Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Your personal top ten

10 of my favourite games of all time, in no particular order:

- Dota 2
- Thief
- Doom (the original)
- Heroes of Might and Magic 3
- Might and Magic: World of Xeen
- Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup
- Ultima Underworld
- Warcraft 3
- Dark Souls
- Black Tiger (old arcade game)

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
I am afraid I did not play the Codex top 5 in my formative years so I don't really have those magic memories of them - yet.

Larn. Spent a lot of time playing this one when I was supposed to be learning stuff. I learned about Rogue games and I love them. Random, random, random. New game every time. Love it.

larn_evil.gif

BT1. Not the crappy PC version. I played with nice colors. The graphics for each monster still ingrained in my memory. Love the sound of the healing temples. Played it again recently. Still magnificent, efficient Blob.

bards_tale_screenshot_560.jpg

Dungeon Master. I upgraded to play this game. Unsurpassed in its perfection.

Dungeon%20Master_2.png

Morrowind. Like nothing else ever seen. Exploration was fantastic. Really interesting story line. Levitation. Where are those damn dwarves?

morrowind-screenshot-2.jpg

Ultima IV. I want to be the avatar as I embody all the virtues, one day. Unique game where you don't kill everything.

Ultima_IV_Avatar_1.png

System Shock 2. I LOVE IT SO MUCH. Monkeys. Crazy zombie creatures. Mid wives. Stories. SHODAN. Back story.

Systemshock2_ingame_final.jpg

Ultima Underworld. Poke Doom retards in the eye. This game was 10,000 better. Great story, exploration, puzzles.

e3fb98c9d099f0c20463cefbddb0285e-650-80.jpg

Football Manager 2013

Football-Manager-2013-Tactics_thumb.jpg

Freelancer + Crossfire. Was member of online community for a while. Even met one guy in real life.

CrossfiremapSirius.jpg

Skyrim. Let me do what I want. Chop some wood. Pick some flowers. Kill a dragon. Become a werewolf. Join 15 opposing groups at the same time?

this-is-the-world-of-skyrim-as-it-originally-appeared-back-in-2011-not-bad.jpg

laclongquan

Arcane
"Skyrim. Let me do what I want. Chop some wood. Pick some flowers. Kill a dragon. Become a werewolf. Join 15 opposing groups at the same time? "

That's good because sometimes we just want to say fuck inner game consistency and balance and bugs and shits. XP loot for the win!

Maybe, just maybe one of these days I just install this Skyrim and see for myself. Although the penchance of running female nekkid across the snowland may fuck my inner game logic quite a lot.

Rule: one franchise one geam.

1. Street Fighter 2
2. Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3
3. Punisher
4. SM3: Nocturne
5. Quake 2: The Reckoning
6. Civization 2
7. Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines
8. Shadow of the Comet
9. Doom 2
10. Dark Colony

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
Top ten's too hard.:S Too many.

Here's a top 3:
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
Dark Souls
Uncharted 2

After that, there's like 50, maybe even a hundred games that could be in the 4-10.

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
1. Thief: The Dark Project/Gold
2. Quake
3. S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl
4. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (+ expansions) (sue me)
5. Unreal
6. Thief 2: The Metal Age
7. Alien: Isolation
8. Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss
9. System Shock
10. Gothic 2: Night of the Raven

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
Quite a few System Shock 1 in this list. I bought it when it came out but I don't think my brain or even the gaming public was ready for it.

Well, well ahead of its time. I would guess then the Codex needs and Old Codgers section - these guys must be around 50.

No offense!

I grabbed the System Shock enhanced version recently and it's down high on my list to play. This time, I hope, my brain can handle its innovation.

You old codgers are great!

Going the stuck on a desert island route, so replayability is a big factor and no fully online games like Eve. In no particular order:

Metal Gear Solid 3

Civilization IV

Deus Ex

Morrowind

XCOM: Apocalypse

Wing Commander Privateer (really the only game on this list that feels dated)

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Dumb rule: 1 franchise only, and 1-2 per genre.

1. Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance or Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions
2. Age of Wonders
3. Betrayal at Krondor or Geneforge
4. Terraria or Soul Sacrifice: Delta
5. Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
6. Star Wars: Dark Forces 2 or Quake 1
7. The Secret of Monkey Island
8. Super Smash Bros. Melee
9. Yoshi's Island or Shovel Knight
10. Streets of Rage 2 or Metal Slug X

Lists like these just make me appreciate what I've played and haven't played. That way I can look forward to playing good games, and look back on the games that I enjoy.

index.php

Arcane
1. Lemmings
2. Super Mario Bros. 3
3. RollerCoaster Tycoon
4. Creatures
5. Doom
6. The Settlers II
7. Caesar III
8. Desperados: Wanted Dead or Alive
9. Worms: Armageddon
10. Little Big Adventure 2

HansDampf

Arcane
Lists are stupid. I would give a different answer every week, depending on my mood. But I can name 3 PC games and 3 console games (because you asked for it) that will always be high up.

PC:
VtMB - Should I ever decide to quit gaming altogether, I would play this one more time as a farewell, and then rethink my decision.
Deus Ex - See above.
Jagged Alliance 2 - Every couple of years I get this itch to take out the trash.

Console:
Metroid Prime - It's the only console FPS I can play without getting a brain aneurysm. It may also be the best transition from 2D to 3D I've seen.
Ikaruga - I once spent months grinding highscores for no reason.
Majora's Mask - The most unique Zelda game with the best dungeons in the series. It's all downhill from here.

MachineCommander

Educated
No particular order, these are the ones I go back to playing the most.

- Command and Conquer: Tiberian Dawn
- Myth: The Fallen Lords
- Doom 2
- Underrail
- Age of Decadence
- StarCraft: Brood War
- Postal 2
- X-Com: Terror from the Deep
- Homeworld
- Mirror's Edge

oneliner

Educated
Dota 2
Wasteland 2
ROTK 11
Football Manager (all versions)
MOO2
HOI 3
New Vegas
Neverwinter Nights 2
Warcraft 3
Starcraft:BW

MilesBeyond

Cipher
"Skyrim. Let me do what I want. Chop some wood. Pick some flowers. Kill a dragon. Become a werewolf. Join 15 opposing groups at the same time? "

That's good because sometimes we just want to say fuck inner game consistency and balance and bugs and shits. XP loot for the win!

Maybe, just maybe one of these days I just install this Skyrim and see for myself. Although the penchance of running female nekkid across the snowland may fuck my inner game logic quite a lot.

Skyrim is the type of game where the enjoyment you get from it depends on your inner filter. It's not much of an Elder Scrolls game, and even less of an RPG overall, but if you can forget those things exist and play it as Landlocked Viking Life Simulator 2011, it can be fun.

I think the Faldurs Gate Scape lot have perished under the new incline.

Nah. Like I said in the OP, I banned those games because they're so obviously great that there's really no point in including them. I mean all those games easily crack my top ten and most of them my top five, and I imagine a large chunk of the Codex are going to be similar. And reading the same list over and over again is boring. Plus I'm guessing that including them is mostly just going to draw iconoclasts who take other peoples' lists as an opportunity to wank on about how one or another of them is shit, because that's a totally edgy and unheard of opinion on the Codex.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Here is mine.
-X-com: UFO Defense
-Star Control 2
-Pirates!
-Myth 2: Soulblighter
-Close Combat 2: A Bridge too Far
-Steel Panthers 2
-Ultima V
-Chaos Engine
-Sid Meier's Colonization
-Freelancer

Cropped out various Black Isle titles, Arcanum, ADOM, Paradroid, Original Space Hulk and Jagged Alliance 2.
Some franchises mentioned have better games in them, but I mentioned those that I played first.

e. Also Interstate 76/Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries and Crimson Skies are high on my top lists.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom