to play against Hard enemies with Path of the Damned rules. As it is, Path of the Damned is the most enjoyable difficulty level in the game, but it doesn’t live up to its billing as a Heart of Fury spiritual successor.

[...] Baldur's Gate would likely have been forgotten had it not been for Baldur's Gate 2 and Planescape: Torment. If Obsidian can build on Pillars' success, improve on the areas that need improvement while maintaining its strengths, Path of the Damned can point the way to Path of the Incline. Pillars is a first, somewhat faltering step to reviving a near-stagnant genre. A few years ago, the very idea of a Baldur’s Gate 2-scope, top-down, isometric, party-based cRPG from a major studio seemed like a pipe dream. Whether this new flowering can survive between the siren song of a mass market and the grumbling of the grognards — let alone come close to making both groups happy — hangs on the followup. For some of us, Pillars delivered. Others are still waiting. The space it and the other big-ticket Kickstarters has helped clear benefits us all.​

Read the full article: RPG Codex Review: Pillars of Eternity, by PrimeJunta

Yeah! Make one more! Make one more! We need more PoE reviews! We will make 4 more after the first part of the expansion! And 4 more after the second! And another 4 for both main game and expansions! And then during the waiting for many inevitable reviews for PoE 2, we can write articles about PoE from the perspective of a year, 2 years and then 3 years! So much fun!

Last edited:

Telengard

Arcane
Fourth a charm? No. Since a game must be played seven times, it must also have seven reviews. Only then can the cycle be complete and the Codex at last be returned to its hate-filled torpor.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
:deadhorse:
Enough already. This game wasn't interesting or deep enough to warrant this much critical attention (negative or positive).
Guess I should finally go and write that QFI review.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Magnificent review, well structured and highly efficient is making its points without the usual nerdy angst that passed for hip and cool round these parts. It was better than 90% of the so called profesional reviews Ive read too; I read the whole thing while waiting in the bank and almost missed my turn. Yeah Pillars is a flawed game but an enjoyable one and I will definetly have another round once the 2.0 patch come out

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
blech, praising the rest system. I can't stand it. if I run out of supplies...I'm not gonna have my party die and quit the game? I'm just gonna go back to town and get more? and sleeping at the stronghold is pointless, because it's so far away from everywhere your entire party's exhausted by the time you get anywhere you were going and you need to rest again. all the camping supplies mechanic does is makes encounters take longer because my mage can't just fireball every single one into charred nothing.

has anyone modded out the need for camping supplies? I looked around but didn't find one that did.

Tigranes

Arcane
blech, praising the rest system. I can't stand it. if I run out of supplies...I'm not gonna have my party die and quit the game? I'm just gonna go back to town and get more? and sleeping at the stronghold is pointless, because it's so far away from everywhere your entire party's exhausted by the time you get anywhere you were going and you need to rest again. all the camping supplies mechanic does is makes encounters take longer because my mage can't just fireball every single one into charred nothing.

has anyone modded out the need for camping supplies? I looked around but didn't find one that did.

Didn't IE mod do it like 3 days after release? Could be wrong.

Your argument supposes that everyone's going to run into zero supplies all the time. If you know you have 3 supplies, you wouldn't rest as often as you would when there is unlimited resting. And unless you're (1) shit, or (2) cheese-spamming rests, there are so many supplies around that you're trekking back town very infrequently. I started having house rules on resting while playing IE games a long time ago, because I realised resting all the time makes the game pointless, so I didn't need to change my behaviour much.

"because my mage can't just fireball every single one into charred nothing"

So you want to fireball everybody every time? Ironically, POE solves your problems with its many per-encounter abilities! (The contradiction between per-encounters, per-rests, and the resting supplies system is the real what-the-fuck problem.)

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
didntread.gif

Telengard

Arcane
4 POE reviews and still no Serpent in the Staglands review, thanks Infinitron .
Hands of Fate also deserves a review... and Card Hunter... and Toukiden: Kiwami... and Way of the Samurai 4... and Hyperdimensional Neptunia... and Chroma Squad... and Invisible Inc... and...
Hey now. The Codex has an Invisible Inc review. Just because The Management chose not to use it doesn't mean it doesn't exist...

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Glanced over the magic section. The author spends 10 paragraphs saying the magic system is shit in so many words. In the 11th paragraph the author suddenly proceeds to congratulate everyone because we have a deep and meaningful magic system on our hands. What the shit? Was it written by 10 different people and then patched up together with no editing or is the author some kind of special retard? If the system is good, then why didn't you give a single argument FOR it? This is argumentation structure 101. I don't have time for this, if I wanted to read some 13 year old dipshit's opinion, I would've turned to Obsidian's forums or something. Didn't expect it of the codex, this is seriously retarded... Stopped reading after that.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Glanced over the magic section. The author spends 10 paragraphs saying the magic system is shit in so many words. In the 11th paragraph the author suddenly proceeds to congratulate everyone because we have a deep and meaningful magic system on our hands. What the shit? Was it written by 10 different people and then patched up together with no editing or is the author some kind of special retard? If the system is good, then why didn't you give a single argument FOR it? This is argumentation structure 101, I don't have time for this. If I wanted to read some 13 year old dipshit's opinion, I would've turned to Obsidian's forums or something. Didn't expect it of the codex, this is seriously retarded... Stopped reading after that.

Wait you mean that he followed my guide on how to right a fanboy reivew?

The Fanboy Formula
  • Introduction
    • Explain why the game is good and the history of the developers (Hint: This is why the game is good)
  • Case Study of Game
    • Explain each pillar (hehe) of the game
    • Discuss how each pillar of the game failed (because they all do in one way or another)
    • Rationalize why - at the end of the day, the small issues in each part of the game are actually okay
    • a good phrase here is "The Game is Greater then the Sum of it's parts"
      • No Really.. Nobody has ever used this line to defend PoE
        • No Seriously
  • Conclusion
    • Attempt to appear unbiased by reiterating some things that were shitty about the game
    • BUT wait.. as we said it's not that bad.
    • GOTY

PrimeFedora said:
Path of the Damned can point the way to Path of the Incline

2427935-oh-you-make-me-cry-laughing-meme-rage-face-.png

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom