Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

YouTube reviewers dying out and the market running out of steam?!

Tigranes

Arcane
"Guys, I have this feeling...."

That said, I suppose your feeling is better than mine, because I don't spend any of my time on game youtubers.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
You kinda said it yourself - trash is being taken out. Angry reviewers were also a phase that ended, now we seem to be in the "let me analyze video games for you and put my social studies degree to some use" phase. Latter simply exposes you far quicker if you're a hack. If you consider e-drama and people reading news for their readers a worthwhile category there's also which is being pushed to saturation.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
trash is being taken out
Everything on YT is trash,now more than ever. I have noticed that i watch only creepy channels like "night mind" and "sir spooks" ,and a bunch of political retards sucking their own dicks :negative:. At least the "The Iconoclast" is going down the road of militancy.

Sodafish

Arcane
Everything on YT is trash,now more than ever

Tell me about it, and nowhere is that clearer than on the front page. Every single video on it, without exception, is always mindless shit. If you ever catch yourself thinking that maybe the general public isn't all that bad, just remember: THOSE videos are what they are watching, all day every day.

newtmonkey

Arcane
It's horrible indeed. The only way to even enjoy youtube now is to subscribe to channels you like, and ONLY EVER go to your personal subscription page. The front page is 100% garbage.

Sadly, you cannot even rely on youtube suggesting videos. I subscribe mostly only to PC gaming and hardware-related channels, and yet my recommendations are 95% grown men in backwards baseball caps going on and on and on about their fixation on Nintendo games.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I like watching good youtube content on games, mostly deeper game analysis and in-depth discussion of gameplay mechanics and story. Which few channels do because it's a lot of work to create such content and doesn't attract as many views as a bunch of easier-to-make and also easier-to-watch-and-digest videos where the youtuber just talks about new gaming trends.

Gaming youtubers I like watching are GamingHD, Pushing up Roses, Ross' Game Dungeon for decent game reviews (but they all mostly focus on older stuff), and for fun stuff I like watching Sseth and Jolly Wanker. Also I regularly watch Icarus Lives for Doom mod showcases.

There are plenty of decent gaming-related youtubers out there, but they tend to focus on older games or on mods because they make for better content than the new shit.

Repressed Homosexual
Think about it, why would they take the time and effort to make a review when you can make a reply drama video that will generate more clicks?

With YouTube, you really have to learn to only view CONTENT, and to ignore reply drama ANYTHING.

These people are not righting any injustice. They just want to ingratiate themselves with people that have nothing to do with them. For THE MONEY. THAT'S IT.

All the people who made videos about how "scandalized" of Logan Paul's suicide video were even worse and more pathetic than Logan Paul himself.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Everything on YT is trash,now more than ever

Tell me about it, and nowhere is that clearer than on the front page. Every single video on it, without exception, is always mindless shit. If you ever catch yourself thinking that maybe the general public isn't all that bad, just remember: THOSE videos are what they are watching, all day every day.
It's horrible indeed. The only way to even enjoy youtube now is to subscribe to channels you like, and ONLY EVER go to your personal subscription page. The front page is 100% garbage.

Sadly, you cannot even rely on youtube suggesting videos. I subscribe mostly only to PC gaming and hardware-related channels, and yet my recommendations are 95% grown men in backwards baseball caps going on and on and on about their fixation on Nintendo games.
I never used the front page,have no idea what is on it. I only use subscription page and look if anyone has put a new video. I search it when i want to see something retarded and nu....like "starwars sjw sucks flop".

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
Why spend many hours fully playing a game, then more hours dissecting it and come up with a decent script, when you can just look up a dramatic headline or copy paste twitter drama and just repeat what is being said for 100k+ views?
Heck I've been considering giving it a go myself, just seems like such easy money but the window to take advantage of it will have to close some time.

Sad part is I'd probably still be more "successful" (i've come to see success as a very relative concept, your average twitter drama queen probably makes more in a month then i do through ebegging yet i don't envy their existence one bit) then people like Sseth or ggman even though you can tell those folks put in serious hours in even their shortest vids and actually use their brains to form original thoughts instead of just being patronizing fucks pandering to their audience (yes i hate sjws and their ilk, but do i really need to keep getting recommendations of channels like that asian mofo whose name i forget, yong something, who just recycles the latest anti sjw article ad nauseam).

I also blame the advent of services like twitch being a better revenue stream then more exhaustive reviews. Gaming channels like angryjoe (doesn't matter if you hate the guy, using him as clear example of a dude who got big for his reviews) and even non gaming stuff like say..teamfourstar (tldr for those who don't know them: they got famous for their abridged series of dragon ball z) all went down the twitch rabbit hole with an obvious effect on their output. And can't even get mad at them for it when I see how many people throw them cash on their twitch, it's just insane.

Oracsbox

Youtubers don't review because they dare not give an opinion in case it proves wrong to the tube hivemind.
It doesn't help every arsehole has to post a video which examines every other opinion another youtuber has.
Most shill for free stuff and pay from the game companies so can't do a negative review so don't even bother with reviewing at all.
On a side note why do so many youtubers have incredibly annoying voices ?

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Heck I've been considering giving it a go myself, just seems like such easy money but the window to take advantage of it will have to close some time.

I think you just have to be not as blatant unlike some truly special people out there like Downward Thrust, Cleanprincegaming, etc I wouldn't even know about had there not been for continual shitstorms about them just raiding Reddit/4Chan for popular opinions to turn into videos, and going so far as not even bother playing games they're covering and supposedly giving in-depth opinions about. Only channels worse than those are regurgitators who merely read aloud news they find online.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I'm growing up and older. It's getting harder to justify to myself playing video games in itself ; so why should I watch youtube videos of people playing games when I can hardly find the time to play, myself ? This is pointless.

And most of it is hardly informative and is just compilation of things you already know ; nothing beats a good article for both content and speed.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Gaming pastime channel is pretty good for mod reviews, the guy plays a ton of stuff with mods, got to know a bunch of mods from his channel, he is pretty much popamole but his video on Arcane Dimensions for Quake 1 is pretty good for example. It is a good channel to get an overview of mods for a bunch of games.

Joseph Anderson is another good channel, his reviews arent a waste of time like most youtubers reviews are, while popamoler, the guy can offer actually useful critique that isnt the typical youtube click baity content less drivel.

Those are the two channels that I really pay attention and of course uncle Sseth for the lulz.0

DeepOcean

Arcane
Gggaming is pretty good for FPS games, while the guy is such a FPS fanatic that the game must pretty shitty for him to not like but is a pretty good channel to get an overview of FPS games.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Youtube reviewers are not dying out because of a lack in games but because its been becoming increasingly hard for them to make a buck. Its a lot of work to put videos out even when it doesnt look like it and they now have trouble with more frequent demonetization, copyright strikes and the adpocalypse and shit like that. Basically you either grow into someone really big or you gotty stay small and just see it just as a hobby but the mid-tier double-A youtubers ask themselves if the work is worth the trouble and usually it doesn't seem to be.

Lord Romulus

Arcane
Everybody's just shifting to Twitch streaming now since it's even less effort content, you don't even need to write a script or get basic facts right. The amount of time spent making content when streaming is almost as much as the length of the content itself.

Zer0wing

Cipher
Gggaming is pretty good for FPS games, while the guy is such a FPS fanatic that the game must pretty shitty for him to not like but is a pretty good channel to get an overview of FPS games.
If only he wasn't so easily triggered burgerlander...

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
In the last few years, I might have read or watched 5 reviews in total. But who needs them? Just watch some gameplay and decide if the game is to your liking. Then either pirate the game, or use the refund system to check out if it is any good.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
meanwhile Spiderman game has been blowing up like crazy and my youtube landing page has like 5 different let's players shilling it every time i hit refresh.
Click on the three dots in the corner of the video and select 'not interested.'

Rodcocker

Arbiter
Yeah, post-adpocalypse YouTube is now a clickbait feeding frenzy and shillfest (well, more than it previously was).

Recently I've seen Battlefield 5 opinion videos post SJW trailer disaster where they introduce the video as sponsored by EA. Er what? A sponsored 'opinion' video where, guess what, they say the game has some problems but still has GREAT POTENTIAL.

Marvel vids are about the latest made-up fan theories, total bollocks but, hey, it gets clicks. Star Wars is a constant daily SJW drama fest and more made-up clickbait fan theories. Video gaming is surely the most trite, as extremely autistic talking heads spend 15 minutes describing the latest drama event in extreme detail and then proceed to say absolutely nothing new about it and go with the already established mass opinion. I swear 90% of reviewers seem to keep their power dry, wait until the first set of reviews are released, then simply come out with their own review saying exactly what has already been said. The sheer lack of original thinking and talent of some of these popular YouTubers is really quite depressing.

I listened to too much of this shit while writing up my dissertation - never again.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Dunno, this thread prove that there is still good stuff coming out. My recent discovery - Civvie11 for FPS titles and sometimes other matters (third person garbage and movies).
Don't know why people complain with "he deserve way more views and subs and not PDP or other sellout" thing, it was never ment to be ultrapopular stuff with tons of views.

Remember - video must be at least 10min long or we don't pay your peanuts.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Yeah, post-adpocalypse YouTube is now a clickbait feeding frenzy and shillfest (well, more than it previously was).

Recently I've seen Battlefield 5 opinion videos post SJW trailer disaster where they introduce the video as sponsored by EA. Er what? A sponsored 'opinion' video where, guess what, they say the game has some problems but still has GREAT POTENTIAL.

Marvel vids are about the latest made-up fan theories, total bollocks but, hey, it gets clicks. Star Wars is a constant daily SJW drama fest and more made-up clickbait fan theories. Video gaming is surely the most trite, as extremely autistic talking heads spend 15 minutes describing the latest drama event in extreme detail and then proceed to say absolutely nothing new about it and go with the already established mass opinion. I swear 90% of reviewers seem to keep their power dry, wait until the first set of reviews are released, then simply come out with their own review saying exactly what has already been said. The sheer lack of original thinking and talent of some of these popular YouTubers is really quite depressing.

I listened to too much of this shit while writing up my dissertation - never again.

In very old youtube there wasn't the fucked up search results.

One of the most important changes to youtube happened quite a few years back. What happened was that search changed from 'providing the results you asked for' to 'providing the results we think you want'. This change went largely un-noticed because most people only watch the people they always watch & because the popular youtubers still appeared in search results. However, small channels no longer get search results at all. Take the above linked video, for example: When it was uploaded in 2010 it was the 1st or 2nd result for the specific search criteria of "A Symphony of Youtubers", & it could be found via derivation, such as "symphony of Youtubers" or "simphinoy of Youtubers". Now you have to type in the exact wording and it's still not guaranteed to show up, I just searched again and it hasn't even come up the second time, the first five results are:

"When Youtubers Go Live"
"YouTube Symphony Orchestra 2011 Grande Finale"
"Clean Bandit - Symphony Feat. Zara Larsson"
"YouTube Rewind: The Shape of 2017"
"Despacito 2 (parody video)"

Like... what?

YouTube is constantly fiddling with what people get to find in search results & has been for quite a few years now. There's nothing worse than being a creator & putting in lots of effort only to discover your video is literally invisible anyway, even if people type in the exact title.

Edit: third time searching the exact phrase & it appeared 27th.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom