Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Ys series

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Really? I played them in one sitting and I remember liking them both. On the other hand, precisely because I played them together, I don't even rightly remember how they differ.
Chief difference is that in Ys II you can diagonally "bump" enemies to attack them, and can do fireball attacks(dont' recall being able to do this in the first one). The level design is generally better, as are the boss fights(the final boss in II is MUCH better designed than I's).

Zurat-Yarkuch

Savant
So GOG has there back to school sale going on now and just bought all the Ys games they had on there for 70%.

Read good things about the series so can't wait to give it a whirl. Does GOG have all the games in the Ys series or are some still not available in the west?

pippin

So GOG has there back to school sale going on now and just bought all the Ys games they had on there for 70%.

Read good things about the series so can't wait to give it a whirl. Does GOG have all the games in the Ys series or are some still not available in the west?

More than not being available in the West, the problem with Ys is that many titles have been released on different systems. The series is as old as the major jrpg sagas.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
More than not being available in the West, the problem with Ys is that many titles have been released on different systems.
Well generally you'd be hard pressed to find someone willing to pay for Ys III instead of Oath of Felghana. The differences between these titles are way more prominent than say the Final Fantasy remakes. I haven't found many that prefer the older titles, but no doubt there are fans.

I'd say the fact that there isn't any way to play Celceta on PC is more of a problem. At least with the others, and Seven, you can emulate.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
More than not being available in the West, the problem with Ys is that many titles have been released on different systems.
Well generally you'd be hard pressed to find someone willing to pay for Ys III instead of Oath of Felghana. The differences between these titles are way more prominent than say the Final Fantasy remakes. I haven't found many that prefer the older titles, but no doubt there are fans.

I'd say the fact that there isn't any way to play Celceta on PC is more of a problem. At least with the others, and Seven, you can emulate.
There's a chinese PC version(much like with Seven).

Siveon

Bot
Whoops, knew that. I meant to say in English, thanks for clarifying.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2

Some are still not available. But all the supremely great ones are on GoG. Don't forget to play Felghana on Hard\Nightmare!

Zurat-Yarkuch

Savant
Been playing Ys 1 for a couple hours now on Nightmare difficulty. I must say I am quite impressed.

The bump combat system is the kind of thing that sounds crazy on paper but in practice it works really well. I remember playing a Legend of Zelda game on the Game Boy Color and combat in that amounted to holding your sword in the charge position and bumping into enemies. Sometimes you would have to switch to another item like a bomb or something to make them vulnerable, but it was mostly an easy charge and bump. The developers probably wanted to avoid this for their game, so they came up with the bumping into enemies slightly off center to attack.

The soundtrack in this game is absolutely fantastic. I just got to Zeptik village (or however you spell it) and the music made me start to tear up. And the music they play when you are outdoors and battling gets you so pumped up.

Right now I am fighting the first boss in the shrine and trying to beat this guy. Do bosses get additional attack patterns on Nightmare in Ys 1 or does that stuff only happen in later games in the series?

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Nightmare affects boss patterns only in later games.
I didn't enjoy nightmare in Ys 2\1, since being slightly off-center could get you killed in an instant and I hated that.

In any case, I'm glad to hear you're liking it man! Falcom really are wizards when it comes to OST, huh?

Last edited:

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yeah, I remember getting hooked on the combat in 1 already, although I was extremely skeptical at the start. It isn't supposed to work in theory, but somehow it does.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Hydlide/Super Hydlide has the same kind of combat. Simple old games, but might be worth a look, I had some fun with them.

Zurat-Yarkuch

Savant
Whelp, when I get to Ys 2 I am definitely not going to play that on Nightmare.

I still can't believe I beat the third boss (Bat guy) on Nightmare. It took me at least two hours to do it and I have to say luck had a huge part to play in that. I had to look up a video on youtube just to see that it was actually possible to do. Holy fuck.

After that I thought "There is no waay they could make a boss harder than this guy."

Then I got to the boss right before the last one (two demon heads of death). Whoever designed this boss can go to hell. I am still stuck on this guy and had to look up a video again to just to make sure it was actually possible to beat this guy. Fuuuuuck.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Whelp, when I get to Ys 2 I am definitely not going to play that on Nightmare.

I still can't believe I beat the third boss (Bat guy) on Nightmare. It took me at least two hours to do it and I have to say luck had a huge part to play in that. I had to look up a video on youtube just to see that it was actually possible to do. Holy fuck.

After that I thought "There is no waay they could make a boss harder than this guy."

Then I got to the boss right before the last one (two demon heads of death). Whoever designed this boss can go to hell. I am still stuck on this guy and had to look up a video again to just to make sure it was actually possible to beat this guy. Fuuuuuck.
Post your impressions of the final boss when you get to him.

Zurat-Yarkuch

Savant
I am in a state of euphoria right now.

After two long gruelling hours, that seriously had me considering throwing all my effort down the drain and restarting the game on a lower difficulty I actually managed to beat Dark Fact on Nightmare difficulty.

Even after seeing Vercsase's youtube video of him beating Dark Fact on nightmare I still couldn't believe it could be done and thought he must have cheated somehow.

One youtuber commented that beating this guy on nightmare is 80% luck and 20% skill. I would have to say 90% luck and 10% skill.

After beating the game I went into time attack to see how these bosses played on normal. When they designed these bosses they clearly had only normal difficulty in mind. Cause on nightmare RNG bullshit absolutely guarantees you will fail 99% of the time on Dark Fact.

Cause Dark Fact is pure bullshit on Nightmare.

Siveon

Bot
I keep saying that, but people just like to find out on their own. :roll:

Zurat-Yarkuch

Savant
Seriously, he takes away the arena as you hit him and you end up in a situation where you have more health then him, but it doesn't mean jack shit. You can't hit him anymore cause he took away all the spots you could hit him and then you are stuck just getting killed by his meteor bombs that have become impossible to dodge cause you literally have nowhere left to go.

I'm getting angry again just thinking about it.

So, on to Ys 2 and hard difficulty cause I'm not going through that horseshit again.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Well, you COULD somewhat mitigate the luck factor by only hitting him in the corners of the screen at the start - that way, the floors that disappear won't be in the middle of the arena and you won't get trapped as quickly.

But yeah it was tough.

Last edited:

Zurat-Yarkuch

Savant
That is what I ended up doing, but it is much easier said than done. Even doing that I still only had a tiny space left to move in which I was lucky enough to have him move toward to deliver the final blow.

I ended up shouting "No waaaay!" and "Fuck Yeah!" which probably confused my sister and mom as I have headphones on.

Zurat-Yarkuch

Savant
Also, fuck it, I'm doing Ys II on nightmare cause if I can beat that guy I can beat anything that Ys II throws at me.

Zurat-Yarkuch

Savant
So today I just finished blazing through Ys II on nightmare and I must say I am impressed.

I remember reading on the Ys wiki that 1 and 2 were originally meant to be one game, so I was kinda expecting Ys II to just feel like the second half of Ys I. But it honestly felt like its own game and I found it to be a huge improvement over Ys I.

The leveling system felt like a proper system unlike in Ys I were it felt tacked on at the last minute. After all in Ys I you reach max level after the third boss and the only way to improve your stats comes from getting items.

I enjoyed the addition of magic in this game and loved how it wasn't at all what I was expecting. After getting fire magic I assumed I would next ice, lighting, earth and that certain enemies/bosses would be weak against different elements. You know, the standard RPG stuff. Instead each type of magic served a specific purpose and can still remain useful even later on in the game. The alter magic really brings on the charm by allowing you to talk to every single monster and hearing there thoughts on Adol and his quest against them. It really adds so much character to the world and is loads of fun. Return Magic also provides a waypoint system that is necessary for the larger setting created for Ys II

When it comes to nightmare difficulty it is like night and day compared to Ys I. In Ys I bosses attack patterns didn't change but they were a lot faster and did more damage. In Ys II bosses on Nightmare tend to fire a lot more projectiles and probably do more damage too. I know this because time attack is normal difficulty and it was a breeze. I'm really glad I stuck with Nightmare cause on normal I would have been bored to tears. That's because in Ys II the bosses are waaaay easier than Ys I. Apparently a lot of japanese players felt the way I did and told the developers to not make any more cheap bastards like Dark Fact. It means I never spent the insane amounts of time on bosses like I did with Ys I, but at the same time on nightmare they present enough of a challenge to not be boring.

The thing about Ys I is that it really felt rushed and incomplete. Ys II however is a full game that stands on it's own. After playing it I can see why people love this series and am glad I purchased it.

The ending was a lot of fun too. I find it hilarious that Adol has both Lili and Feena, a freaking goddess, pining after him. I'm guessing Lily doesn't show up in future games. So Adol is basically the chaste hero who has loads of beautiful young women offering him the pussy but doesn't take it cause WANDERING ADVENTURER. The road is his mistress.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
So today I just finished blazing through Ys II on nightmare and I must say I am impressed.

I remember reading on the Ys wiki that 1 and 2 were originally meant to be one game, so I was kinda expecting Ys II to just feel like the second half of Ys I. But it honestly felt like its own game and I found it to be a huge improvement over Ys I.

The leveling system felt like a proper system unlike in Ys I were it felt tacked on at the last minute. After all in Ys I you reach max level after the third boss and the only way to improve your stats comes from getting items.

I enjoyed the addition of magic in this game and loved how it wasn't at all what I was expecting. After getting fire magic I assumed I would next ice, lighting, earth and that certain enemies/bosses would be weak against different elements. You know, the standard RPG stuff. Instead each type of magic served a specific purpose and can still remain useful even later on in the game. The alter magic really brings on the charm by allowing you to talk to every single monster and hearing there thoughts on Adol and his quest against them. It really adds so much character to the world and is loads of fun. Return Magic also provides a waypoint system that is necessary for the larger setting created for Ys II

When it comes to nightmare difficulty it is like night and day compared to Ys I. In Ys I bosses attack patterns didn't change but they were a lot faster and did more damage. In Ys II bosses on Nightmare tend to fire a lot more projectiles and probably do more damage too. I know this because time attack is normal difficulty and it was a breeze. I'm really glad I stuck with Nightmare cause on normal I would have been bored to tears. That's because in Ys II the bosses are waaaay easier than Ys I. Apparently a lot of japanese players felt the way I did and told the developers to not make any more cheap bastards like Dark Fact. It means I never spent the insane amounts of time on bosses like I did with Ys I, but at the same time on nightmare they present enough of a challenge to not be boring.

The thing about Ys I is that it really felt rushed and incomplete. Ys II however is a full game that stands on it's own. After playing it I can see why people love this series and am glad I purchased it.

The ending was a lot of fun too. I find it hilarious that Adol has both Lili and Feena, a freaking goddess, pining after him. I'm guessing Lily doesn't show up in future games. So Adol is basically the chaste hero who has loads of beautiful young women offering him the pussy but doesn't take it cause WANDERING ADVENTURER. The road is his mistress.
Did you by chance have Adol grope Feena for her measurements? There's even a chievo for it, which I proudly display in my steam profile.

Zurat-Yarkuch

Savant
I got it from GOG so no achievements.

But wow...that completely ruins my image of him as a chaste and pure hero.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
I got it from GOG so no achievements.

But wow...that completely ruins my image of him as a chaste and pure hero.
In Ys II there is an achievement for "measuring" a small boy:smug:

f99bff913f7b7f343e820a7df00d0237a2c02fc7.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom