Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Redacted

What is your favourite faction in the Geneforge series?

• The Awakened

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • The Barzites

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • The Obeyers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Rebels

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • The Shapers (pragmatic)

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • The Shapers (radical)

• The Shapers (reactionary)

• The Shapers (traditional)

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • The Takers

• The Trakovites (militant)

• The Trakovites (non-violent)

• The Sholai

• Total voters

TOME

Cuckmaster General
I would have to say G2. G1 gets kind of boring toward the end, but if you get interested in the series then it is worth playing. But other than that, I would play them in order.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
I'm pretty sure that all of the games except for G5 have consequences for too much cannister use (In G5 you can use all the canisters you want because of stuff in your character's past that I won't spoil). But apart from it changing what ending you get (you usually get a canister junky specific ending if you use too many--although rebels generally don't frown on cannister use, so it might depend on your faction too), I'm pretty sure each game has one or two sequences were your character will flip out and start attacking random people if you've used too many canisters. The random attacks aren't really a problem, though, so if you don't care about what ending you get, then there really aren't alot of reasons to not be a canister junky.

I actually just finished a playthrough of this entire series and if I remember correctly my alignment was:

G1-Awakened (they really are the most rational ones. The takers are basically terrorists and the shapers in G1 and G2 are basically written as straight up villains. Shapers don't start to get "grey" until G3)

G2-Awakened again (again, shapers are more or less villains in G2)

G3-This one's hard because there are only two factions and they are both batshit insane. Plus, you can't stay neutral. People usually say that G3 is the worst in the series because of this, but personally I think G3 is when the series gets interesting precisely because it makes you choose between two undesirable options--so you really end up weighing the options. I ended up going rebel, though, because I just tend to side with serviles more and the rebels were more pro-servile.

G4-Trakovite. Playing trakovite is fun in G4 because it's not really a "faction" in the same way that Shapers/rebels are, so you have to "pretend" to be either a rebel or shaper right up to the end--at which point you have to reveal your true colors. Which is fun because playing the factions off of eachother is endlessly entertaining (The political dimension of gameplay becomes much more important in G4 and G5, which is what makes them the best of the series I think).

G5-I think I sided with Astoria, who is the "moderate rebel" faction (even though she's technically a shaper). I would have sided with the trakovites again, but in G5 they kind of become a crazy terrorist organization. Which probably makes them more fun to play, even if they aren't wholly morally defensible (their quest-line is maybe the most interesting of all the factions as you basically get to fuck with everyone).

Dayyālu

Arcane
If one were planning to try the Geneforge series, which one is the best one to start on?

The best 'game' of the Geneforge series is Geneforge 5 , with a lot of improvements and a nice/open structure.
If you have time and patience, start from the beginning (Sucia Island in G1 is great for understanding the basics of Geneforge). Simply remember that the series shine not in writing (barely average, with sometimes good points and characters) or gameplay (average), but in free choice (you can side with almost everyone, depending on your own preferences).
Geneforge 3 is the weakest, not bad, but the 'island' structure experiment made by Vogel did not work out so well.

Which is fun because playing the factions off of eachother is endlessly entertaining (The political dimension of gameplay becomes much more important in G4 and G5, which is what makes them the best of the series I think).

YES! Even playing as a Shaper Agent made that entertaining. The swamps of Monarch were the zenith of this in G4, in my humble opinion. Giving the rebels some stuff while mantaining good relationships with the shapers, all to get a 'balance' of trust letting you continue your job.

Thanks for the ref. Yer right.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom