Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

You Will Never Beat a Korean SC Player. Ever.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I average above 120 APM on Heroes of Newerth but that's a single-unit 'strategy' game. Well, often less than 120 though because it's not often I play seriously.

In SCII? Probably around 80-90 because I don't even know all the hotkeys yet :D

chzr

Scholar
apm doesn't mean enything except micro heavy situations :<

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Yeah. Looking at that screen, it seems they're just showing off for the cameras. In reality they build stuff clicking the mouse and shit. And they only build one base.

Der_Unbekannte

Educated
Saw nothing that amazing. But couldn't be bothered watching the whole video since all this "OH MAN I'M A GAMER WITH AN HONOURCODE" kinda sucks.

Still: All about training. As soon as you don't think about what you are doing, you can achiev some crazy speed.

Would I ever beat one of them? No never. Do I care? No never.

Whats with all this progamer obsession. I never heard someone tell a football playing kid "R00FLES! RONALDO CAN SHOOT WITH LIGHTSPEED! U WILL NEVAR BE AS GOOD!".

obediah

Erudite
Awor Szurkrarz said:
What the fuck is the deal with Asians and their perfectionism?

Fucking other races, always doing too much or too little of something. Burn the bastards out!

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
I'm more interested in learning how and why they do it. Perfectionism can be useful. Sometimes.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
I don't understand people who can practice one thing for 10 hours a day. Or 2 hours a day while we're at it.
How do they do that?

Kraszu

Prophet
chzr said:
apm doesn't mean enything except micro heavy situations :<

No macro requires allot of apm, that is actually main reason why you don't need as much apm for SC2. In SC you have to multitask so there are almost alweys new actions that you would benefit from, even the best player have to decide if they will focus more on the battle or on they production/making expansion, they must also predict how the battle will play out, and often switch screen to they base when they think that it is worth it even in the middle of it. That is mainly why better players were crying over streamlining the macro (selecting multiple buildings with one key).

chzr

Scholar
Kraszu said:
No macro requires allot of apm, that is actually main reason why you don't need as much apm for SC2. In SC you have to multitask so there are almost alweys new actions that you would benefit from, even the best player have to decide if they will focus more on the battle or on they production/making expansion, they must also predict how the battle will play out, and often switch screen to they base when they think that it is worth it even in the middle of it. That is mainly why better players were crying over streamlining the macro (selecting multiple buildings with one key).

and rally points for workers... you're right, but we're saying similar thing. you say high apm is needed for macro because you need to manage your bases, i say you need higher apm for situations when you need to manage base and a battle. Still, my point was that it's more important what actions you do and after that how many.

Awor Szurkrarz said:
I don't understand people who can practice one thing for 10 hours a day. Or 2 hours a day while we're at it.
How do they do that?

There was a pro-SC regimen posted online somewhere in the teamliquid threads. Its not strictly 10 hours of playing, something like 6 hours, with about 2 hour runs of playing. The rest is broken up discussing strategy and builds with other players, watching replays of other pro games (especially important players you are set to play soon), etc.

2 hours a day is hardly much. High school sports teams practice for that long, and they are amateurs. I've never really straight up 'practiced' for a competitive gaming career, but if I'm going to be in a tournament 2 hours of play a day in the week before is not at all unusual.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
I was talking more about the perfectionism thingie than gaming. There are tons of crazily skilled artists from Asia on sites like DeviantArt.

Awor Szurkrarz said:
I was talking more about the perfectionism thingie than gaming. There are tons of crazily skilled artists from Asia on sites like DeviantArt.

Probably has something to do with the fact that Asia has 60% of the world population, compared to about 15-20% in western countries. A lot bigger pool gives you much more examples of high talent.

Dark Matter

Prophet
I've beaten Korean SC players. True story.

My APM is about 180-200 but half of that is just spamming (effective APM is about 100).

Of course there are beatable korean players. There are tons of casuals who play no more then you and are no better then you. Its the top tier pros that are pretty much untouchable by foreigners. Korean pros are impressed when the best American or Euro players can take a single game off them in a best of 3.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Overweight Manatee said:
Awor Szurkrarz said:

Probably has something to do with the fact that Asia has 60% of the world population, compared to about 15-20% in western countries. A lot bigger pool gives you much more examples of high talent.
I'm more interested in how they manage to spend so much time working on their skills. I suspect that it has something to do with their cultures.
I don't think I've seen much of talent in their works anyway.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Mighty Mouse said:
A commenter compared this to playing the piano, any musicians with comments?
Physically, it's similar. But there's not as much multitasking involved. Which is why I suck at Starcraft.

I'm more interested in how they manage to spend so much time working on their skills. I suspect that it has something to do with their cultures.
I don't think I've seen much of talent in their works anyway.
Yeah, it's the community culture thing. We're/they're (my family's pretty Americanized, so..) brutally conditioned as children that the best thing in life is to please others, and usually this is to some objective standard. Kinda like robots, I guess. Thus self-pleasure means a lot less.

Dark Matter

Prophet
Mighty Mouse said:
A commenter compared this to playing the piano, any musicians with comments?
I'm not a musician but I don't see how you can compare the two. RTS games are not just about clicking buttons really fast in a specific pattern. In terms of just hand dexterity, I'm sure really skilled painists pull off much more complex/difficult hand movements at a much faster speed. But RTS games involve reacting to what the opponent is doing, and to have that kind of dexterity when most of it is purely reactive is very diffierent from playing music and extremely impressive in its own right.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I almost feel sorry for you :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom