Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

you know what's wrong with fallout tactics?

Manu

Novice
1- the fucking interface, you should right click to DE select the fuckers and DOUBLE left click to have them walk and shoot

2- they should have copied JA2 style of aiming at body parts and right clicking to make the shot more accurate

3- fucking bugs man, deathclaws and mutants wtf why not just stick with fucking HUMANS with GUNS and throw in a mutated freak once in awhile instead of having cockroaches and scorpions and whatevers?

otherwise I still love it

wish there were more like it

Ashery

Prophet
Manu said:
1- the fucking interface, you should right click to DE select the fuckers and DOUBLE left click to have them walk and shoot

2- they should have copied JA2 style of aiming at body parts and right clicking to make the shot more accurate

3- fucking bugs man, deathclaws and mutants wtf why not just stick with fucking HUMANS with GUNS and throw in a mutated freak once in awhile instead of having cockroaches and scorpions and whatevers?

otherwise I still love it

wish there were more like it

Never had a problem with 1.

The second point would distance the feel of the combat further from the original Fallout...and I'm not sure how much it would add making the two games more alike (Yes, JA2 is a better game, but I'd rather avoid having every game I play copy the game's minute details).

The bugs...I agree completely ;) One of the reasons I never ran an ironman playthrough of it. Nothing like playing a single map for a couple hours only to have the game crash on you (There's an ironman mode in game that doubles your xp but prevents you from saving anywhere but the command bunkers).

There aren't *that* many animal opponents either...just the beastmasters from what I recall. Although I wouldn't complain if they replaced the beastmasters with a more appropriate faction...

Yeesh

Magister
One of the reasons I never ran an ironman playthrough of it. Nothing like playing a single map for a couple hours only to have the game crash on you (There's an ironman mode in game that doubles your xp but prevents you from saving anywhere but the command bunkers)

Yeah, same here. I'm sure I'd have wussed out or died, but I would have at least given Ironman a shot if I hadn't experienced so many crashes on my normal playthrough. It wasn't too bad as long as you remembered to save, but no way it was stable enough to include a no-save option...

BUT for me the biggest bug was the burst-fire bug, which went like this: When a character or enemy aims a burst at a target, the shots against that target seem to be calculated correctly. However, the stray shots against other targets in the cone of fire were calculated in a bugged manner so they ALWAYS hit. So, from time to time I'd have two of my guys near each other, but in cover and far from the enemy. From far away the enemy would open up with a minigun, which should have been all but ineffective. Surprisingly, one of my guys would explode, not unlike a blood sausage. I'd be all like, WTF Haxx?!?! But what happened was the enemy had targeted the other guy, and either hit him once or twice or missed him with everything (as he should have), but the other guy was in the cone of fire, and EVERY SHOT hit him. Splat.

Anyway, you can see it for yourself if you shoot a burst at two baddies way far away. The one you aim at gets of easy, and the other one just gets obliterated. I don't think that ever got fixed, but I'd be happy to hear otherwise.

But really, OP; Fallout without giant bugs? Did 1950s movies teach us nothing?

Mister Arkham

Scholar
I think that there are far worse things to complain about when it comes to Tactics...

Honestly, the combat does bug me, but not for any of your reasons. I love me some JA2, but the Fallout combat system has always seemed cleaner to me. It works well in a game where combat doesn't have to be the emphasis, and indeed can be entirely incidental to your play experience.

In a game like Tactics... well, then it doesn't work so much. I will concede that a more in-depth combat system would have been preferable, but by no means would it have been necessary to ape the JA2 system.

The bugs? The bugs were fine, really. It got kind of old when it came to the Beastmasters (which were just a dumb idea), but for the most part the wildlife functioned as just that for me. Wildlife. I can't complain about a family of lizards living in an abandoned bunker any more here than in another game.

And for god's sake, man! If you have to complain about something, complain about having the mental image of Ghoul and Super Mutant prostitutes driven into your mind.

Redeye

Arcane
The Beastmasters and Furry Deathclaws were lame.

I really liked the giant cockroaches- remember Damnation Alley?

The burst thing was amazing with automatic shotguns.
Even with slug ammo the cone would still apply.

Slug ammo had a cone effect even in single-shot shotguns.

EMP shells in a Silverhawk really go a long way.

Too bad FOT2 didn't get finished.

If the dialogue system could have been totally redone to allow branching like the other Fallouts, I would have liked to explore the midwest with Cassidy in the FOT engine..
(Remember him talking about the giant twisters, etc. ?)

Tails

Arbiter
The Beastmasters and Furry Deathclaws were lame.
Once Chris Taylor mention on NMA forum that in original Fallout the DC supposed to be furry, but there were some kind of limitations.

The bugs...I agree completely Wink One of the reasons I never ran an ironman playthrough of it. Nothing like playing a single map for a couple hours only to have the game crash on you (There's an ironman mode in game that doubles your xp but prevents you from saving anywhere but the
command bunkers).
Wut? For many years I played Fallout Tactics (single & multi), I never had a crash bug... are you sure your game wast patched to latest version? (1.27)

Anyway game is ok, I can tolerate is only because it doesn't try to be cRPG.
And the Coop mod in multi is pure fun.

Korgan

Arbiter
The story and the changes to the setting are pretty dumb. Looks like they tried to make a Wasteland 40k. BoS is Spess Mehreens, supermutants are Orks, robots are Necrons.

Ashery

Prophet
No idea what patch I had been using...was years ago.

I don't recall seeing that cone of fire bug, either...

Exmit

Scholar
Bros , anyone played mod ' the awaken'? which supposedly brins a fallout 1 like sp.

Phelot

Arcane
I enjoyed it well enough. I do agree with the insects being lame. They're OK with the first 2 Fallouts, but having masses of them was boring. Beast Lords were OK when facing off against the Beast Lords themselves as opposed to bugs.

The robots were the most fun to fight except for turrets.

Exmit

Scholar
Demnogonis Saastuttaja said:
What the fuck do post dates matter and what kind of a fag looks at them?

Hello there two digit iq

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Much less options than in JA2/X-Com/Laser Squad.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom