Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Update #64: GOTY Edition renamed to Director's Cut + E3 2015 Trailer, Perks

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Chris Keenan; InXile Entertainment; Wasteland 2

Yesterday, inXile teased that they would be publishing Kickstarter updates for all three of their Kickstarter titles today. That promise has been fulfilled, with the first of the updates being for Wasteland 2. There's a new trailer for the game's upcoming enhanced rerelease, which taking a page out of Harebrained Schemes' book, has been renamed to Wasteland 2: Director's Cut.

And there's some details on the Perks system, complementing the description of the Quirks from last month's update.

Perks, unlike Quirks, are gained as you level up your characters. As you progress in the game you will earn Perk Points, which you can spend on Perks whenever you wish. Perks are per-character bonus you pick, and unlike Quirks, they are always positive stat and gameplay adjustments. Right now, we have it set up so that you gain a new Perk Point every 3 levels, though we're currently playing through the game balancing things out, so the rate you earn Perk Points may change by final release. Perks also have Skill requirements to unlock – for instance, you might need 3 in Toaster Repair, or 7 in Assault Rifles, with more useful or powerful Perks typically at higher Skill requirements.

This also gives us a great opportunity for us to give players more incentive to pick certain Skills, since now you might need to think about which Skills to get based on the Perks they unlock. Some Perks are a bit more universal in how they work. For instance, you might get a bigger Evasion bonus from hiding behind cover, but with others, you will get gameplay-altering features that will change how you approach combat or exploration, such as unlocking the ability to deal more damage when attacking from behind.

Here's a few more examples:

Deadeye: Slow and steady wins the race. In combat, your enemies keep an eye on you at all times - because if they don't, they're liable to lose theirs.

Benefits: -1 Action Point cost when firing Sniper Rifles if you haven't moved during your combat turn

Glancing Strike : Your prowess in close combat allows you to catch your enemies with a well-timed melee strike as they weave in and out of the fray.

Benefits: Gain melee Ambush attacks against enemies when they move past you in combat, dealing 50% normal damage

Powder Packer: You always seem to find ammo stuffed in the strangest places. Your friends won't ask.

Benefits: +10% chance of finding bonus Ammo when looting

And that's just a small sampling. We have over 80 Perks in the game for your party to earn, giving you new tactical options and choices in how you build your party. We are very happy in how the system has turned out and we can't wait to let you enjoy it!
Other than that, there's some photos from E3, and the news that inXile too have decided to branch out into the card game spinoff business, with a Wasteland-themed deck of cards to be Kickstarted on July 1st. Now, on to Torment...

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Why do people keep saying that PoE has better production values than Wasteland 2? From the videos I've seen, I just don't see it.

hello friend

Arcane
Starting to become so only fools buy games the year of release, with all these enhanced editions popping up. Used to be waiting about half a year before purchase would do the job, giving sufficient time for post-release patching to finish the game. Now it seems you end up buying the inferior product unless you wait a year and a half. No way I'm buying the same game twice. This rankles.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Starting to become so only fools buy games the year of release, with all these enhanced editions popping up. Used to be waiting about half a year before purchase would do the job, giving sufficient time for post-release patching to finish the game. Now it seems you end up buying the inferior product unless you wait a year and a half. No way I'm buying the same game twice. This rankles.
While is probably true, I'm not sure how it applies to Banner Saga.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Yeah. I got burned out from being indecisive about choices and starting over at the beginning multiple times just like DOS but at least I'll get to have the best experience™ in those games

The GOTY update is gratis by the way

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It's definitely annoying that two games I've logged 70 hours on each and nearly have beat are releasing vastly improved editions of the experience, but the bottom line is that in the old days you got Temple of Elemental Evil in its unpatched state and company folded, that was it.

The era of enhanced editions and director's cuts represents a sometimes annoying improvement.

For the most part. It's circumstantially okay for the first game in the franchise or a reimagining to have DC to bring it up to par with its improved sequels, but after that it shouldn't be necessary.

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Watched the trailer and I have no urge to replay the game. I had the opposite reaction of seeing Original Sin.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hmm that revamped Inventory GUI is just for consoles, right?

Console UI is also supposed to be available for PC + controller, if that counts.

They're probably revamping some of the UIs for all versions, though.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Powder Packer sounds like an utterly worthless perk, I see that they're sticking to their grog roots and going for quantity over quality here.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Powder Packer sounds like an utterly worthless perk, I see that they're sticking to their grog roots and going for quantity over quality here.

I've been told that the GOTY/Director's Cut update would be applying drastic changes to loot and specifically ammo distribution, so we'll see, maybe it makes sense in context.

Gord

Arcane

As long as the enhanced editions are free for owners of the games, I'm not complaining.
Play once or twice after release, and then again when the EE/DC/GOTYE is out.
Not quite the same as playing something for the first time, but good enough.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I've been told that the GOTY/Director's Cut update would be applying drastic changes to loot and specifically ammo distribution, so we'll see, maybe it makes sense in context.
+10% chance is still utter garbage especially compared to perks that make you better at killing things. I'd still be skeptical if it was 100% but at least then it wouldn't be a perk that's useless to you 9 out of 10 times (unless you engage in degenerate gameplay to make that 10% closer to 100%).

Even Original Sin's Lucky Charm was less groggy than this because every point increased your hit chances.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
+10% chance is still utter garbage especially compared to perks that make you better at killing things. I'd still be skeptical if it was 100% but at least then it wouldn't be a perk that's useless to you 9 out of 10 times (unless you engage in degenerate gameplay to make that 10% closer to 100%).

Note that it's not a 10% chance of finding ammo, it's a 10% chance of BONUS ammo on top of existing loot. Ie, on average, on 1 out of every 10 lootings, you get bonus ammo. How much bonus ammo? Maybe it's a lot.

Also, the '+' suggests it's a stacking modifier on top of an existing bonus, so maybe you can build your character to make that really high

himmy

Arcane

Well, back in the day people used to pay for non-separate expansions (see anything from Tales of the Sword Coast to Night of the Raven and Tribunal/Bloodmoon) not only for the extra content, but for the improvement, rebalances and extra options they brought to the game. The fact that people complain about receiving that for free confuses and frightens me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom