Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

You guys MUST play The Elder Scrolls: Arena

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Wyrmlord, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Roguey Magister

Roguey
    ^ Top  
  2. abnaxus Arcane

abnaxus
    Where the hell is that from?
    ^ Top  
  3. Roguey Magister

Roguey
    Unseen, Unheard by Chris Avellone, art by Dustin Weaver. Star Wars Tales #24, collected in volume 6 of the trade paperback collection.
    ^ Top  
  4. sgc_meltdown Arcane

sgc_meltdown
    son that's what I call immunity to pinkeye and an excuse to wear two eyepatches at once

hubba hubba
    ^ Top  
  5. Jasede Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Jasede
    This game is pretty good!
    ^ Top  
  6. Xi Augur

Xi
    I never gave this game a chance. I started with Daggerfall (which I still love). However, I am not in a position to dump time into another game. I was thinking about playing Wizardry 8, or waiting for the BG enhanced (when I find some time). Something along those lines. You think it's worth it though Worm L.?
    ^ Top  
  7. JarlFrank Великий князь Patron

JarlFrank
    Wyrmlord, you're really overrating Arena. It's a solid dungeon crawl with good mainquest dungeons and solid mechanics, but Daggerfall is better at anything except for dungeon design and Ultima Underworld 1 and 2 are both better games than Arena, and of the same subgenre.
    ^ Top  
  8. sea Prestigious Gentleman I support InXile

sea
    I do agree with a lot of the points here, but I think the caveat is that these are strengths that a lot of other dungeon crawlers possess. Arena is good, but isn't really unique or special when it comes to this sort of thing, and arguably has way too much fluff compared to a game like Ultima Underworld to offer a truly "intense" sort of experience. Daggerfall went full retard with the world size, procedural/random content etc., but it worked because exploration, character building and freeform play were always the main strengths of the Elder Scrolls series, not the dungeon crawling.
    ^ Top  
  9. Wyrmlord Self-Ejected Patron

Wyrmlord
    Xi

If it is a matter of choosing where to dump time...you'll finish Arena very quickly. So even though Wizardry 8 or BG Enhanced will take a lot more of your time, you might be able to squeeze Arena in there. There is one catch. You should consider doing about six artifact quests before you begin the main quest. That way, you'll be strong enough to finish the game without camping or resting. Finding a place to rest, along with attempting several resting periods before enemies appear, will multiply the time it takes to finish each place. It will also make the game more irritating.

JarlFrank

Sure, it does not compare to others of its subgenre. But that is because it is a very solid subgenre. Ultima Underworld, Ultima Underworld II, Daggerfall, Arena, System Shock, and Arx Fatalis - all these are some of the most memorable gaming experiences out there. The first-person action RPG genre, in its original form where the player only chose location of attack but where stats not twitching mattered, comprised a solid set of games due to the challenge, the object-clue-finding, the exploration, and the atmosphere. They were never pure RPGs, but they overcompensated in that regard.

sea

Sure, I agree, really good game, but average in an above average sub-genre.
    ^ Top  
  10. Clockwork Knight Arcane

Clockwork Knight
    [​IMG]

For once Wyrmlord decides to demonstrate interest in a game instead of economics or politics, and you guys immediately put him down. *shakes head*
    ^ Top  
  11. Excidium P. banal

Self-Ejected
    [​IMG]

Now this is something I haven't seen in a while.
    ^ Top  
  12. Clockwork Knight Arcane

Clockwork Knight
    Found it in my image folder while organizing that mess. I also have kingcomrade, jaime lannister and blobert's avatars there, for some reason. Also the older Sandro that Phelot used a year or so ago...time sure flies by.

Speaking of that, I miss your downs syndrome guy from Ultima Underworld.
    ^ Top  
  13. Excidium P. banal

Self-Ejected
    I tried using it but it was so blurry and stretched. The new 'dex is too next-gen for old avatars.
    ^ Top  
  14. taxalot Arcane Patron

taxalot
    Codex 2013
    I wish I was still a child having fun with the simplest thing : a stick, a ball, a priest, or The Elder Scrolls.
    ^ Top  
  15. Wyrmlord Self-Ejected Patron

Wyrmlord
    Fixed.
    ^ Top  
  16. Kattze Arcane

Kattze
    You are not mondblut.
    ^ Top  
  17. Humanity has risen! Arcane Patron Repressed Homosexual

Humanity has risen!
    What should be the Dosbox CPU cycles parameter?

I found out I thought it was horribly slow because I put the detail to the maximum level, and with the default config from Arena setup it really was slow as hell. Setting the detail lower makes the player move pretty fast, but NPCs in the first town seem to move way too quickly.
    ^ Top  
  18. Quetzacoatl Liturgist

Quetzacoatl
    ^ Top  
  19. Wyrmlord Self-Ejected Patron

Wyrmlord
    I play the game at 40,000 cycles. NPCs do move fast, but enough so for me to catch up to them.
    ^ Top  
  20. Wyrmlord Self-Ejected Patron

Wyrmlord
    Oh gawd, worst ending ever.

Use the Skeleton Key to open a room with a jewel.

Finished. Game over. Now watch the ending cinematic.

They really screwed up the finale of this game. Just as bad as that of Oblivion. Even the Sovngarde last battle in Skyrim was way better. In this game? You don't even fight. You just open the door to a room.
    ^ Top  
  21. Quetzacoatl Liturgist

Quetzacoatl
    Wasn't there some fight with Jagar Tharn?
    ^ Top  
  22. Revenant Magister

Revenant
    Wyrmlord is strolling around knee deep in shit and is surprised that something smells bad.
    ^ Top  
  23. Wyrmlord Self-Ejected Patron

Wyrmlord
    No fight with Tharn.

He is invulnerable and will keep attacking you. Or won't, if you are invisible.

You are simply supposed to open a door.

I liked most of the game, but the ending area was super bad.
    ^ Top  
  24. abnaxus Arcane

abnaxus
    You can take down all Jagar Tharn's HP to neutralize him, actually. He just casts Oililuke's Resilient Sphere but stops bothering you.
    ^ Top  
  25. Humanity has risen! Arcane Patron Repressed Homosexual

Humanity has risen!
    It's a shame because I like the dungeon crawling and gameplay system along with finding clues, but walking endlessly through nondescript, ugly outdoors where you can barely see anything and huge towns where every building looks the same isn't too pleasing.

Where is the fast travel option?
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above links helps us pay the hosting bills)