Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Ys series

Arthandas

Liturgist
Ys I/II seems like a sexual harassment simulator.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Same in Ys I. And in II, you get a similar achievement for inspecting an underage boy, called "Police are on their way". :M

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Just beaten Ys II. Also enjoyed it a lot.

I'd say both I and II are pretty good and, while II does have a larger scope and some clear improvements (like magic, for one, or more flavor dialogue thanks to shapeshifting and the gift system), I enjoyed them about equally. While simpler, atmosphere-wise I thought Ys I was even a bit better somehow.

13197.jpg
Heartbreaking stuff.

P.S. Speaking of attention to detail, the fact that giving a couple of gifts to Reah makes her wink at you in the ending sequence did amuse me a lot.

P.P.S.
:lol:

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Origins had great boss fights, yeah - but I hated how a bunch of them had a "life regen" gimmick - nothing more annoying than that!
It totally worked for the "true" final boss, though. Made it feel like he's an absolutely invincible piece of evil.
Finally tearing him down enough times and having the arena breaking apart beneath your legs was fucking awesome.

Crooked Bee

Patron
I'm seriously considering buying a PS Vita for Memories of Celceta. Plz send halp.

(It also has a couple of dungeon crawlers though, so I guess it's not that bad.)

In other news, I've beaten Origin with Yunica on Hard again.

13234.jpg

13235.jpg

:avatard:

13238.jpg

:salute:

13240.jpg

(Note the sword underneath the tree.)

Gonna play Hugo next, I guess.

Last edited:

Jack Dandy

Arcane
1. Have you played Seven? It's very similar from what I gather. And I hated Seven..

2. Did you do Toal yet?

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
The soundtrack is one of the best parts of YS. I really like the re-recorded rocking tunes of chronicles :

Crooked Bee

Patron
1. Have you played Seven? It's very similar from what I gather. And I hated Seven..

I gave it a brief try and actually plan on playing it after I'm done with Origin. Why did you hate it? Was it the control scheme and the funny way your character dashes instead of jumping?

2. Did you do Toal yet?

Nope. I actually only completed the game with Yunica twice so far. I still have Hugo and Toal to go. I hear Toal's route is pretty cool but I want to do Hugo's route first for completion's sake.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
1. Disliked Seven for several reasons:
- The dodge move didn't bother me ; It was the fact that the focus in boss battles moved from skillful dodging to a simple Royal Guard-fest.
The thing is, the only way to do good damage to bosses is via critical hits. And the only way to get critical hits is by Royal-Guarding their attacks and then attacking right after.
- The party system was lame: More than a few times I found someone getting in my way and ruining a combo or pushing me into an attack.
- Too many JRPG filler: Lots of (boring) story cutscenes, tacked-on "alchemy" element which encourages grinding for ingredients, having to manage all your guys' equipment..
It felt too much JRPG, not enough Ys.
- No jumping meant the dungeons were very lackluster compared to the Napishtim engine ones. Even enemies seemed dumber and just "there" than in the previous games.

2. You're gonna have lots of fun with the both of 'em! Hugo starts out weak, but about one third thru the game he becomes an absolute rapetrain.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
1. Disliked Seven for several reasons:
- The dodge move didn't bother me ; It was the fact that the focus in boss battles moved from skillful dodging to a simple Royal Guard-fest.
The thing is, the only way to do good damage to bosses is via critical hits. And the only way to get critical hits is by Royal-Guarding their attacks and then attacking right after.
- The party system was lame: More than a few times I found someone getting in my way and ruining a combo or pushing me into an attack.
- Too many JRPG filler: Lots of (boring) story cutscenes, tacked-on "alchemy" element which encourages grinding for ingredients, having to manage all your guys' equipment..
It felt too much JRPG, not enough Ys.
- No jumping meant the dungeons were very lackluster compared to the Napishtim engine ones. Even enemies seemed dumber and just "there" than in the previous games.

2. You're gonna have lots of fun with the both of 'em! Hugo starts out weak, but about one third thru the game he becomes an absolute rapetrain.
Then you should not touch Memories of Celceta with a 10 inch pole.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I didn't even knew Royal Guard was a thing until after I finished my Normal playthrough. Made my Nightmare playthrough lodsa easier.
But yeah, the party system really needs some good ironing out.
There doesn't seem to be any difference between the SP skills, aside from the SP cost and the shape of the attack. You only use it for MORE DAMAGE when the boss is stunned and just in general. You can see the differences between SP skills in MoC, thankfully.
Nor does there seem to be any difference in how another party member plays. They all come down to mashing the attack button, dodging, and using SP skills. The only differences being is their attack type, assortiment of SP skills and their EX attack. I expected to have a different playstyle when wielding a hueg hammer or shooting arrows than I do when wielding a sword. But party members just end up being additional life bars in boss fights. You should at least be able to order other party members around so they won't get in your way. It's not like they do much on their own but attack every once in a while and get hit.
Royal Guarding does make things 2 ez, you can stand in a pool of lava and just not get hurt. Honestly, Royal Guarding (or Flashguarding) should have some kind of limit similar to the stun bars of enemies, so you can't spam it all day. You DO receive 2x damage when Royal Guarding at the wrong moment, but you'll get the hang of the tempo sooner or later. No jumping means no platforming (although doing so with a party would end up with Dragon Slayer-style shenanigans) and a less varied attack pattern for bosses. Instead you roll around (or Royal Guard) everyone's attacks on a horizontal plane.
The final boss deserves a special mention for forcing you to level up your other six party members evenly, because you have no incentive to switch between two characters with the same damage type, aside from their passive ability and/or depending if you like their character (Dogi 4 life). So you'll end up with 4 underleveled party members with underleveled skills and underleveled weapons for the final boss, and that is not any fun at all. The game wants 7 playable characters (because it's called Ys SEVEN hurr durr) regardless, but like I said before, giving them a different playstyle would've given players an incentive to change party members every once in a while.
There was also that boss who you were supposed to lose to, thanks to his overpowered attacks. YOU COULD BRING HIS HEALTH DOWN TO 50%, AND THEN HE'D SIMPLY STOP RECEIVING ANY DAMAGE AT ALL WHILE YOU'RE SPENDING ALL YOUR CONSUMABLES TRYING TO FIGURE OUT A WAY TO KILL HIM. DON'T EVER DO THAT SHIT WHEN YOU DEVELOP A GAME.
The story isn't all that special (you are the chosen one for the umpteenth time), although it has some tweests here and there to keep things fresh. It does however spend alot of time on it through dialogue and cutscenes, moreso than other Ys games.
You'll also be backtracking dungeons (as your fast travel waypoints have been conveniently wiped away!) later on. There's also the whole crafting system, so you can gather materials by killing stuff and gathering stuff, and purchase special weapons and armor. To me it mostly incentivizes grinding (which Falcom probably intended with the final boss in mind).
The music is still great as ever, but there isn't much of a variety in tempo between the battle songs, so most of them sound kind of similar. I'm sure if you've listened enough J-Rock that you'll hear certain patterns pop up.
The gameplay is pretty damn fast, it's probably faster than the Napishtim games but not as fast as the bump system games. Despite its faults, I still had alot of fun with Seven. While the obligatory dialogue will leave you bored when replaying Seven at higher difficulties, it's still just basic fun. Can't say much for MoC, but I heard it's a remake of Ys IV with the gameplay of Seven.

Amn Nom

Learned
I'm seriously considering buying a PS Vita for Memories of Celceta. Plz send halp.
That's what I did. Don't regret it at all. Don't let the change of party mechanics turn you off, its still the same game at heart. Think of it like Ys meets Secret of Mana. Only thing I really disliked about it was the option of having potions. That is easily solved by simply not bringing them for bosses. Get the Borderlands 2 bundle, it comes with a memory card and saves you some money. Burn the game code because Borderlands 2 is shit, even more shit on the Vita.

The Vita also has a few other good games worth playing, most ports, but still enough to get the 200 hours I would use to justify the system cost. My recommendations would be Ys 4, Soul Sacrifice Delta, Danganronpa 1 & 2, Muramasa (definitive edition), and Demon Gaze if you can stand fan service in your dungeon crawlers (I sure as hell can't).

Did you own a PSP? That thing is a beast when it comes to great games and justifies the Vita in itself. You have Ys Seven, Brandish, Nayuta No KIseki (need a fan translation, supposed to be pretty good), Final Fantasy Tactics, Tactics Ogre, Jeanne D'arc, Growlanser Wayfarer of Time, the Sting games, Valkyria Chronicles 3 (need a fan translation), Type 0 (need a fan translation, supposed to be OK), and I guess Persona 3 if you are into shitty dungeon crawling waifus. Dig deeper and you can find some other real gems.

Crooked Bee

Patron

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I'm not really interested in being able to play PSP games on the Vita since I'm used to emulating them on PC by now.

I might buy it anyway though, especially if they confirm that the new SaGa game for the Vita is coming to the West too.

Also, apparently there is a new Ys game coming to the Vita sometime this year as well? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_Vita_games

EDIT: Found it: http://kotaku.com/a-new-3d-ys-game-will-be-released-next-year-in-japan-i-1629198346
Ah, Ys 8. It looks pretty interesting. Seems like they are making it fully 3D this time with an OTS perspective. Jumping will be back, but the party system is still there. I also saw some 3D platforming, so I'm wondering how that will turn out. The graphics in that trailer look too similar to MoC with the bloom 'n all, and it looks like the PS4 version is just getting Vita graphics.
also PC release when

Crooked Bee

Patron
also PC release when

Not until the PC release of Memories of Celceta, I'd guess.

EDIT: And Ys Seven.

Though I dunno, maybe they won't bother with these games and just do a PC release of 8. Who knows.

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
From Gematsu:

Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana will have two protagonists, the latest issue of Weekly Famitsu reveals.

Joining Adol as a protagonist is the mysterious blue-haired girl we’ve previously seen in the game’s key visual, whose name is now revealed as Dana. She appears in Adol’s dreams, and through those dreams, you’ll be able to experience Dana’s way of life. Her power and speed exceeds even that of the veteran hero Adol.

Dana’s story, which Adol will see in his dreams, will affect his very adventure itself. Also, Dana seems to recognize Adol, and Adol’s actions will considerably affect Dana’s story.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Sounds like a Zack/Cloud situation.

Not like it matters. I'm only really here for the gameplay and a few recurring characters.

Last edited:

Miner 2049er

Scholar
I'm late to the party as I have just "kinda" discovered the series. I once had Ark for the PS2, but wasn't in the right mindset. I couldn't beat the 2nd or 3rd boss and wasn't aware that just one or two more levels would make a big difference and directly sold the game (like a dumbfuck, I know).
Lately I have been in the mood for an ARPG and i somehow stumbled over the PC version of Ark. Needless to say, after finishing it, I've played Oath & Origin. Out of the 3, Origin has the most refined gameplay and bosses, but I still prefer the setting of Ark. Memories of Celceta and I+II (and Trails In The Sky FC+SC) are still waiting on my hd. I haven't bothered with 7, because playing it in english on a PC seems too much like a hassle. Am I wrong ?

Right now I'm on Xanadu Next, which is also very good. Falcom just nails it. When you click on a monster it's instant fun. It's something about its responsiveness or rebound. I don't know how to describe it better, I just call it the magic touch. Most ARPGs don't get it. Diablo 1+2 got it. Titan Quest not. I haven't touched D3, because I only play offline singleplayer games. So Falcom = king of ARPGs.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom