Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

YouTube reviewers dying out and the market running out of steam?!

Ash

Arcane
One factor of likely many would be people moving away from scripted youtube gaming vids and into the next fad: twitch streaming. Which itself is following the Battle Retardoyale fad.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
In the last few years, I might have read or watched 5 reviews in total. But who needs them? Just watch some gameplay and decide if the game is to your liking. Then either pirate the game, or use the refund system to check out if it is any good.
It's an artform when someone does great reviews, man. They're entertaining as hell when done right. Of course, I don't get my opinion of the game from reviews, but I like seeing others' opinion.

Ross' Game Dungeon is some real grade-A stuff.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
In the last few years, I might have read or watched 5 reviews in total. But who needs them? Just watch some gameplay and decide if the game is to your liking. Then either pirate the game, or use the refund system to check out if it is any good.
It's an artform when someone does great reviews, man. They're entertaining as hell when done right. Of course, I don't get my opinion of the game from reviews, but I like seeing others' opinion.

This I can agree with. The very few times I watch a review is not because I need some help about a game's quality, but because they are entertaining.

Like Angry Joe.
Just kidding, he is garbage.

Machocruz

Arcane
I don't engage reviews much to begin, but I don't think I've ever watched a video review. Critique and analysis video after a game has been out for a while, but not a review. Only written reviews for whatever reason.

Tigranes

Arcane
Because videos (1) waste more of your time, and (2) have a higher 'insufferable reviewer persona' to 'actual content' ratio, of course.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I have noticed that there is a lot less youtubers focused on games and actually reviews. Most of that cockroach pile are focused on drama and what corporation what retarded statement had pushed out. I just looked for the nu tomb rider and found only two actual reviews,the acg one and ign. It seems to me that the whole hype generator is dying out.

Also i have the feeling that the game market is shrinking.....fast. From what i see people don't really care much about hype or AAA games as a whole,everyone have their niche and know what expects and what it wants. I am not saying that AAA are not making a profit or not selling well,just that it is shrinking. Last year for example we had quite a few high level "flops". Maybe i am mistaken and the market is going strong,and i just see it from a narrow angle. Can't say for certainty.

Please discuss.
No, it's mostly because Youtube is suppressing the smaller channels in favor of a small number of larger channels to do their bidding.

Beastro

Arcane
It's horrible indeed. The only way to even enjoy youtube now is to subscribe to channels you like, and ONLY EVER go to your personal subscription page. The front page is 100% garbage.

Wait people actually go to the front page? I've never gone to it except when I get logged out and it shoves it in my face before I can sign back in.

Last edited:

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron

I'm backing Mexi that a good review is practically an art form.
Another example that just came up to mind of someone who did kickass reviews and has since fallen hard into the livestream trap (though admittedly blaming social media and twitch might be exaggerating in this case):
the spoony one.
Series like his ultima retrospective or his final fantasy reviews are magnum opuses of the review genre.

And then you have those who do reviews with a certain sense of style like Sseth...

There's something you get out of watching these vids you simply can't get from watching a mofo play the game normally like i'm back in the mid 90s waiting my turn in line in the arcade and watching the other kids play and fail in front of me. I guess it's because you don't always watch a review because you want to play said game but for other reasons like learning about its history (the ultima series) as told from the perspective of a die hard fan, or hater (spoonys final fantasy series). Heck AVGN counts as a reviewer and I doubt most people watched his stuff because they were truly interested in playing old nintendo games.

Any muppet can record themselves playing a game, but producing an entertaining or informative review requires far more work and what the viewer gets out of it isn't the same.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Now to try and get to the market part. It seems that the latest AAA gem is flopping...hard. Steamspy is showing that it sold around 200-500 thousands copies. I doubt that it will cover even the expenses. Also it is from square penis,they whined that the first Tomb raider sold only around 9 million copies. The next week will be very telling about how well it sold.

Screenshot_2018_9_17_Shadow_of_the_Tomb_Raider_Steam_Charts.png

It seems that my feelz that the market is shrinking is accurate. It seems that people got bored by all the graphics and sparkles. Also there is the fact that many people get past the gaming age,and there is not much kids getting pumped up this days.

Mustawd

It seems that my feelz that the market is shrinking is accurate. It seems that people got bored by all the graphics and sparkles. Also there is the fact that many people get past the gaming age,and there is not much kids getting pumped up this days.

Lol. No.

Ivan

Arcane
I have noticed that there is a lot less youtubers focused on games and actually reviews. Most of that cockroach pile are focused on drama and what corporation what retarded statement had pushed out. I just looked for the nu tomb rider and found only two actual reviews,the acg one and ign. It seems to me that the whole hype generator is dying out.

Also i have the feeling that the game market is shrinking.....fast. From what i see people don't really care much about hype or AAA games as a whole,everyone have their niche and know what expects and what it wants. I am not saying that AAA are not making a profit or not selling well,just that it is shrinking. Last year for example we had quite a few high level "flops". Maybe i am mistaken and the market is going strong,and i just see it from a narrow angle. Can't say for certainty.

Please discuss.

You gotta know where to tune your attention. If you focus on the pop crap, you will decline.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom