Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Conarium - Lovecraftian horror game from Zoetrope inspired by At The Mountains Of Madness

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
There is this thing on player's wrist. It looks like some portal or time device.
confjf.jpg

Consciousness Displacement stuff like described in The Shadow Out Of Time probably (the machine on the table, the watch being a control device). Looks like it's activated in reverse though, which could be an interesting spin.
The architecture briefly shown in the trailer doesn't feel Lovecraftian sadly. It just looked like a bad glossy Legend of Grimrock squarefest or something. Maybe it's just a poorly made trailer, but I fear they either just didn't get it, or just choked on it...

Will keep an eye though...

edit:
Nm, the guy sees his old body and suit after activation so it's just standard teleportation in time or some shit. Weird.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
If the strongest kind of fear in the unknown, I wonder whether there's much scare left in Lovecraft's increasingly shopworn mythos. :/

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I'm not so sure. It's almost impossible to capture the unexpected quality of Lovecraft's work at this point. If you go back and read any of the weird or gothic tales that are now part of the canon, they seem pretty weak precisely because we know what the expect: those two holes on Mina's neck; the bug-eyed degenerates by the docks; the "hallucinations" of the avant garde professor -- that it's vampire, fishmen, or ancient aliens or whatever is totally unremarkable. Nowadays those elements get used in a kind of postmodern way (like in Blade or Hellboy or whatever), and that's perfectly fun, but it's really not at all faithful to the spirit of the source material, it's just using the characters, locations, artifacts, etc. from them.

I'm not saying it can't be fun, just that it can't really be scary or uncanny.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
It can be scary, or uncanny, if executed right. The thing that's great about HPL's horror is not the "monsters". It's the unseen, that which lurks in darkness and ultimately the fact that the main character doesn't know if he is sane or not, if it's all in his mind, if the darkness is his own.

I recently played Zoetrope's first game, Darkness Within, and even though it had its problems and rough edges, it managed to capture that atmosphere of dread and unseen, inner horror. Here's a mini review I wrote in the screenshot thread:

Darkness Within: In Pursuit of Loath Nolder

Point and click first person adventure pretty similar to Scratches. Few games get the Lovecraftian atmosphere. These guys get it.

Pros:
  • Lovecraftian atmosphere done right with good writing.
  • Nice aesthetics/visuals.
  • Interesting puzzle-solving ideas with the ability to gather clues by general observation or by manually underlining passages in documents and then being able to combine those clues like inventory puzzles.
  • Some good logical puzzles that require observation and careful thought.
  • A certain non-linearity and some secret/side stuff that can be found that are not required to finish the game but add more to the setting/story.

Cons:
  • A couple of shitty instances of "pixel hunting" that can bork your game.
  • Above gameplay mechanic can become problematic since the game sometimes expects you to find certain clues or perform certain clue inventory combinations even if you've already reached the correct conclusion.
  • Discerning what should be underlined in documents can lead to frustration (if you play in the hardest mode, you can change that to make it easier in the settings).

It's a bit unpolished, but all and all very much recommended, especially for horror/HPL fans.

pvJpLVv.jpg

gHQpT5o.jpg

M0pBpIU.jpg

TovV8kt.jpg

ifBr3na.jpg

z7CwhNj.jpg

6SbOLnq.jpg

UuTp6Yk.jpg

tLsZR5A.jpg

MBCwZCh.jpg

uilGVtl.jpg

kkQeGyt.jpg

s7hkrjW.jpg

uZdKjpk.jpg

HMYpbvH.jpg

9VjJTjr.jpg

MEtbznI.jpg

cMchct1.jpg

0tkNBFf.jpg

MAf4iwG.jpg

q5RZyJR.jpg

yv49byb.jpg

MzdCLkd.jpg

jQpm8dU.jpg

G7Yay47.jpg

AgmYwxh.jpg

Hpb0ymI.jpg

ZjWAB62.jpg

aA23uyI.jpg

KUB1qts.jpg

ZGhsKb1.jpg

NOh2pCc.jpg

QX6BujZ.jpg

I could go into a more in-depth discussion about the game, there are a couple of brilliant moments and an interesting ambiguity in the plot, but it would be too spoilery.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'm not so sure. It's almost impossible to capture the unexpected quality of Lovecraft's work at this point. If you go back and read any of the weird or gothic tales that are now part of the canon, they seem pretty weak precisely because we know what the expect: those two holes on Mina's neck; the bug-eyed degenerates by the docks; the "hallucinations" of the avant garde professor -- that it's vampire, fishmen, or ancient aliens or whatever is totally unremarkable. Nowadays those elements get used in a kind of postmodern way (like in Blade or Hellboy or whatever), and that's perfectly fun, but it's really not at all faithful to the spirit of the source material, it's just using the characters, locations, artifacts, etc. from them.

I'm not saying it can't be fun, just that it can't really be scary or uncanny.

I've never found Lovecraft's works scary, even when reading them for the first time. I just dig the themes a lot. A nice family in a bucolic idyll? Here, have some Colour from out of Space and die horribly for no particular reason. Slime cube monsters that were originally slaves screaming demented shit while they chase you down (Tekeli-li, Tekeli-li). Cats going nuts (And in the end the burgesses passed that remarkable law which is told of by traders in Hatheg and discussed by travellers in Nir; namely, that in Ulthar no man may kill a cat.). Erich Zann keeping the abyss at bay by playing his violin and vanishing along with his whole street when the narrator screws up.

Darkness Within 1/2 reproduce those themes very well. Those two games are probably the best homage to HPL the videogame medium has to offer. At least amongst the ones I have played.

Pray to Great Azathoth that Conarium manages this as well.

I was very into Lovecraft when I was a kid (around 16 or so) but the twist endings get really tiresome and when you realize most of his eldritch horrors are just his dislike of seafood transmogrified it all seems a little silly. Still, the themes of chaos and cosmic horror beyond human comprehension are pretty cool to this day.

Nowadays when I read Lovecraft I mostly reread his Dreamlands stuff (Silver Key, Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath, etc.). He's a pretty decent emulator of Dunsany (much better than of Poe, anyway). Since it's really far-out shit it doesn't seem as silly as his more 'grounded' tales.

And in my mind, although the Zoetrope games are cool, the videogame that has most accurately captured Lovecraft for me is Anchorhead (even though it cheats a little by being interactive fiction). Nothing else comes close.

Monk

Arcane
What makes Lovecraft's works frightening is the point that the universe is neutral.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2017/0...s-two-frosty-first-person-experiences/248862/

Iceberg Interactive Delivers Two Frosty First-Person Experiences
By Jordan Helm on March 7, 2017

There’s been no shortage of first-person, narrative-driven titles in the past five years. Like ‘em or loathe ‘em — tack ‘em with the dysphemistic “walking simulator” description or otherwise — the art of story-telling has been but one of natural evolution as technology advances and the subject matter for such narratives has only increased alongside. Be it set in the past or flung into the future, settled in reality or coaxing the slightly-less “understood,” while it would be fair to question just how engaged players will truly be in a story-led, gameplay-lenient product, you can’t say the genre is lacking in possibility.

Dutch publisher Iceberg Interactive brought with them not one but two first-person titles for myself to try out at this year’s GDC. Each of which, though bound by a similarly story-focused, narrative-led thread, are miles apart when it comes to the chosen themes and resulting tone and aesthetics such stories both require and deliver. To varying degrees and length. First up was Zoetrope Interactive’s psychological horror-leaning, Lovecraftian-inspired (and referenced in certain parts, though graciously treating the established lore of those acclaimed novels as inspiration and accompaniment rather than merely ripping off its content) adventure Conarium. Taking on the role of one of four scientists during an archeological expedition in the Antarctic, the player-character Frank Gilman, you’re as much trying to rediscover your sense of sanity as you are your three missing crew members.

Grappling as you do with the influential power of the Conarium itself — an artificial device that allows human minds and consciousness to transcend beyond the physical reaches of our own World — as reality warps, even shifts to a more Eldritch-like realm at points, Conarium though dabbles in the physical presence of horror is a game that focuses more on the psychological leanings and influence on the mind that horror can often invoke. Though the gameplay from early impressions is left relatively devoid of physical confrontation or otherwise other persons (or “things”) to obstruct one’s progression, the main star — intentional or not — is undoubtedly the game’s setting and how even in the more saner of setting that is Earth can invoke a slightly ambient but allthemore anxious vibe with its Unreal Engine-powered toning and subtle shading/lighting to make even the coziest of mansions or identifiable submarine workspaces feel like the last place one wants to be.

Though the game will make nods and indeed references to Lovecraft’s work — treating the game almost like an unofficial sequel in parts — Conarium doesn’t intentionally isolate those completely new to the mythos and lore surrounding such tales. What’s more, the sheer lack of any predictable horror gameplay tropes — acquiring an item at the end of a corridor or room only to find your way back now littered with sentient “obstructions — not to mention the slightly open-ended approach to objectives in parts means that the game, while still following a strict linearity in its tale, will still allow players to soak both World’s palpable and well-struck visuals of human curiosity and monstrous consequence often a result of humanity being just bit too curious in the wrong places. An eye-catching amount of depth in its visuals most certainly and what’s more, built by a developer clearly read up on the natural aesthetic and vibe of such tales, Conarium is looking to treat the grandiose and mind-melting mythos of Lovecraft’s imagination with a significant degree of both respect and enjoyment when it launches in the second quarter of this year on PC.

Secondly, while not as horror-leaning or focused on the tension of its setting, Empathy — created by developer Pixel Light — attempts to a follow a similarly existential route with a game that has you control not so much one strict character or perspective. Rather, Empathy sees you briefly take on the personality and thoughts of those you come across via memories and log-based dialogue. Though these separate entities don’t appear in the game World itself, the narrative aims to present these people through their speech and emotions alone. Set within a strange, dream-like World with contrasting scenery and visual cues, the objective of the game is to traverse this setting while uncovering what may initially appear like random objects but in fact are your only key to figuring out what’s actually going on.

The way in which players “unlock” these objects and acquire the character narrative linked to them is by, what could be described as, “tuning” them into the right frequency so that the items present revert to their proper physical form from out their once transparent state. This is done via a radio-like device acquired from the start and rotating the control stick until the desired frequency — indicated by a prompted sine-wave — is located. While most of these objects will offer merely exposition to the story, others are required to solve puzzles, such as building a bridge to the other side of a platform, in order to progress.

One of the noticeable features of the player’s own progression is that acquiring certain pieces of narrative and discovering said characters’ thoughts will result in the environment changing in subtle forms within the context of what’s being told in the story. While some areas will require only a cosmetic change, other acquisition will unlock new areas altogether in the more spacious and non-linear of moments meaning players will likely traverse previously visited areas. Though it’s important to note, as a member of the team indicated to me, that this game will only take around six to seven hours to complete, so to what extent players will find themselves in these such open areas — not to mention how much these spaces will expand and alter on a visual level — remains to be seen. Like Conarium, Empathy will also arrive in the second quarter of this year on PS4, Xbox One and PC.

It’s safe to say that both Conarium and Empathy are aiming to expand both the conceptual and presentational means that first-person narratives can explore with their own iterations here.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Some brief gurl preview of a demo:

http://www.kitsuga.com/index.php/2017/03/26/conarium-tension-without-release/

Who is ready for Call of Ctuthulu to be done right again? We’ve seen it with Darkest Dungeon. We’ve seen it with games like Silent Hill but never actually flat out going full Eldritch in the first person. Conarium seeks to change that. Here you will face horrors unknown and challenges that speak more to the horror within your mind rather than the threat to your physical body. The demo I played was fairly well done. The most important part of it was sound. Every little detail of the sound effects was traumatizing. The tension build up was never quite released.

Conarium does an excellent job at keeping you on edge, continuously. It keeps ramping up that amount of tension as the nearly 45 minute demo progressed. Even when we saw our ending for that demo, I was still shaking expecting more to jump out at me. Conarium has done it’s homework of preparing abject terror for the player.

There is a music score here for the audio but it’s more of a alien sounding one. It sounds like the very stones around you are there, making the noises rather than an instrument. Furthermore is how every little change in the environment alters your reaction. In Conarium every single rock falling, every bit of dust disturbed, everything feels like something should assault you right then and there. You are constantly tensed, constantly on edge, and always thinking of looking over your shoulder. Even in the crowded show floor, I felt a sense of isolation with the headphones on. The game’s audio in the demo has done an amazing job of isolating the player and making them feel the sense of dread and impending doom.

The visuals are very surreal and a mix of alien ascetic, otherworldly and odd angle skin crawling, and a sense that humans were not meant to be here. One simply cannot describe how unprepared I was for this and how much I felt like I was about to die at any moment. Conarium knows how to build tension and has done an excellent job at building upon H.P. Lovecraft lore with just this short demo. Let’s hope the game developers can come through with something even more with another demo before the full game comes out.

I hope they release that demo for the public too.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
http://www.unwinnable.com/2017/04/03/revving-the-engine-conarium/

Lovecraft is everywhere these days. Even if there are no tentacles to be seen, his themes of cosmic dread, of a vast and uncaring universe, have riddled the pop cultural landscape. Outside of fiction, though, nowhere is his hold so strong as in games. From the Call of Cthulhu tabletop RPG to the Arkham Horror board game series to Infocom’s Lurking Fear and the original Alone in the Dark, Lovecraft has been a constant companion in the history of games.

Today, we’ve entered a cosmic horror renaissance, with as many Lovecraftian titles as there are types of games: Amnesia, The Last Door, Bloodborne, Mass Effect, The Secret World, Darkest Dungeon, Dead Space and countless others. Now, a team from Istanbul, Turkey, seeks to reveal the mysteries of the Conarium.

The team of three – Galip Karto?lu, Oral Samli and Onur Samli – came together 14 years ago to develop adventure games. Using a proprietary game engine, they produced a pair of Lovecraftian horrors called Darkness Within: In Pursuit of Loath Nolder and Darkness Within 2: The Dark Lineage. After a five year hiatus, they team returned to the Darkness Within game with an eye towards updating them for Steam. Working together again revived their passion for making horror games. Thus was Conarium conceived.

Conarium is a story heavy Lovecraftian horror/adventure/exploration game played in first person perspective. The game takes place on an Antarctic expedition, with the player taking the role of amnesiac Miskatonic University lecturer Frank Gilman to find out what the group’s actual purpose is. Along they way, you’ll explore everything from a Victorian mansion housing a grotesque and exotic collection of relics to the catacombs of a pre-human city with its non-human residents still sleeping in their rock coffins.

3D artist Onur Samli took time out from development to chat with us about Conarium and the enduring appeal of Lovecraftian horror. Look for Conarium on Steam soon!

011.jpg

Lovecraft’s work, particularly his themes of cosmic horror, have become increasingly visible in mainstream culture, especially in games. Why do you think this is?

Onur Samli: I believe there are two main causes. First is the rise of independent game developers and some of their successful launches on various Lovecraftian themes, which are popular among indie gamers and YouTubers alike. Second, I believe, is Lovecraft’s way of building his stories. He was a myth creator and always interwove his own ideas with historical facts and real world mythologies. This alone makes it easy for creators looking for new themes to incorporate Lovecraft’s ideas into their own.

What is it about Lovecraftian horror that appeals to you personally?

O. S.: I especially love the way he sifted reality with his sieve of creativity and mixed the result with his own fiction. Also, his use of intertextuality. These let me find clues elsewhere regarding the situations described in his works. I think this is simply amazing.

What can you tell me about the name of the game? I know that the conarium is somehow connected to the pineal gland…

O. S.: Yes, conarium means pineal gland, a pine cone-shaped gland which René Descartes referred to be the “principal seat of the soul.” It is also linked to a vestigial organ, known as the parietal eye, which is also called the third eye. You can trace the concept all the way back to the classical antiquity and beyond. One can find several references to the pineal gland in numerous ancient cultures. Just to name a few: the Sumerian god Tammuz was depicted as holding the sacred pine cone and the Egyptian staff of Osiris has one on the top.

003.jpg

How do the concepts of time and perception play into Conarium?

O. S.: Conarium is a story driven game and we chose to convey the story in a nonlinear fashion. By saying nonlinear, I don’t mean that player can travel between different times and spaces as they will. The way the story is presented and narrated in is nonlinear. We use the literary device called stream of consciousness in a psychological and physical sense; thoughts and past experiences of the protagonist can be experienced by the player when interacting with game objects that are somehow familiar.

I’m intrigued about human perception being central to a game where being perceived (by hostile inhabitants of the environment) is obviously detrimental to the player’s health. How do you balance a player’s curiosity – their need to perceive – against the inherent dangers of being perceived?

O. S.: Actually, I can’t say the concept of perception exceeds the storytelling to become a major mechanic of the game. We’re strongly limited to the narrative design. We tried to incorporate such elements as a main mechanic but we quickly realized, being a team of three comes with its limitations.

Does Conarium have a sanity mechanic?

O. S.: At the initial phases of development, Conarium was more action heavy than it is now. And back then, we wanted to have a sanity mechanic that would suit the game. We changed the design quite a bit as the development progressed. Now action is not in the prime focus of the game and sanity has becomes a narrative element

Conarium seems to be a cousin of other “hiding” games like Amnesia: The Dark Descent. How do those mechanics work with Lovecraftian themes?

O. S.: No, actually it is not. During the initial phases, we designed the game to be more action heavy. Player would need to hide to avoid creature encounters in order to progress in the game. At some point, we even thought about giving the protagonist some enigmatic powers to deceive and thus escape from dangers. But it seemed that such mechanics don’t fit into the realistic Lovecraftian setting we are aiming for, so we decided to use the action sequences as a means to convey the story rather than making the game a monster maze.

010.jpg

What do you hope to achieve with Conarium? How do you hope to affect your players?

O. S.: Our sole desire is to convey a Lovecraftian story that players can immerse into and feel as if they are exploring secrets spanning from the modern world of 1950’s to what remains of an unfathomable antediluvian epoch when civilizations unknown to men arose and fell to ruin.

How does Unreal Engine help in developing a game like Conarium? Are there any unexpected benefits or challenges?

O. S.: UE4 definitely helped a lot. For a development team of only three people, updating our proprietary engine was not viable. We evaluated a few different options and, in the end, decided to use Unreal Engine 4 for its robust visual capabilities, ease of use and variety of platforms it supports.

Has the Dev Grant allowed you to do anything you otherwise would not have been able to?

O. S.: No, not to that extent, but since we are an independent development team and we cover most of the costs by ourselves, the Dev Grant has given us an economical relief. The most important benefit it provided, is that it gave us courage, since to be selected among many successful projects is something to be proud of.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Zoetrope has my vote of confidence. These guys have proven they can do "Lovecraftian" horror and also come up with some neat gameplay ideas.

:thumbsup:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Yeah, Zoetrope is one of the few Developers (left) I will usually buy a game from them out right. Most all their games are interesting and I always enjoy them (even flawed as they are).

Looking forward to playing this.

garren

Arcane
Patron
What does he say in the last sentence? I can't make it out.

"Among all the conarium ??? is the most, how should I say it... gifted."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom