Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Zero Escape: The Nonary Games on Steam

flyingjohn

Arcane
41,99€
tumblr_lpg9b3VuXM1qlh1s6o1_400.gif

Looking forward to the devs complaining about dirty pc peasants who are too cheap to buy this game.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

That's quite unexpected.

Probably the cost of voice actors? (First game got VA for the first time and for the second game, it's possible they had to pay extra to VAs for this release.)

Zerth

Arbiter
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
41,99€ for a couple games that are just a bunch puzzles and dialogues?! I finished 9doors9persons9hours and I liked it overall (I'm yet to play Its sequels though), but the content it offers shouldn't worth more than 15$. At least that's my assessment. 30$ would be a O.K price, but more than that is just pushing it.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Can someone give me an elevator pitch of this "game"?

I heard its a very intriguing storyfag adventure. Might do a weaboo if 50% off.

This is actually 2 games ported in one package:999 originally made for the ds and it's sequel virtue last reward for the 3ds and vita.
I will be talking most about 999 since i haven't finished virtue last reward yet.
The game is a visual novel novel with branching story and puzzles as the only game play element.
Most of the game will be spent reading text and making choices which will determine on which story path you are.
This game has a flow chart where you can jump freely between story parts so you don't have to replay the game until you hit the choice part again.
The puzzle game play is a typical point and click game play.You look,take and combine items to solve the puzzles in order to progress.
The puzzles vary in quality and type.One moment you are solving math stuff,the other you are dealing with chemistry stuff,etc.
Most of them are on the easier side.
This ain't no myst or any other high quality puzzle game,but the puzzles are not boring and they serve their purpose.
There are multiple endings and stuff you learn on one branch is useful for the others.
The story is worth it,but if you played ever 17 you might get annoyed by some recycling elements.
So if you have any interest in visual novels and like a good story i say wait until the price drops at 50 percent,cause right now the games are way too expensive.
Or you could emulate the original 999 on the ds,you wouldn't miss anything except voices and the flowchart.
In fact the twist in the plot is handled better in the ds version.

flyingjohn

Arcane
So just finished 999 and for some weird reason the devs have decided to swap the final puzzle which is a Sudoku with this:

I know Sudoku wasn't really hard but this feels disappointing as the final puzzle.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I don't like japanese stuff (weaboo and else) and despise letsplayers in general but these two games for some weird reasons were entertaining to watch by Supergreatfriend. Still waiting for his 3rd LP to finish (Zero Time Dilemma, heard it's BAD game).
But download and play myself? nah
What about
time travel thing
? Compared to movies and games from current decade about
time travel/manipulation
it was decent, I guess?

So who's gonna do LP for Codex Playground? Steve after Andromeda?

Ivan

Arcane
so I just had a great time with the first entry of this series. fantastic character development within the first very ten minutes that puts nu-Torment to shame. puzzles are very clever, though some made me feel retarded (the last morse code one wtf). very impressed.
started VTL. horrible character in Zero AI. Not digging the art style. does this shit get better, I'm 2 hours in and it feels like a retread on 999

Eggs is eggs

Learned
Yes, I would say that the story of VLR follows the same formula as the story in 999. They're both fun games with great puzzles and great stories but I think the final reveal at the end of both games is too bat-shit crazy and takes some of the wind out of each game. They came up with these great mysteries in both games but there is so much stuff happening in each game that they need to come up with an insanely complicated solution to all the questions that the game poses ("Why are we here?" "Who are these people?" "Who killed this character?" "How did they kill them?" etc etc etc). Character development was way better in VLR though.

Ivan

Arcane
Quick question: 999 relied on sound effects when transitioning scenes, particularly hurried footsteps when crossing large distances. VLR on the other hand has a very bad habit of showing you all the doors and elevator button presses, AND your progress on the map, before returning control back to you,. only during critical scenes where the story calls for everyone to move urgently does it skip all of this tedious transition fluff. Does the 3rd game rectify this time wasting bullshit?

Last edited:

Eggs is eggs

Learned
The most tedious part about VLR was the fact that you have to do the middle section of the game 6 times (3 coloured doors * 2 choices in the AB game). All the map travelling stuff and door/button presses were fine IMO and helped get you acquainted with the geography of the game.

Ivan

Arcane
i'm trudging through it right now. it's baffling how some end points are the same. I've gotten the same Clover ending twice now.

however, I think this game does the epiphanies much better than 999, quite clever how they force you to starting new threads before continuing ones you've already started

edit: so my main problem with this entry is the tone. Where 999 was more of a suspenseful thriller, VLR aims to be a slow-burn psychological mystery. the thrills are still present but few and far between. Also, as Eggs is eggs said, that you have to branch off an early section forces you through so many fucking doors and elevators it becomes a huge chore. the game is very inconsistent when it decides to cut to an area and when it forces you through that long ass boring wait.

how should I adjust my expectations for the third entry? does it retain the faster pace of 999?

Last edited:

Ivan

Arcane
Finished: so while the twists are very much worth the experience, I feel the game could have been trimmed of so much fat, namely forcing you to play the AB game BEFORE you can do the puzzle rooms. Not only do you have to exhaust all of the little variations, but you have to sit through the transition scenes over and over and over again. That aside, the story was captivating, the characters were mostly great too. I'm looking forward to starting the 3rd entry and hope it doesn't do as much recycling and gets to the point more like 999 did.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom