Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Your favourite cRPGs with no party?

Shape

Educated
I find myself always not enjoying managing multiple inventories/skill-trees etc.. I was wondering what are some of the best cRPGs that involve only single character management?

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
If you like the isometric style rather than the over-the-shoulder or first person style then I'd recommend Divine Divinity.

Shape

Educated
If you like the isometric style rather than the over-the-shoulder or first person style then I'd recommend Divine Divinity.

I've been thinking about that game for a while.. How badly has it aged? It looks very diablo 2 esque but from what I've heard the writing is in the exact same style as in d:os ?

Tigranes

Arcane
Y

I've been thinking about that game for a while.. How badly has it aged? It looks very diablo 2 esque but from what I've heard the writing is in the exact same style as in d:os ?

Dos looks a lot more diabloy in screenshots than in reality. Writing is same as other larian games - good if you find it funny, personally id say very campy b-grade cheese. The real strength of DD is in exploring, getting unusual quests, the weird charm of various towns and npcs.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Rogue, Nethack, The Faery Tale Adventure, Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss, TES II: Daggerfall, Fallout, TES III: Morrowind, Age of Decadence

Gepeu

Savant
Patron
It's a great game and one of my favorites of all time, but is it one of the kind, really. Closer to 3rd person slashers of 99/20 (like Rune, holy fuck I loved that game), in my opinion. At least that's a vibe I used to get while playing the first Gothic games.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Underrail

Single character turn-based combat with lots of options and an okay stealth mechanic, with level design that reminds me of Deus Ex.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Divinity - Original Sin classic Lone Wolf Edition
Inquisitor and his inspiration - Divine Divinity

And like people mentioned before - Ultima Underworld. Played for the first time in 2012 it was refreshing experience.

Shape

Educated
Divinity - Original Sin classic Lone Wolf Edition
Inquisitor and his inspiration - Divine Divinity

And like people mentioned before - Ultima Underworld. Played for the first time in 2012 it was refreshing experience.

Thanks for the recommendations. I was wondering is Ultima Underworld a good first Ultima experience? I have never played any of the Ultima games, and judging by the look of the game it looked like a generic mix of M&M and Daggerfall to me.. Now that I had a look at some gameplay videos I assume its biggest selling point is the exploration?

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Thanks for the recommendations. I was wondering is Ultima Underworld a good first Ultima experience? I have never played any of the Ultima games, and judging by the look of the game it looked like a generic mix of M&M and Daggerfall to me.. Now that I had a look at some gameplay videos I assume its biggest selling point is the exploration?
Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss has only tenuous connections to the Ultima series. It was created by Blue Sky Productions (which quickly became Looking Glass Studios) using an entirely different style of gaming, one based on the "real-time blobber" Dungeon Master subgenre but with 3D graphics and a single character in place of a party. As with the real-time blobber subgenre, the focus is on exploration, with some puzzle-solving and logistics. Combat is relatively weak, and there isn't much of a story.

If you want to play a true Ultima game, the places to start would be Ultima III: Exodus, Ultima IV: The Quest of the Avatar, and Ultima VII: The Black Gate. The Stygian Abyss is better than any of the Ultima games, though. :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom