Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter zeds Holiday game 2016 (merry xmas) (rpg?) (learn a trick or two!)

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
This is the thread for my holiday game. It's not holiday-themed, it's just that I'll be working on it (a lot?) this holiday!

I'll be using the only game dev tool I know, multimedia fusion, cuz I can create things fast as zip-zap-rap.

Themes and (buzz)keywords: silly, dungeon crawler, largely automated combat, main character, ripping off Wizardry IV, dark UI, low REZ, randomly generated hirelings

I'll just be dumping pictures and stuff as I go along. Drop ur ideas, and let me know if you want your codex name as a variable for the randomly generated hirelings.

the first thing I've done is set up the rez: 320*240. I'm upscaling it 4xtimes. I'll be working with a 8x8 grid.

now I'm working on the UI elements. I want them to be re.usable and scalable, so instead of having premade boxes, I'll build them from components

like this:
eCRk9N9.png

with this simple gfx i can now make boxes of any size i want
HQkXEwm.png

next up ill make a placeholder portrait (maybe) and start build on the hiring process of hirelings which is what im ripping off from wiz iv and which will be the main thing with this game.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I want the text to be predictable (in length and layout) so I've made a bitmap font where each character fills a 8x8 grid
D2v76VX.png

the yellow font (for static text) borrows colors from the UI box elements

uKxU0Hc.png

A hireling has these attributes
name, class, race, trait
Name is randomly picked from a list; Class can be stuff like Warrior, Thief, Priest, Mage -- I don't know, keeping it simple; Race consists of one random adjective (for fun) and race; and Trait

You'll be able to have a few hirelings, at least... 5 (so a 6 char party with main character).

Class affects the hirelings primary function. your main character will be a spellcaster, so you'll want a warrior hireling to soak damage for instance. there should be one key utility aspect for each class.
Races will have strengths and weaknesses (the adjective is just there for flavor). For instance Troll could have a slower attack speed, but better defensive stats.
A trait could be "Blind", making the character useless at attacking but you may still want to pick that hireling because maybe it's a Priest and you need someone to heal your party? *

* = a scenario like this is the whole point of the game.

added some finishing touches on the static text font
lj5CbGF.png

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
To generate a character with class/race etc, I randomize a number for each attribute and pick a corresponding string from an ini file (which is one of the very few external file types multimedia fusion accepts)
1ywipbK.png

I'll populate this with funnier stuff later

I accidentally attached the adjective to class instead of race and it works much better IMO so I'm gonna roll with that
otPzGms.png

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
ok I'm back at it

for exploration im gonna go simple, but with a faux isometric perspective to keep it interesting

simple 2 width : 1 height ratio

first draft tile. wooden indoors floor, I guess. I add 3 pixels of height to give the tile a bit of a pop-out effect. I'm considering skipping walls entirely.
Gf4BIGF.png

first draft main character (spellcaster type - I'm thinking magi, alchemist, or something else that isn't "wizard" but still is)
xMHR7DA.png

I'm doing these first to check if I like the proportions (how big are characters to tiles, and tiles to window size), contrast between character and background
ZDq1b9D.png

eh, it's an okay start

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
spent half an hour iterating main character
QnRD1a1.png
r94SIjw.png
OvSvd42.png
L5rJtxF.png

finally
CYMqKPJ.png

I'll probably play around with skin color but I think I'll do basic movement next

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Add a secret animation where he pops genitals out.
animation is hard work.. I hate hard work!

this will have to do. this might end up being the only animation in the game. fuck it!
Y9rAI4X.gif

(not final animation tho)

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
This animation is actually pretty good, this character is interesting.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom