Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Bard's Tale IV Kickstarter Update #11: Classes and Races

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Bard's Tale IV; Brother None; Eric Schwarz; InXile Entertainment

In the final Bard's Tale IV Kickstarter update for this week, inXile finally offer some detail on their vision for the game's character system - specifically, the classes and races. Here are the relevant parts:

Character Classes

If you are unfamiliar with the original The Bard’s Tale trilogy, it used a class-based character system, meaning the “Class” or profession of your characters was one of the first things you could choose. There were ten different classes in the first The Bard’s Tale, eight of which could be picked from the start: Warrior, Paladin, Rogue, Bard, Hunter, Monk, Conjurer and Magician.

With Chris “The Director” Keenan taking point on all things design, we absolutely want to bring back each of these classes. Many of the character class concepts from the original trilogy serve as a great base to make them interesting and unique. Each character class will have a very distinct role that they play, with the ability for you to make decisions along the way on how you want to tweak and modify their core class abilities. We want to give you more freedom in how you put together a party, so you’re not dictated a specific balance in melee or ranged, in weapons or magic, and you’re not required to take certain classes. Of course, this doesn’t mean that every party make-up is as viable as the next. A healthy mix is encouraged.

Each class has a unique function within the party, though that comes with some flexibility depending on the class. Some, like Warrior, Monk or Paladin, are best taking the direct approach, jumping straight into the fray, but their particular role in that position is unique for each. Warriors can use just about any weapons or armor and do very well taking and dealing as much damage as possible. Monks will embrace a bit of a unique combat concept, where they will continue to get stronger as fights or even dungeon exploration progresses, making them more powerful the more you push on (incidentally discouraging rest spamming!). Finally Paladins (with requisite +1 Holy Sword) serve as your faithful shield, protecting the party and providing various status modifiers to your party or enemies. It will be fun to explore more of these concepts with you moving forward.

In addition to the starting eight classes, we will be expanding the class roster. For example: currently we’re adding a Cleric, who will be a master of the healing arts, able to use restorative blessings. While not usually one of the main damage dealers, they can be surprisingly effective when fighting the undead and dark magics.

One of the more interesting notions in the original trilogy was the idea of magic users starting out as Conjurers or Magicians but evolving into different types later on, like the Archmage. Never fear, this is another concept we fully intend to maintain and expand to cover more classes, but that’s a giant system that we will save for a later update.

Character Races

The original Bard’s Tale games also let you pick a race for your characters, a system we plan to return and expand upon. Your race choice will be represented in gameplay modifiers, though we intend to do so in a way that avoids forcing you towards a set of particular race/class combos.

One of those expansions will be that the races you pick will have an influence in certain spots in the game, with NPCs reacting to the presence of a Trow in your group in certain, perhaps not always favorable ways. Some options may open or close to you depending on who you have in your party. As you know, we're huge fans of reactivity in our games, and that's one way we can use the character system to add more depth.

Speaking of the Trow, we’re looking to make some new additions to the roster of races based on the specific lore of The Bard’s Tale IV. The Trow is one such example of a mythological creature from Orkney Island folkloric tradition that we’re making available as a playable race.

As you may be able to tell from all the above, we’re not looking to make The Bard’s Tale IV a simpler game than its predecessors. We’ll have clever ways to introduce you to the game’s systems and ease into it for newer players, but if you are the type who loves building a full roster of heroes, carefully going over the options and considering your possibilities and spending hours to craft your perfect party, then The Bard’s Tale IV is very much the game for you!
Yeah, nothing particularly groundbreaking here, but as the update explains, they just don't have the hard details of this stuff pinned down yet. I'm actually more interested in that bit of lore underneath the concept art. Sounds like it could make an awesome level.

UPDATE: The campaign has raised $1.35M dollars, unlocking the crafting stretch goal. In a short new Kickstarter update, inXile celebrate the occasion, and also take the opportunity to tease further news using a suspiciously familiar silhouette...

APGunner

Augur
Hmm, classes seem to be very "standard", except for the conjurer. What exactly is the role of the conjurer class? Is he literally conjuring temporary equipment/supplies for the rest of the party (like you could in Morrowind)? Or is he more like an enchanter, who buffs existing weapons/armor? Can someone who played the originals briefly explain this class?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Chris Keenan speaks:

inXile entertainment less than a minute ago
I've seen a few comments here regarding the Cleric and wanted to clarify a bit. The Cleric won't be the only class that has access to healing. Other classes will be able to provide healing to the party, but not as a central foundation to their class. One of my design goals is to not have a single class that you'll NEED to pick in order to have a solid party make-up.

As well, part of the evolution system we're working on makes it so that within each class, you'll be able to customize and spec different focuses for their core abilities. This could include moving the cleric away from healing focus and into something more damage or buffing focused.

Chris

:sawyerfist:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Just gave them 105$ for this. They earned it after the awesome Wasteland 2. :)

Plus..... DWARVES.

Sigh. Clerics. I'm tired of this class; they're too passive, almost never interesting, and are effectively mandatory. You can't really use their magic for anything other than healing, so why bother giving them any other options? Now you've got a 4 person party, with 2 slots pretty much filled. I'm not sure I care for the way this is headed.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Why are you such a FUKKIN' idiot? You have never played a fukkin' RPG. FFS.

1. Clerics are not any more passive than any other class unless you play them that way.

2. They aren't mandatory. That's bullshit.

3. They have lots of non healing magic. They have buffs, offensive magic, anti undead spells, etc., etc.

4. The other options are awesome.

In conclusion, you are a moran. You shouldn't play role-playing games because you are ignorant.

Wizfall

Cipher
Volourn is right but it's not an exciting nor original class (not that the other class are any more original though).
We are far, far from the exciting Wizardry 8 class which had Alchemist, Psionic, Samurai, Ninja and above all the very original gadgeter.
Even PoE manage to create a somewhat original class with the Cypher.
I guess the "advanced class system" InXile is hinting may solve this issue though.

Only interesting update so far because one of the main component that make blobbers interesting, at least for me, is character development and party composition.
I did not followed the update closely though so i may have missed some interesting bit about that but it seems a damn long way to go to beat W8 character system unfortunately.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
$1.35M stretch goal achieved: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/the-bards-tale-iv/posts/1276496

838bd34e5960b2c4a594d1661cb13cea_original.png
Chriskryptapl.jpg

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Relax, that doesn't mean inXile is hiring him full-time. Could just be doing a dungeon like the rest of the guys.

Prepare for Fantasy Ag Center. :troll:

Darkzone

Arcane
Relax, that doesn't mean inXile is hiring him full-time. Could just be doing a dungeon like the rest of the guys.

Prepare for Fantasy Ag Center. :troll:
Yes you are right, if he is hired full time, then he could be hardly sold to us as an stretch goal in future Van Buren KS. :)

Love

Cipher
Why is Fargo jerking us around with those updates so much? Avellone might be the hottest signing of this summer. Why can't he close the deal already? Is there a fucking transfer period we have to wait for?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Why is Fargo jerking us around with those updates so much? Avellone might be the hottest signing of this summer. Why can't he close the deal already? Is there a fucking transfer period we have to wait for?

One media bump from the people who figure out it's Avellone immediately and post about it. Another media bump when he officially announces it. It's Marketing 101

Love

Cipher
One media bump from the people who figure out it's Avellone immediately and post about it. Another media bump when he officially announces it. It's Marketing 101

It's 14 days left. Cut it out and bring the big guns.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

14 days is plenty. The big guns need to be out no later than three days before the end of the campaign when the final days' rush starts. I wonder what they have planned...

Love

Cipher
14 days is plenty. The big guns need to be out no later than three days before the end of the campaign when the final days' rush starts. I wonder what they have planned...

Nothing. But the fact you're already thinking about it means they have won.

Bonerbill

Augur
Sigh. Clerics. I'm tired of this class; they're too passive, almost never interesting, and are effectively mandatory. You can't really use their magic for anything other than healing, so why bother giving them any other options? Now you've got a 4 person party, with 2 slots pretty much filled. I'm not sure I care for the way this is headed.

Perhaps you're talking about the standard "priest" class. When I think of a "cleric," I think a hybrid support melee character that uses a mace and shield. The D&D style cleric was always a hybrid melee/magic user since its creation.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected

8-man party

Apexeon

Arcane
6 to 8 party members means plenty of room for the Clerics and the MCA written character.

Plus a Donkey to carry all the grog.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom