Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Zombasite, New Action RPG from Soldak

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Soldak Entertainment; Zombasite

Soldak Entertainment, the company behind Din's Curse, Depths of Peril, and Drox Operative, has sent in a press release announcing their new game, Zombasite, to be released in 2015:

Zombasite is a zombie apocalypse action RPG set in a dynamic, evolving, fantasy world for Windows, Mac, and Linux.

The dark elves have always played god by creating and enhancing underworld slave creatures. As they watched a horde of zombies destroy the huge demon city Kraval, the dark elves were tantalized by the devastating power of uncontrolled zombies, and desired to control and increase it. When they wove their dominating magic into a few captive zombies something went horribly wrong!

They hadn't known the powerful necromancer, Ciglio, had created these zombies. To control his huge armies of undead, Ciglio permanently bound his zombies and their infected victims to him. This binding was so powerful, their loyalty surpassed his untimely death. In the dark elves pride and lust, their magic twisted into Ciglio's binding, fusing into a new, uncontrollable creation, the Zombasite.

Zombasite is a nasty, voracious, all-consuming Zombie Parasite. It doesn't just reanimate the dead into mindless zombies. It is intelligent, insatiable, and unstoppable-infecting and killing the living, spreading faster and in more ways, helping the dead utilize many of their original skills, and mutating the dead with new powers. Dark elf zombies are terrifying!

So what does this have to do with you? You are the leader of a clan trying to survive the apocalypse. This is easier said than done. When a follower dies, they can't be saved by any means. The Zombasite is highly contagious and zombies are quickly ravaging the world's surface. Food is a critical resource that must be obtained. Vendors are rare and have limited supplies. Some of the stronger monsters have survived and are as dangerous as ever. Clans of humans and monsters are fighting over what few supplies are left. Even within your own clan it isn't safe. Humans living on the edge are even more unstable than usual. So yeah, survival isn't easy.

Features
  • Survive the zombie apocalypse in a fantasy world
  • Experience uniquely created worlds for every game, with different areas, monsters, items, and quests
  • Explore a dynamic, evolving, living world
  • Lead a clan of followers who have their own personalities and skills
  • Navigate relationships with rival clans using diplomacy, trade, war, and raids
  • Adventure with your friends with co-op multiplayer
  • Your choices truly impact the game!
Zombasite is scheduled to be released in the 2nd quarter of 2015, however it will be released when it's done. For more information about Zombasite head over to http://www.soldak.com/Zombasite/Overview.html

In contrast to most other zombie games, this one is set in a fantasy world. However, with due respect to Soldak, I cannot but wonder when this zombie fad will finally end.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I'm not excited for yet another zombie game, but knowing what they did with Din's Curse town raids & monster factions, this could be interesting.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
When a game has a zombie setting, the only way people will play it is despite the setting.
Except the most die hard zombie fans (of which I do not know many).

Fantasy + Zombies does make it more interesting, though, for sure.
That is something that has not been done too often.
I know that all fantasy settings have zombies, but an actual apocalypse with that is not seen often in games.

Norfleet

In contrast to most other zombie games, this one is set in a fantasy world. However, with due respect to Soldak, I cannot but wonder when this zombie fad will finally end.
The Zombie "fad" has been over for some time. Zombies are so 2010. Everyone still doing that is being unfashionably untrendy.

Outmind

Augur
I don't want the zombie fad to end, at least not until it produces a title or two worth playing.

Reading about Din's Curse on wikipedia:
The game world (the town and dungeons in which the mayhem is occurring) is always randomly generated before each new world level begins. Once into the world (which is really a town sitting on top of labyrinthine dungeon levels), the player must quickly go about his business killing monsters and solving quests before the monsters begin to gather their forces to attack the town.

If the player fails to accomplish quests on time, a few things can happen: Someone else (a game engine generated NPC) could attempt and succeed, or attempt and fail (in which case a rescue quest might be spawned), or the monsters could advance their goals towards destroying the town. With many quests to juggle, plus the need to ward off the occasional foray into town by monster raiding parties or assassins, the player is kept on their toes.

When too many things go wrong, the inevitable tide of monsters will surge into town. Once too many of the townsfolk get slaughtered, the player fails the overall quest of saving the town. On the other hand, if the player is able to keep things under control and with enough key quests solved, the town gets saved and the player gets rewarded with loot and the option of continuing onto the next town (the next world level), a step in the direction towards gaining Din's favor and winning redemption (i.e. winning the game).

To people who had played it: is it as great as it sounds? Concept is amazing but as always it all boils down to execution.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
The overall idea works quite well, but the moment-to-moment is not exciting. It has all Diablo elements but it felt slow and lacking punch. The invasions, kidnaps, monster clans, infinite dungeons, etc were awesome, your interactions with them through fantasy violence no so much.

DraQ

Arcane
Tags: Soldak Entertainment; Zombasite

Soldak Entertainment, the company behind Din's Curse, Depths of Peril, and Drox Operative, has sent in a press release announcing their new game, Zombasite, to be released in 2015:

Zombasite is a zombie apocalypse​
Next.

The only time I've ever enjoyed a zombie apocalypse game was when I played Myth.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Zombasite
:M

Surely this is a working title? Even as portmanteaux go, it is pretty nonsensical, since (1) zombie-ism as a parasite/virus is nothing new; (2) parasites are generally not "intelligent" and typicaly don't give their hosts new powers; and (3) zombie and parasite are from distinct languages, and mashed up they would mean "zombie eater" or "eats with zombies" but not "sentient zombie virus." All can be forgiven if it sounds good, but it doesn't even sound fantastical let alone fantastic.

soldak are bros i enjoyed [and continue to enjoy] DoP, DC and DO.

looking forward to this because they seem to be one of the few developers who actually 'get' randomly-generated and dynamic worlds

dont mind the zombies; they could be walking fart clouds for all i care as long as the mechanics are solid and its fun to play.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Guessing it's going to be another copy/paste job that uses the same engine/mechanics as Depths of Peril, Din's Curse, that space game, etc. They really need to move on to a fresh approach.

Action RPG, Zombies AND Elves?

:decline:

Bookmarking this to throw in your face when you beg for it on the beg thread in a couple years.

himmy

Arcane
Fantasy + Zombies does make it more interesting, though, for sure.

Trying to achieve freshness by combining two overused settings sounds insane, but, hey, Star Wars combined spaceships with magic powers and people seem to have enjoyed that, so who knows.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Trying to achieve freshness by combining two overused settings sounds insane, but, hey, Star Wars combined spaceships with magic powers and people seem to have enjoyed that, so who knows.
only the ones that also combined western, though, similar to firefly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom