Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

You don't need talent

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Bethesda made more money with their so-called "lack of talent" than Obsidian ever will. Meanwhile, while Todd Howard and Pete Hines are bathing in showers of cash, Josh Sawyer, Chris Avellone, Feargus Urquhart, and Brian Fargo are all scattered to the winds looking for work wherever they can find it.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Michael Bay reveals the eye-watering net worth he's accumulated from film

"I'd say about half... Half a B."
blank.gif

Michael_bay_Fur_Coat.jpg

Not many directors could overshadow promotion of their new film by discussing how much they cost, but Michael Bay has managed it.

In a profile focused on the upcoming release of action thriller 13 Hours: The Secret Soliders of Benghazi, Rolling Stone got to discussing the director's huge financial success which has been aided largely by the (critically panned but commercially succesful) Transformers franchise throughout the past decade.

When the interviewer pointed out that Bay's 11 films (including Armageddon and Pearl Harbor) have all grossed over $5 billion internationally – the fourth-highest return for any director – talk turned to his net worth; the man was more than happy to reveal just how much he costs. And in empthatic terms.

"I'd say about half; half a B".

That's right, the man who has churned out four Transformers films has made so much money he can no longer be bothered to use the word 'billion.'

In his defense, he plans to put the money to a good cause.

"I'll probably do a very large wildlife-protection fund. Not yet. One day."

Upon being asked whether he'd love to win an Oscar, an achievement that cinema's five other biggest-selling directors have all achieved, he replied, "I'm not losing sleep over it. You reach a point in your life when you're comfortable with who you are and you don't need to prove anything to anybody. Do what makes you happy."

...and just like that, the recently-announced Transformers 5 makes a lot more sense.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Meanwhile, while Todd Howard and Pete Hines are bathing in showers of cash, Josh Sawyer, Chris Avellone, Feargus Urquhart, and Brian Fargo are all scattered to the winds looking for work wherever they can find it.

Well Brian Fargo's family founded Wells Fargo and American Express so I don't think he gives a flying fuck whether he makes money on games or not. Dude probably has a few billion hidden in Swiss bank accounts or something.

Those other guys might have it rough I suppose.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Not sure what op's point is supposed to be, considering people like Sawyer and Fargo obviously have barely any talent either. At least for making games.

Black_Willow

Arcane
Michael Bay reveals the eye-watering net worth he's accumulated from film

"I'd say about half... Half a B."
blank.gif

Michael_bay_Fur_Coat.jpg

Not many directors could overshadow promotion of their new film by discussing how much they cost, but Michael Bay has managed it.

In a profile focused on the upcoming release of action thriller 13 Hours: The Secret Soliders of Benghazi, Rolling Stone got to discussing the director's huge financial success which has been aided largely by the (critically panned but commercially succesful) Transformers franchise throughout the past decade.

When the interviewer pointed out that Bay's 11 films (including Armageddon and Pearl Harbor) have all grossed over $5 billion internationally – the fourth-highest return for any director – talk turned to his net worth; the man was more than happy to reveal just how much he costs. And in empthatic terms.

"I'd say about half; half a B".

That's right, the man who has churned out four Transformers films has made so much money he can no longer be bothered to use the word 'billion.'

In his defense, he plans to put the money to a good cause.

"I'll probably do a very large wildlife-protection fund. Not yet. One day."

Upon being asked whether he'd love to win an Oscar, an achievement that cinema's five other biggest-selling directors have all achieved, he replied, "I'm not losing sleep over it. You reach a point in your life when you're comfortable with who you are and you don't need to prove anything to anybody. Do what makes you happy."

...and just like that, the recently-announced Transformers 5 makes a lot more sense.
Notch can LOL at this guy all day long.

huckc

Novice
Talented at what exactly?

The primary goal for a game developer is to make as much profit as possible from their games. I'd see they're pretty talented at that.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
I think Bethesda hit the jackpot purely by accident, their games are 1st person, it seems that in 90's they actualy tried to make a decent RPG but at some point in 2005 they said 'fuck it, lets make a Elder Scrolls CoD', today most popular are FPSes (Cod, BF). By dumbing down their RPG mechanics and buffing the graphics like FPSes do, they reached the mass market.

laclongquan

Arcane
It's not easy pandering to the mass, I can tell you that much. It's a talent of some kind I wish I have.

On the other hand, other than the 1st movie, the rest of Transformers I dont bother to remove from inventory.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
It's not easy pandering to the mass, I can tell you that much. It's a talent of some kind I wish I have.

Just look at Bethesda for example.

Try to do something quality at first ( DaggerFall Morrowind), see that it is good but niche, remove everything that makes 'it' it, it became shit and masses love it.

Art Vandelay

Prophet
Bethesda made more money with their so-called "lack of talent" than Obsidian ever will. Meanwhile, while Todd Howard and Pete Hines are bathing in showers of cash, Josh Sawyer, Chris Avellone, Feargus Urquhart, and Brian Fargo are all scattered to the winds looking for work wherever they can find it.

your point?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom