Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Zenimax wins lawsuit against Interplay.

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
That should teach me not to browse these forums first.

Zenimax won the lawsuit.
I dont know if I should feel happy about Herve getting screwed (he does get more money, 2 million in consideration, fucker probably planned on it) or depressed knowing that an actual Fallout MMO might actually be delivered, and at the hands of Zenimax.

I may go lie down.

Drakron

Arcane
Settlement =/= Victory

Herve got 3 millions when he would get noting but debt if FOOL ever gone ahead.

Cassidy

Arcane
Best result would have been for this lawsuit to futilely drain funds from both and end with neither side winning.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Majors windle? He got screwed? He should ahve pushed for me as he was in good standinjg to actually win the court case, and a FO MMO is sure to make way more than 2mil. Way more. The swindlers here are the peices ofc rap known as Betehsda who used intimiation, expensive lawyers, and deeper projects to push the little guy around when theyw er ein the wrong. DISGUSTING!!!

p.s. That article reeks of Betehsda bias. Scumbags of the highest order!

mondblut

Arcane
Pfft, Volly, you are so naive.

Herve didn't plan to do a fallout MMO for a split second of his life. He took the license as a part of Fallout sellout package in full knowledge he'll eventually sell it back and add some cash on top of that original 7 millions deal, and ultimately achieved exactly that. You might even say Beth was indeed Herve'd and instead of having paid 7 millions then raking in royalties from a MMO they ultimately had to pay 9 millions and got fuck all for royalties.

...except, I suspect, neither did Bethsoft expect him to make the MMO in the first place. They only gave him a license to cut the price of the franchise buyout, secure in knowledge he'll fuck up and they'll wrestle it back for free. But he proved too cunning for them and they got to pay in full. So both parties were out to swindle one another, but Herve got the upper hand.

Wise Emperor

Arcane
3M $? Lawyers probably got paid twice the amount. It was known fact that whichever side wins, lawyers wins double (and codexers lose). Too bad zenimax didn't bleed out more.

FALLOUT 4:Return of the Derp, HERE WE COME!

Still the setting is so raped that FO MMO wouldn't hurt it a bit and I was curious of results.

Where is Menckenstein with his creepy/smug Herve avatar?

hiver

You mean herve won, because he trolled bethesda into paying him more millions. Not to mention suckered all the people (again) who came to work on the game whose work will now be just thrown away.
Why cant he just fall down the stairs and break his neck....

Don Peste

Arcane
Herve_Caen.jpg

Phelot

Arcane
Are we really still outraged by this shit? This is like 2 ugly hyenas fighting over a ragged corpse.

NewFag

Educated
Fallout has been dead for over a decade. It's just necrophilia now, that's all.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Fallout has been dead for over a decade. It's just necrophilia now, that's all.

You're correct but for the wrong reasons. It's not because Bethesda has the license or that it's not been in control of the original creator. The reason the series is dead is because MCA and co. won't have have the motivation to create a new one if given the chance. Bethesda will create more Fallouts but they suck without worthwhile dialog and story, which is the main strength of these games. With Fallout: New Vegas acting as the pseudo Van Buren, MCA and co finished a loose end. However, any new lore will likely be dictated strictly by Bethesda. Since Bethesda will be calling the shots for new lore, and their old resources from Van Buren having been expended, MCA and co won't want to touch Fallout anymore.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Trying too hard.

Wait, what? What exactly am I trying to hard about? I was under the impression that (at leas Fallout 1, should have specified) the old Fallouts dialog and execution of story was second only to PS:T.

Phelot

Arcane
Wait, what? What exactly am I trying to hard about? I was under the impression that (at leas Fallout 1, should have specified) the old Fallouts dialog and execution of story was second only to PS:T.
I don't know about them being that good, but they were certainly leagues ahead of the newer FO's. There were certainly a few highlights and some great back story. It's all a matter of opinion and I don't get why that'd be trying too hard.

I think you're right about MCA and co losing whatever Fallout bug they might have had in FNV. TBH, I don't know what else anyone can do with the IP other than try and make a whole new location like maybe New England or the deep south, but even then it'd be trying. Plus, you know they won't be able to resist the temptation to have ALL of FO lore in whatever game they make. Fuck, they could make Fallout: Australia and for some reason super mutants and the Enclave would be there.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
the strength of FO1&2 is characters and choices.

attackfighter

Magister
the strength of FO1&2 is characters and choices.

What characters were good? THey were almost all just 2-dimensional background props who could be summed up in a single sentence. "This guy is a tribal who who talks to a bone and is searching for his kidnapped sister. This other guy over here is an intelligent ghoul who challenges his groups hostile attititude toward strangers" etc. The only depth you can find in any of the characters is given through the (few) logs you find and read on your pipboy. Not to mention those logs are about on par with the codex entries in Dragon Age when it comes to congruity with the rest of the game.

The strengths of FO1&2 are instead: C&C, setting, non-linear plot. Characters are boring and dialogue is pretty average when compared to that of other RPGs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom