Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Zombie RPG Design Update

hiver

WanderingThrough2 said:
I think the argument against a universal mechanical skill is being made in the most foolish way possible; my only guess is that a lot of posters haven't spent a lot of time around people with mechanical aptitude. At low-level tasks (what we might consider "tier 1" mechanics), there actually is more or less a universal skill: steady hands, patience, the ability to look to see how things fit together and remember that, a basic understanding of electrical and mechanical forces, familiarity with common tools and parts, etc. A good electrician is usually pretty good at fixing a leaky pipe, if push comes to shove; much better than an average person, anyway.
This is true.
First - technical knowledge is hard to separate into distinctive areas in reality.
Todays "machinery" are different systems working together so you really need to have the "know how" from several areas to be able to fix something.
Is this not clear to anyone yet?

Second - It would be pretty stupid if one mechanic knew only one thing and then have to call others to help with other parts - all the time. Being multiskilled is a necessity in this job.

How good you are in it depends solely on knowledge and experience.
Most importantly - working with technicians that know more then you and learning from them while working together, directly - with your hands in it - if youre lucky.

WanderingThrough2 said:
I think the stronger argument against a universal skill is that operating very complicated machinery is *not* a universal skill, and certainly is not an additive skill on top of being good with small repairs. Most airplane pilots are probably no better than most lawyers at changing a lock cylinder, etc.
Operating vehicles is not a mechanical skill. Though some pilots are required to have very good technical knowledge of their planes im not sure how widespread that custom is. Probably not that much in high budget companies.

Here is something that sounds very familiar to me.
To shed some light on ... differences....

--
Here are some maintenance complaints submitted by pilots and the solutions recorded by maintenance engineers. By the way, the airline these came from is the only major airline that has never, ever, had an accident.

Pilot: Left inside main tire almost needs replacement.
Engineers: Almost replaced left inside main tire.

Pilot: Test flight OK, except auto-land very rough.
Engineers: Auto-land not installed on this aircraft.

Pilot: Something loose in cockpit.
Engineers: Something tightened in cockpit.

Pilot: Dead bugs on windshield.
Engineers: Live bugs on back-order.

Pilot: Autopilot in altitude-hold mode produces a 200 feet per minute descent.
Engineers: Cannot reproduce problem on ground.

Pilot: Evidence of leak on right main landing gear.
Engineers: Evidence removed.

Pilot: DME volume unbelievably loud.
Engineers: DME volume set to more believable level.

Pilot: Friction locks cause throttle levers to stick.
Engineers: That's what friction locks are for.

Pilot: IFF inoperative in OFF mode.
Engineers: IFF always inoperative in OFF mode.

Pilot: Suspected crack in windshield.
Engineers: Suspect you're right.

Pilot: Number 3 engine missing.
Engineers: Engine found on right wing after brief search.

Pilot: Aircraft handles funny.
Engineers: Aircraft warned to straighten up, fly right, and be serious.

Pilot: Target radar hums.
Engineers: Reprogrammed target radar with lyrics.

Pilot: Mouse in cockpit.
Engineers: Cat installed.

Pilot: Noise coming from under instrument panel. Sounds like a midget pounding on something with a hammer.
Engineers: Took hammer away from midget

- appart from that - what Vince..err Vault dweller said.
- Oh hi inhuman - feeling better? Sorry if i hurt your feelings there. I forgot how emotional codexers really are.
:twisted:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom