Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number

Eyeball

Arcane
The only changes I wanted were it to portray the real Miami, not the trashy South Beach stereotype that all euros think the town is.
It's "stylised" and based on 90ies Neon Miami movies. Art style is fine as it is. More realism would detract from it and the swirling neon colours only emphasise how fucked-up the storyline is and the fact that the main character is quite possibly insane or hallucinating.

Hotline 1 had some ugly stuff too. Remember the crackwhore you rescued from the whorehouse WHO became your girlfriend? That was a pretty disturbing scene as well.

lightbane

Arcane
I know how the developers could avoid this negative publicity and keep their message. They just need to make the sexual assault victim a man, then no one will give a shit. Just like in real life!

Yup. Nobody lifted a finger at the rape scene in FEAR2. Which is my favourite example showing the hypocrisy of the social justice retards.

You don't have to go that far. Hotline Miami 1 had really disturbing deaths and/or scenes. In addition, the crackwhore was pretty much implied she was horribly abused (in every sense of the word). I hope this "internet social justice warriors/white knights/whatever " fad dies soon, it is becoming SO annoying it's not funny anymore.
:x

Last edited:

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I know how the developers could avoid this negative publicity and keep their message. They just need to make the sexual assault victim a man, then no one will give a shit. Just like in real life!

Yup. Nobody lifted a finger at the rape scene in FEAR2. Which is my favourite example showing the hypocrisy of the social justice retards.

You don't have to go that far. Hotline Miami 1 had really disturbing deaths and/or scenes. In addition, the crackwhore was pretty much implied she was horribly abused (in every sense of the word). I hope this "internet social justice warriors/white knights/whatever " fad dies soon, it is becoming SO annoying it's not funny anymore.
Seriously ? In that pixellated humorous style you can't possibly take the violence that serious ?

Dr Tomo

Learned
Apparently they're going to change the game because some idiots were outraged at the fake rape scene

www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/09/05/hotline-miami-devs-reconsidering-sexual-assault-scene/

:decline:

This is where I think people should grow the hell up as movies have been doing it for the last three decades and continue to this day.

Games are created for adult audience.
Games are new ART form.

Well, if you can't even show a rape on a game how do you expect games to be taken seriously? The ones trying to turn gaming into more respectable branch are also doing their best to make it stay as an entertainment for kids. I'm not advocating rape scenes in games but how do you expect to be taken seriously when you censor everything that causes butthurt and censor even the +18 games?

I think western gaming culture can learn a thing or two from their eastern friends.

Oh yes they can.

Sexual assault would seem to fit in the world of Hotline Miami just fine. It's a brutal world, and I don't see a reason to draw arbitrary lines set from the outside that one kind of violence is ok but another is not. Let the developer determine that. I don't like the idea that all video games (or any medium) need to be cleared of all triggers. That's just stifling to creativity, an amount of freedom is required for the medium to grow. I know it's not pleasant, but if you can't stand it, don't play it? The idea that it can't exist seems needlessly restrictive. Rape is a horrifying part of human existence but that doesn't mean you can't show it, it just means you should deal with it in a manner that doesn't belittle it. I agree with the thinking behind these complaints to some extent but I don't like the solution, to just purge it completely.

But speaking of how you deal with it, it does sound like the scene is just poorly handled. It doesn't clearly communicate what's about to happen, control is taken away from you, and you're *forced* to rape her? That doesn't work for me. At the very least give us some options. Though I seem to remember that was never Hotline's strong suit, I once tried sparing a guy but I couldn't leave the area until I killed him. Maybe that form of storytelling works best for them, but I don't think that's playing to videogaming's strengths.

RPS' headline is pretty misleading by the way. All the dev is saying is they'll re-assess after testing in the full game. That's something that probably would have happened anyway. That interview is really hostile anyway, good on the dev for keeping his head.

I sadly haven't played the game and hopefully people will not demand my blood. But I saw a friend play the game and he showed a scene where there was a crack whore that looked like she was raped. Honestly I don't see why we need to justify it with any other reason other than the fact that it is the creators rights to do what they want and if they want to make the game Nanking: A Jap soldiers tale more power to them. It is like now people has to go full retard and crusade that this is a social injustice when shit like this happen in third world cesspools all the time, the hypocrisy of these people amazes me.

I understood it she was raped and that is exactly what my friend told me unless that is wrong. Either way the people that promote this message of censoring the game are the same people that gets manipulated all the time.

Krash

Arcane
You always have the best ideas rimjob

Also: this thread is making me try out the first Hotline Miami. Seems awesome so far.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Does the feminists in west support female conscription? I'm wondering what do they think about military actually.

About as much as they support women working as coal miners, electrical power line installers or even garbage collectors. Unless it's the kind of job appealing to an educated, wealthy white woman, feminism tends to ignore it.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Well, fuck.

But then again, I haven't had the time to finish half of the games I bought last year, so...

Edit:

But seriously, I’ve sent a mail to Dennaton to find out why Hotline Miami 2 has managed to slip so far into the sadly not-neon-psychepink future, and I’ll let you know if I find out anything. Perhaps the game has expanded its scope markedly since I last saw it. Maybe Dennaton has spent months making the doors somehow even better. Or maybe, well, there were certain story elements that at least warranted a little rewiring, if not outright removal.

Fuck RPS, fuck it to the bottom of the sea.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
If they're taking out the play-acted almost-rape, they really should take out the extreme violence and torture too. I'd bet that's what they're working on right now, hence the huge delay.

Angthoron

Arcane
It will now be a game about gathering 102 free hugs from a feminist while managing a resource called cis privilege.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
im boycotting any game that doesnt have a rape button i tell you what
People act indignified because an game designer got bullied/submited to/by internet tards demands and somehow the latter are the ones overreacting according to yourself. But then, you are the one that likes to manufacture lies about people you don't like so at least it fits your stupid character.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Check list of a true free-form game:

Murder anyone (Old, young which includes kids, men, women, etc) []
Rape []
Torture []

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
when people edit and rework early first drafts of scenes based on audience feedback + their own judgement about whether stuff works as thematically intended, thats a pretty terrible thing, in my opinion

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
when people edit and rework early first drafts of scenes based on audience feedback + their own judgement about whether stuff works as thematically intended, thats a pretty terrible thing, in my opinion
lol, audience feedback. You might not want to listen to an audience made of retards in the first place, since they will slurp your shit up in the first place. You are also forgetting the other audience that don't want to change cutscenes because some retard might feel bad. In short, you are a subhuman cretin filth.

Machocruz

Arcane
American males are suckers. Their women don't truly give a damn about them, yet they are still protective of these women. Defeated by biology and their own lack of self-respect.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
WHERE IS MY FUCKING HOTLINE MIAMI 2?

Also:

Also please fuck off Ian Miles Cheong, you're a cancer to journalism and the community it general. I don't work for Devolver or anything, I just mirrored this video after it was streamed for people who missed the stream.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom