Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Piranha Bytes' New Game: ELEX

Angthoron

Arcane
Tags: ELEX; Nordic Games; Piranha Bytes

It seems that Piranha Bytes' and Nordic Games' productive relationship continues, as Nordic Games announce a new "collaborative" project: a "hand-crafted RPG experience", ELEX.

Let's hope that the previous labor of these great partners were performed with different body parts, then.

The creators of Gothic turn over a new leaf together with Nordic Games and tackle their first new, collaborative project: ELEX

Nordic Games teams up with veteran studio Piranha Bytes to work on their first collaborative and new project: ELEX. This eclectic, lavish, exhilarating, xenial open-world RPG is scheduled to release in Winter 2016/2017 on PC and current gen console platforms. This is by far the most ambitious project for Piranha Bytes and Nordic Games to date.

“To say we are excited to see this new project unfold in the hands of Piranha Bytes is an understatement. ELEX is going to be edgy, dark, uncompromising, complex, and we love it already,“ comments Reinhard Pollice Business & Product Development Director at Nordic Games. “We will be premiering a vertical slice build at Gamescom 2015, more info will be released in due time.”

“Apart from being enthusiastic about the cooperation with Nordic Games, it is great to know, that we will have ample creative freedom with ELEX, which is a very important factor for us” said Björn Pankratz, Game Director at Piranha Bytes. "We can't wait to show you a completely new game experience with a fresh setting, new assets and plenty of possibilities."

About ELEX

ELEX is a handcrafted action role-playing experience from the award-winning creators of the Gothic series, set in a brand new post-apocalyptic science fantasy universe that puts players into a huge, seamless game world full of original characters, mutated creatures, deep moral choices and powerful action.

Forum: http://community.ELEXgame.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ELEXgame

Source: http://www.nordicgames.at/index.php/article/nordic_games_piranha_bytes_elex

Oh, and ELEX apparently stands for Eclectic, Lavish, Exhilarating, Xenial, probably beating "Thedas" in originality right off the bat.

Angthoron

Arcane
Better yet - ELEX stands for Eclectic, Lavish, Exhilarating, Xenial. Not to confuse with plural of Elekk.

It's almost as good as THEDAS.

And they say Germans lack in creativity.

Tentatively hyped despise the horrible pitch.
They have been on a declining parable for a while at this point, but I'm still too fond of their good games (or even of the good parts of their bad games) to give up any hope to see them rising back to form.

Zeriel

Arcane
My word, chaps, say what you will of Piranha Bytes, but they always deliver the comedy.

Quite sad to see how in other forums there are people immediately going "Yuck" as they are noticing Piranha Bytes as the developer.
The worst thing is, you can't even exactly blame these people for it at this point.

They used to be a talented bunch but they butchered their own reputation with some of the most baffling design choices after Risen 1.

Zeriel

Arcane
Tg8pVeV.jpg

Zeriel

Arcane
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/xenial

I wish it wasn't, it was more funny imagining them just making it up and using it without any explanation.

(God knows what is supposed to be "hospitable" about a post-apocalyptic hellscape. Maybe they did make it up, without realizing it was actually a word.)

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Zeriel

Arcane
Maybe they did make it up, without realizing it was actually a word.

There was a poetry collection by Goethe and Schiller called Xenien, so the word must be familiar to the (educated) Germans.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenien

Die Xenien, in which the two friends avenged themselves on opposing critics

That doesn't exactly sound hospitable to me. :P

It does sound like something Piranha Bytes would want to do, though.

WhiteGuts

Arcane
By xenial, they probably wanted to say otherworldly. But it's cooler this way I guess.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Everybody is missing the point: PB is no longer shackled by the deal with Deep Silver. PB is now able to work with the publisher of the one and only true Gothic game ... I mean the publisher of Arcania also known as Nordic Games.

images

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
ELEX is a handcrafted action role-playing experience from the award-winning creators of the Gothic series, set in a brand new post-apocalyptic science fantasy universe that puts players into a huge, seamless game world full of original characters, mutated creatures, deep moral choices and powerful action.

Edit:
Piranha Bytes' next game will be ELEX, scheduled to be released in winter 2016/2017 on PC and console platforms.

11717425_1413326602331479_2222163891456669375_o.jpg

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I wish PB would just get back to making smaller focused open world titles.

Unfortunately, console kids seem to enjoy having hundreds of square miles of entirely empty wasteland.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom