Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Ys series

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
http://nisamerica.com/blog/ys-viii-lacrimosa-dana-nintendo-switch

UPCOMING PATCH INFORMATION ON YS VIII: LACRIMOSA OF DANA FOR NINTENDO SWITCH

Thank you for your support and excitement for Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA for Nintendo Switch. We wanted to outline the schedule for the upcoming patches, which we previously had communicated were coming soon, to address known text refinements and other issues. Due to the worldwide release of Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA, optimization was the top priority during development, and continues to be our focus.

You can check back to this page anytime to see the current status on the following items below:

Patch v1.01
Short Description: Fixes include adjustment to Nintendo Switch auto-sleep function, incorrect icons displaying, and text refinements.
Current Status: Ready for Launch
Actual Live Date: June 26

Patch v1.02
Short Description: Addressing crash issues, some aesthetic issues, and text refinements.
Current Status: Testing Round 2
Expected Live Date: Launch week

Patch v1.03
Short Description: Text refinements.
Current Status: Testing Round 1
Expected Live Date: Week after launch

Patch v1.04
Short Description: Japanese Voice Implementation and aesthetic refinements during cutscenes.
Current Status: Testing Round 1
Expected Live Date: Mid July 2018

If you are unsure what the statuses mean, you can see the Status workflow written below:

• Planning
• Development
• Testing Round 1
• Testing Round 2
• Ready for Launch

We will continue to update this schedule as new information comes in, and intend to keep this information as clear as possible while we implement these planned patches. Thank you again for your support.

Shadenuat

Arcane
ravioli ravioli
dinosaurs and a forest loli

cool world building in ys8 is, island is pretty. they could have went further with Dana like adding time traveling puzzles or something though.

VO is good
translation, didn't notice anything terrible except strange bee quest
no crashes.

dragon that had both bleed and burn status attacks was :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
Ys 8: Trails of the Ys

ys8_2018-06-23_20-57-45-67.png

romance with mother of 6 included.

still I think it's one of the better games they made compared to--
idk, compared to.

One thing I miss is ability to craft swords with different types of damage (piercing/crushing). It helped when you wanted to have a particular party member.

also lol Dana being half-dinosaur and smallest of her kind, that's a new one when it comes to waifu material

I also like how they implemented more classic Ys form changes later in the game into it's own easter egg level.

Also I appreciate that I don't hate writing and characters. Like Ricotta. Usually anime children are either 1) all knowing wise sages 2) degenerate scantily clad super lolis from other dimensions 3) annoying brats.
Ricotta actually does not completely fall into any category; she acts more like an actual child by parroting adults and just being hyper active, even cries once. So closer to Pippi Longstocking than annoying.
Sahad is your basic anime big dude but when he talks about his fisherman life he's not terrible.
Hummel is your basic know him better softy.
Dana has rich backstory, but has no actual personality I think. She's just cute giggling waifu for now.
Laxia is just retarded.
Dudes and gals you spend time building your awesome base are all alright though. I'd rather take some of them in my party than main cast. Like the barbarian grandma.

The plot of the game is... long. And (as always) features an advanced ancient civilization and probably killing another god in the end. But the island is detailed and game makes you feel like it builds up to something so it's fun to press forward.

So on the scale of ClicheAnime to>>>Degenerate, I would rate this... moderately cliche anime, with below threatening levels of degenerate. A good distraction so far.

And if you gotta ask, I would rate some of Pillars of Eternity 2 characters as above threat level, already slightly disturbingly degenerate.

Bosses that require Dana to change forms to beat :incline:

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
Ys made me think about dis shit again https://www.neogaf.com/threads/is-i...-killing-god-why.789041/page-5#post-105409217

I was wondering if the running trope had a beginning. I think most popular games with a trope were created in 1990-1992. And then japanese, methodological as they are, were reforging same plot over and over because it worked. Together with obligatory sand and mechanical city levels.

But what truly began it, and what could predate it, I don't know.

One thing I do know however, is that judging by new games coming, it works as well as killing big ass dragon in wrpg.

In the beginning, Ys was an exception cause it just had an evil wizard. But eventually it fell into same mold, with it's bosses representing some ancient tradition because thou must etc.

One thing about ys 8 is how it feels like there is one designer dude who wanted stuff to be reasonable, but couldn't for the 30-50 hours requirement. This is felt through item upgrade path strongly.

You begin with Adol's old 3 gem sword from previous game which he then loses. On the beach he founds some junk rusty sword, then, in some caven he finds a shortsword. After you establish smithy, you can upgrade that sword and then reforge into a longsword. Then it's more or less same shit until you meet those super unique enemies and you need special ore to defeat them. You go to great lengths into awesome places to aquire it, and reforge your weapons into ancient weapons you seen in dreams and it's all awesome

and then you upgrade them 5 more times into weapons with names like durandal hyperion etc.

I guess it might be a nod to Cleria from original games just as your obligatory blue hared amnesiac maiden but come on game, you did so well for a while!

I think I can also say that it's one of the easiest Ys'es so far
1) once again you have party
2) bajillion items
3) only hardest difficulty somehow address farming and items

but it's all not as important as

4) many bosses are big things and often even big dudes in armor (dark souls, pls)
and
5) instead of "figuring out" the boss made of rolling balls of energy in flame around invisible pillar with sinking sand..... you probably can defeat any one of them simply by mashing dodge button. the Flashguard/Flashdodge are ultra powerful. Provided you "got" the correct timing and can repeat it on some of bosses attacks, you get MASSIVE opportunity window (even bigger with special item), invulnerability, etc. and kick the boss bad, as you run around in your personal bullet time bubble unharmed. And then there are items that give you things like massive Evade boosts which feel like cheating.

And the worst part is it doesn't matter where you roll. You can dodge right into enemy attack animation, but since you pressed button in the right time, you're great.

Mind you on nightmare they do hit like three times harder and inferno I don't even want to try it, and some bosses still turn battlefield into lazer show with a volcano erupting on top while strafing randomly under invisibility, but the system is there and since there is an obvious lack of "puzzle" bosses, if you are good at pressing rmb you will win this I think. Especially against enemies with 360 Spin For Win attacks TM and other attacks that seem to not follow a particular design or thought but you can just evade them by pressing evade, eh.

I guess for this one I would recommend Nightmare+ only and using Bottles only, or just trying to make yourself use only say 2 bottles per battle.

Previous games had bosses that were hard for me even on like normal/veteran+.

And don't get me started on DLC packages and all that shit. Fishing skill+ amulet is the only you are allowed to grab. And Adol original armor of course.

At the same time, it might also be one of the prettiest ones I played. Archeozoic chasm? wooooo
Lake inside giant mushroom? woo
The summit of a mountain with a look on whole island? ooooh
and it's all more or less in the same style, you know it's same island.

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
It's a funny bug (or rather, they just didn't think this through). The fish is then shown later and it's even bigger, can probably eat 3 lolis like this.

Finished the game. Got only 1 crash but cause I alt-tabbed, don't alt tab much. There were probably some minor glitches and some text issues but game is a straightforward jrpg so I didn't care.

God is not enough now for jrpgs, they went for
EVOLUTION
lulz

Good story parts:
- All that castaways and building base
- Some of Dana story made me very sad especially the last parts about her home

Bad story:
- LETS KILL EVOLUTION

They scrap the jrpg bad part and make villain of the game some political person trying to grab power/save face because/for/after
meteor fucks up everything
& give everyone normal looks and clothing and it would have been trails material

I mean, no wonder
Dana's people got extinct, they wear bikinis even when it's nuclear winter

I rate this :M:M:M:M out of 3 not final not secret not secret again not final secret bosses,
:M:M for some waifus including Cohen the Barbaran grandma and
:M extra for feels in some parts of the Story

Can't wait for next part where they kill
not god
not satan
not beginning of life
but
an end
of beginning
of all end
of all life
of death!

Best quote from the game about nature of JRPG writing:
- Well seems like we can destroy the whole world
- Oh shit
- Well, we can't stop now! THATS WHAT MAKES US HUMAN!

Last edited:

Archibald

Arcane
In the beginning, Ys was an exception cause it just had an evil wizard. But eventually it fell into same mold, with it's bosses representing some ancient tradition because thou must etc.

I don't know if it was an exception. First two Ys games kinda were one game split into two and thats why I think they are usually packed together now. In terms of overall structure Dark Fact feels more like a mid point boss (something that we would get on consoles, for example, at the end of Disc 1 if games had two CDs) than actual main antagonist. And from that point (maybe I'm blanking on something now) most of the bosses have been, in one way or another, godlike.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Evil mages were somewhat normal for that era, I remember Lunar having one as well. What's cool about them is they often had at least some backstory and acted as characters in the game. Fact mocking you because you didn't use correct weapons was the best.

hydTrGV.jpg

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
meh, sounds like 8 is suffering from the same core issues as Seven

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9301I met Tapatalk

Shadenuat

Arcane
I believe the consensus is that difficulty plummeted after Felghana and never recovered.
Still remember that fucking ice dragon.

But, at least in 8, the lead waifu
doesn't just die/vanish which leads to more bittersweet ending.

even if totally retarded.

GODDESS OF EVOLUTION!! man just a sound of that

God of Evolution

even if she doesn't wear a pretty dress.
ffs Ys, you had it right all the time, and now waifus wear some random mmo shit. they're sylvanas now or something? go away with your metal bikinis.

gimme back my pretty things.

latest

also Adol must wear armor.
and he should also shut up.

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It never ends... does it?

The info originally came from /r/NintendoSwitch but I found out about this thanks to the Falcom discord. Basically if download the DLC for the Switch version of Ys VIII before applying the day 1 patch, it results in the game instantly crashing upon startup. Until NISA fixes this issue please be sure to download the Day 1 patch before the DLC.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Meanwhile:

From XSEED's press release :lol::

PC fans, worry not; the PC version of Ys: Memories of Celceta will include a digital PDF version of ‘Adol’s Travel Journal’, which was originally included as part of the PlayStation®Vita Limited Edition. This journal provides details on adventuring strategies and is full of gorgeous artwork. The title has received numerous enhancements as well, including improved visuals with a wide range of HD resolutions, unlocked framerates, fully customizable control bindings, mouse support, and more to ensure that it feels right at home alongside XSEED’s other PC releases.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Celceta's a good game but it was painfully easy on normal, you get a shit ton of healing items (can get 99 of each) and the kicker was that i didn't even use healing items until the latter part of the game. I'll play it on hard on the PC version.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't hate Seven or Celceta, but I am dissatisfied with the turn the series took with them.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Dear lord whoever set the controls in Lacrimosa, what kind of weird spider person does this.

B button is jump is this a 2002 era PS2 game? Mapping the most important abilities to r1 and l1 instead of the triggers???

I'm playing through Ys Origins right now using an Xbox One gamepad.

Two minor things bugged me, first the inability to reconfigure inputs from the config tool and force feedback (rumble) not working.

Two helpful guides that fixed both issues for me:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/207350/discussions/0/1470841715960141077/
https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/541907867790900215/

Since most (if not all) of these Ys games share the same engine, I suppose these fixes also apply to the others. Hopefully they can help other people too.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom