Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Zombasite, New Action RPG from Soldak

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Zombasite sounds like the name of a band created by a metal guitarist who went solo, failed, then had to scramble together a band again because the old band didn't want him back because they knew he was creatively empty.

Alex

Arcane
I never understood what people have against zombies. They can make for interesting enemies. Perforating weapons are almost useless against them. And different from skeletons, they have lots of tissue to absorb bludgeoning damage. Depending on how they work, severed body parts can keep fighting against you. Finally, in a P&P game, you have to take lots of special precautions against them, such as making sure they don't have access to cemeteries, enforcing curfews on villages that may be preyed upon, etc. Played well, zombies are a guerrilla force that just won't die.

That said, this variety does look a lot better if the game isn't wholly, or even mainly, about zombies.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I never understood what people have against zombies.
You are not wrong. They can be made very well and interesting.

But there is no arguing that this is an overused setting.
Like WW2.
After the 100th or so game that is mainly about zombies (and yes I think we may have reached that number soon), the main reaction becomes "Not again!", no matter how good the game behind it.

DraQ

Arcane
Zombasite sounds like the name of a band created by a metal guitarist who went solo, failed, then had to scramble together a band again because the old band didn't want him back because they knew he was creatively empty.
Dumbassite.
:M

I don't want the zombie fad to end, at least not until it produces a title or two worth playing.
Go play Myth I+II.

You are not wrong. They can be made very well and interesting.

But there is no arguing that this is an overused setting.
Like WW2.
After the 100th or so game that is mainly about zombies (and yes I think we may have reached that number soon), the main reaction becomes "Not again!", no matter how good the game behind it.
And they can be interesting as novelty enemy, you know, implying it isn't just zombies everywhere.

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
Soldak are the bros to end all bros. 10/10, fapping furiously.

set

Cipher
I never understood what people have against zombies. They can make for interesting enemies. Perforating weapons are almost useless against them. And different from skeletons, they have lots of tissue to absorb bludgeoning damage. Depending on how they work, severed body parts can keep fighting against you. Finally, in a P&P game, you have to take lots of special precautions against them, such as making sure they don't have access to cemeteries, enforcing curfews on villages that may be preyed upon, etc. Played well, zombies are a guerrilla force that just won't die.

That said, this variety does look a lot better if the game isn't wholly, or even mainly, about zombies.

Zombies are never interesting because developers get a free pass to implement zero-AI enemies for the player to fight. Just look at Deadstate, literally the zombies just stand around and have no agency whatsoever. All they can do is attack the nearest thing with the lowest health. They are never "interesting" enemies.

DraQ

Arcane
Zombies are never interesting because developers get a free pass to implement zero-AI enemies for the player to fight. Just look at Deadstate, literally the zombies just stand around and have no agency whatsoever. All they can do is attack the nearest thing with the lowest health. They are never "interesting" enemies.
Hence novelty enemy. They can be interesting depending on damage system - if you have one in place that can convincingly convey "how can you kill that which has no life is already dead" problem.
As primary enemy they do suck and are thinly velied excuse for durr AI.

Other case where they can work are when they are guided by an intelligent agent, take Myth, for instance, but it requires getting a lot of things right, including the atmosphere.
A sound basic assumption is that the level of competence and creativity involved in getting those things right will be comparable to one involved in coming up with "Zombasite".
So somewhere between a train wreck and a noodle incident somehow culminating in a train wreck.

Turjan

Arcane
... (2) parasites are generally not "intelligent" and typicaly don't give their hosts new powers...
Meh, the D&D 3.5 Tsochari from Lords of Madness fit the bill quite nicely. Still, zombies are a let-down.

majestik12

Arcane
Steven Peeler is the king of ridiculous game names. His new achievement beats pretty much all of the earlier ones.
Not that it matters much for the game. I find Soldak's game design approach very interesting, so it will be very interesting to see how it will evolve in the next title.

Also, the fact that zombies were overexploited in the mass market entertainment during the past decade doesn't change the fact that zombies are AWESOME. Although it would be nicer if we could enslave nations with necromancy instead of surviving yet another Zombie Apocalypse.

Bio Force Ape

Arcane
Zombie-cide would have been a cooler name. Zombisite sounds like something your doctor finds growing in your ear.

Norfleet

It's not so much anything against zombies as it is that zombies are so 2010. They're pretty much textbook examples of one-dimensional enemies. They're passable when used sparingly, but they're an environmental hazard, not an antagonist.

DraQ

Arcane
It's not so much anything against zombies as it is that zombies are so 2010. They're pretty much textbook examples of one-dimensional enemies. They're passable when used sparingly, but they're an environmental hazard, not an antagonist.
This. Zombies are boring.
It's basically a part of their core concept.

hello friend

Arcane
So old news. So last season. So out of style.

:codexisfor:

DraQ

Arcane
So old news. So last season. So out of style.

:codexisfor:
So vintage.

Norfleet

It's not vintage until it has been GONE for awhile. Maybe in 10 years, zombies can be vintage. As it stands now, zombies are just overused, because they're basically the generic cardboard cutout enemy: Mindless, slow, and stupid. A cop-out of enemy AI, best used sparingly as cannonfodder for a real threat. They're no longer a threat anymore, they're so ubiquitous and overused that they're just an environmental hazard, but without the appeal and utility value of exploding barrels of green goo.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Zombies are fine. Soldak games are boring.

DraQ

Arcane
Zombies are fine. Soldak games are boring.
Zombies ARE boring. They are mindless by design, how the fuck is it anything but boring?
They make for a good flavour piece, or an enemy to highlight the difference between fighting a living being and an undead one, possibly rendering player's so-far reliable tactics unusable and pushing them out of comfort zone, but in themselves zombies. Are. Boring.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Zombies are good enemies in games designed for casuals. No challenge. No angry customer due challenge in games. More convinced to buy = $$$.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom