Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

YouTube reviewers dying out and the market running out of steam?!

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I have noticed that there is a lot less youtubers focused on games and actually reviews. Most of that cockroach pile are focused on drama and what corporation what retarded statement had pushed out. I just looked for the nu tomb rider and found only two actual reviews,the acg one and ign. It seems to me that the whole hype generator is dying out.

Also i have the feeling that the game market is shrinking.....fast. From what i see people don't really care much about hype or AAA games as a whole,everyone have their niche and know what expects and what it wants. I am not saying that AAA are not making a profit or not selling well,just that it is shrinking. Last year for example we had quite a few high level "flops". Maybe i am mistaken and the market is going strong,and i just see it from a narrow angle. Can't say for certainty.

Please discuss.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
meanwhile Spiderman game has been blowing up like crazy and my youtube landing page has like 5 different let's players shilling it every time i hit refresh.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I don't pay that much attention to what's going on in YouTube land, but even I have noticed that there's less actual reviews and more armchair commentating going on. I blame the current wave of SJWs politicizing everything.

Also, cooking up a proper game review video is much harder than just ranting into a microphone while trying to look civil.

Machocruz

Arcane
I don't think much has changed in the market. As it's always been, the vast majority of people who own game hardware, don't care about the vast majority of games, AAA or otherwise. Only life in the forums fish bowl and media shouting make it seem otherwise. A game can sell 10 million and that's not even a 1/10 of the people who own the hardware. That's not even counting PC Yet we consider that to be a mainstream success. Not even. So maybe this truth has become more visible to y. ou lately.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I don't think much has changed in the market. As it's always been, the vast majority of people who own game hardware, don't care about the vast majority of games, AAA or otherwise. Only life in the forums fish bowl and media shouting make it seem otherwise. A game can sell 10 million and that's not even a 1/10 of the people who own the hardware. That's not even counting PC Yet we consider that to be a mainstream success. Not even. So maybe this truth has become more visible to y. ou lately.
Hahahaha nah,that i was knew from a long time. I was talking that the market is actually shrinking and not that not many people that have pc don't care about games. Maybe during the era of totalbiscuid was unnatural spike in hype and consumer energy.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Half the world's gamers are playing Fortnite at the moment and don't have time for other games. Things will return to normal once the Battle Royale fad blows over. Until the next fad at least.

Machocruz

Arcane
Damn Fortnite has drawn over 100 million players. If you want to see what mainstream entertainment looks like, that's it. That's Marvel movie numbers.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
With every fad there is a few million people staying with it. CS,WoW,LoL all of them have quite the amount of retarded fans still playing it. This is a good example of game addiction. Maybe the only fad that died out is the zombie survival shit. Also i must add that most of Fortnite are not gamers and don't buy many other games.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I read about those numbers for Fortnite and for PUBG (pre-Fortnite). That shit is unbelievable.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I think reviews are more difficult because you actually have to play the damn game. Doing shitty news about the game is a lot easier since someone already did the heavy lifting for you via the article. Does seem like YouTube is changing, though. I used to get blasted with reviews. Now, I'm getting blasted with drama over CleanPrinceGaming and MundaneMatt. I didn't even know either of these fuckers until I gave in and clicked one of the videos.

Plisken

Learned
I hope so.

Its the exact same thing that has happened with movie criticism. When the bar for participation was lowered, the quality of critique went down the drain. Now you have millions of morons chucking their 2 cents in which doesnt amount to more than "i really love this game!!" or "omg its shit its so shit". Wow thanks, you really needed to waste 10 hours of your life making that video and 20 minutes of mine listening to that garbage only to come away still in the dark about xyz game.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Youtube changed the algorithm, some youtubers are claiming that any content related with the risk of having copyright material in it is shadowbanned on youtube. If you search for the particular youtuber, you will find all his videos, but if it is gaming related material related with copyright risk , you will never see it on youtube most popular videos list and on youtube front page unless you subscribed to the particular channel. Many youtubers are changing from lets plays and reviews to gaming news and drama because youtube is much more lenient towards that and accordingly to them, they have a much bigger reach because those videos aren't shadowbanned.

It could be conspiracy theory but I wouldn't be surprised if youtube is trying hard to reduce the reach of content that can get them into trouble and content with political views they don't like.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom