Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Ys series

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
13165.jpg

Oh my. This will take some getting used to.

I love how everyone teases Adol about his hair:

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Adol getting a pirate crew was probably explained in Ys V: Lost Kefin, Kingdom of Sand. AKA the one nobody played.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Lol, I was trying to kill this guy for about 5 minutes

but I didn't succeed so I assumed my attacks failed to damage him at all. Didn't notice the Enemy bar below at first, lol.

I did find it amusing how he was just standing there in one place while I was trying to kill him, though.

EDIT: Turns out I needed to buy a short sword first. :M

Last edited:

Duraframe300

Arcane

but I didn't succeed so I assumed my attacks failed to damage him at all. Didn't notice the Enemy bar below at first, lol.

I did find it amusing how he was just standing there in one place while I was trying to kill him, though.

Equipment (and a bit of grinding) is extremly important to win the fights. It makes the difference of not getting anywhere to having an easy time. IIRC try to attack enemies diagonally as much as possible.

Last boss's a bitch in any case though. It's why I still haven't tried/finished time attack. It's been a year so I might give it a go, still have to do a nightmare run as well.

Last edited:

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In

Equipment (and a bit of grinding) is extremly important to win the fights. It makes the difference of not getting anywhere to having an easy time. IIRC try to attack enemies diagonally as much as possible.

Last boss's a bitch in any case though. It's why I still haven't tried/finished time attack. It's been a year so I might give it a go, still have to do a nightmare run as well.

You can only damage enemies diagonally in Ys II.

Crooked Bee

Patron
So I got used to the controls and Ys I is actually pretty fun!

Unless I'm playing it wrong (tm), though, it really is a bit too grind-heavy. I could barely damage the first boss at lvl4, but going up to lvl5 and buying new armor and a new sword (had to grind for money for that) made him go down in, like, 2 hits. Still, running around hacking and slashing bumping into things is weirdly addictive in this game.

I also like what's shaping up to be a fair amount of secrets / side quests already. Two of which I've already missed according to the FAQ.
:negative:

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
So I got used to the controls and Ys I is actually pretty fun!

Unless I'm playing it wrong (tm), though, it really is a bit too grind-heavy. I could barely damage the first boss at lvl4, but going up to lvl5 and buying new armor and a new sword (had to grind for money for that) made him go down in, like, 2 hits. Still, running around hacking and slashing running into things is weirdly addictive in this game.

I also like what's shaping up to be a fair amount of secrets / side quests already. Two of which I've already missed according to the FAQ.
:negative:

Did you look into getting the free short sword and later the free talwar? You can also get the shopkeeper to sell for less. Although, that might be too late depending on how far you are.

Oh and as a heads up, you can get a free short sword in Ys II as well.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
The Ys I final boss is a 100% bullet hell compared to the PC Engine version, you'll mostly just be tanking his shots and hope you hit him at places where you won't lose too many tiles.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Turns out there is a bug with the PC version of Ys 1 which makes your HP deplete several times faster in that boss fight if you're playing the game in full screen.

So I switched the game to windowed 800x600 and beat him on my first try:

13182.jpg

Damn, such a waste (of time). :lol:

Last edited:

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
I don't even want to think of how many times I died on that fucking boss fight in my original PSP run and later on steam. The only saving grace of it is that it doesn't take long to kill him(or more likely than not,get killed).

Better move on up to Ys II now son(which is superior to I).

Crooked Bee

Patron
Oh my, you can give people gifts. How more Japanese can this game get?

Nice flavor dialogue and attention to detail though.

13191.jpg

13190.jpg

13186.jpg

13185.jpg

:lol: You only get this line if you give her food, but not if you give her flowers for example

13187.jpg

13188.jpg

13189.jpg

Archibald

Arcane
Agreed on that. Shapeshift adds another dimension to the game as far as "attention to details" goes.

Divinity: Original Sin
Turns
out there is a bug with the PC version of Ys 1 which makes your HP deplete several times faster in that boss fight if you're playing the game in full screen.

So I switched the game to windowed 800x600 and beat him on my first try:

13182.jpg

Damn, such a waste (of time). :lol:

Final boss requires that you exchange your equipment to silver:

66645-19.png

but I remember beating this game in this form:

EDIT:

damn, only now I saw you screenshot with the right equipment... In any case, I managed to beat the boss in 1920x1080p...

Last edited:

Crooked Bee

Patron
Eh, I dunno. Worked for me though :P Might've been a coincidence of course and I just got lucky this time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom