Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Yet another Piracy: Good or Bad? discussion

Spoken like a true commie.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
If you pirate games, you're a stupid piece of shit and a thieving asshole. I hope you get rounded into a gulag and maybe tear-gassed.
Whoa, look out for Mr. Badass over here. Imagine getting so mad over people copying data online that you want them to die.
I am pretty sure he is being sarcastic.

I was -- honestly, very few people should end up in gulags -- but also, I hate the entitlement and general scumbaggery of stealing someone's work. Just buy the game, if you are too poor to buy the game, go get a fucking job. Don't take things from people without contributing.
And i hate the entitlement of people spiting from ivory towers.

Ivory-Tower-Syndrome.jpg

Yes, adhering to one of the basic tenets of civil society, e.g. you contributing for the things you take, is "spitting from ivory towers." Jesus fucking Christ, punch yourself in your tiny nuts.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
The people who tend to be the most nonchalant about this kind of piracy tend to be people who have never made anything in their lives. I am sure that is just a coincidence.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Everyone has made something creative in their life, but not all creations are equal.

If we are going into the subject of what is art and how do you appreciate it/put a price tag on it, I'm out :D

As soon as I release something on the internet, I accept the possibility that someone will download it, modify it, and redistribute it as his own work. I have never released anything for which I have tried to charge money, but if I had, I would have also accepted the possibility that it would be pirated.

Piracy can't be judged in general IMO, but case by case. There is the person pirating and there is the work being pirated. And also the individual's appreciation of the work.

If I see a game dvd rolling on the street, will I pick it up? Will this be piracy, theft? What if it's a shit game, which I don't value anyway, and I throw it in the trash? Or if I play it for a while, and enjoy it, and never buy it? Will this be theft? But what if I enjoy it and then go and buy it, just to support to authors? Is it still theft?

abija

Prophet
The people who tend to be the most nonchalant about this kind of piracy tend to be people who have never made anything in their lives. I am sure that is just a coincidence.
I live in a country where a primary m.d. in his 30ies makes a bit less than 4 euro per hour and his teacher wife less than 3. I'm sure your holier than thou attitude has nothing to do with living in a crystal bubble.

Last edited:

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
I live in a country where a primary m.d. in his 30ies makes a bit less than 4 euro per hour and his teacher wife less than 3. I'm sure your holier than thou attitude has nothing to do with living in a crystal bubble.

become a bitcoin miner ! it's the future !

screen-shot-2018-02-02-at-64013-pmpng-640x320.png

the_shadow

Arcane
I find it strange that quite a few members here are in favour of software piracy, despite RPGCodex having a disproportionately high amount of right-wingers vs. other gaming forums...

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Didn't you get it mate?! Just get a job and magically you will be able to buy games,tons of them.
Really hate such retards that can't contemplate the fact that there is a world outside of their village. You still do have an ok salary,more or less like mine. Still there are countries where people take 5 euro in week and work 10-12 hours a day. That attitude of "get a job" coming from a guy that works maybe 6 hours 5 days a week is pretty ironical.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I have a couple of books and short stories published and work as a writer and world designer on the upcoming RPG Realms Beyond.

I am fully aware of the fact that people will pirate my work and, possibly are already pirating it (the books I released up to now).

And I honestly don't give a fuck.

Egosphere

Arcane
Pirating is usually highly correlated with success anyways. The games that are pirated the most are the games that are raking in the $, and the ones who pirate are, mostly, kids from poorer regions in the world. You can implement the most draconian anti-piracy measures ever and I doubt you'd earn even 1% in extra revenue. Throttling demand wont change it into effective demand.

Self-Ejected

c2007

Self-Ejected
I find it strange that quite a few members here are in favour of software piracy, despite RPGCodex having a disproportionately high amount of right-wingers vs. other gaming forums...
Huh?

RPGCodex is not disproportionately right-wing. You may be disproportionately left-wing if you think so. Views here are a swirling pot of piss and shit, just like global politics. Also, in most gaming forums, you will find more RW posting especially in our current scenario. A good portion of these right-winger types are living off the good money of dear-old dad and wouldn't know an honest days work, and might perish should he have to endure one. The real posters here and elsewhere, have less of a political hard-on than these silver spoons, and can have a real conversation. Essentially, if someone has really strong political opinions and needs to tell them to you, you can dismiss that person as worthy of your time and effort.

Software piracy policy is a pretty broad subject, and it is not surprising that attitudes vary about copying a game disk, even if people are somewhat "politically aligned". I am a wishy-washy libertarian that doesn't give a fuck about party lines, and I would pirate a game for some reasons, especially if the developer has a shady past. Yet, if I ended up enjoying whatever I took, I buy it eventually.

Nowadays, nothing is even worth pirating :(

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
A good portion of these right-winger types are living off the good money of dear-old dad and wouldn't know an honest days work, and might perish should he have to endure one.
Strangely i think the same way about left wing cumbuckettiering soyboy cucks. The world is such a strange place...filled with such strange people.

Anyway on the rest i agree with you,the codex is like good nice pub from the olden times. It is filled with all kind of opinions,views and believes,most people are not shy about showing them :salute:. The codex is a true neutral center.
And i agree on your piracy views.

Self-Ejected

c2007

Self-Ejected
Strangely i think the same way about left wing cumbuckettiering soyboy cucks. The world is such a strange place...filled with such strange people.

Anyway on the rest i agree with you,the codex is like good nice pub from the olden times. It is filled with all kind of opinions,views and believes,most people are not shy about showing them :salute:. The codex is a true neutral center.
And i agree on your piracy views.

Why strangely? Political views should be considered on a circular spectrum, with the extreme left and right pretty much saying the same thing and screaming that their opposite is wrong. Sounds like dipshits agree even when they can't agree on it.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik

I have a couple of books and short stories published and work as a writer and world designer on the upcoming RPG Realms Beyond.

I am fully aware of the fact that people will pirate my work and, possibly are already pirating it (the books I released up to now).

And I honestly don't give a fuck.
You might like this.
I seen on reddit a discussion when a poster asked if he can read a series from third book because he doesn't have money for all three. And the author seen that.
Why don't you pirate it, find it in public library, do something? Reading my books from third. What would you do next time? Visit my home and beat up my children?
Actually I'm not even sure he mentioned library... It was years of his work butchered in instant by a person who didn't want to violate law.

Even game developers are quite happy when someone actually is playing theirs games. When someone is playing theirs games 10 years later, they are happy someone even remembered theirs games, even if he pirated it.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Also, for all those "piracy is baaaaaad" faggots, read this:

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/2...-to-believing-its-incredibly-good-thing.shtml

This guy got his own works pirated. His opinion is worth more than yours.

Bad example? The pirates were not only translating Gaiman's works into their native language but also spreading his works, when before normal paying customers were literally forced to piracy because A) they couldn't buy even if they wanted to and B) their language wasn't supported. Rarely this is the case in video game piracy and it's simply people wanting free stuff instead of being forced to piracy.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
The people who justify pirating a video game like they are stealing a loaf of bread to feed their family are cute.
Video games are not a necessity, they are a luxury.. If you can't afford video games, you don't have to buy them. Your life will not be impacted by the failure to play the latest game.

Peasants should know their place.

Neanderthal

Arcane
I think piracy is morally reprehensible, I shoplift, rob and ocassionally rape* instead.

*Nothing to do with games or piracy but a mans got to have a hobby.

PorkBarrellGuy

The profits of the developer will not be impacted by a guy who couldn't afford the game anyway pirating it.
But surely they will be impacted by all the people who can afford it and choose to pirate it anyway because "free is the best price". As for people who say "well, I'm waiting for it to come down in price!" - I have no reason to believe that most of them will ever follow up on that and make good their bluff.

abija

Prophet
The people who justify pirating a video game like they are stealing a loaf of bread to feed their family are cute.
Video games are not a necessity, they are a luxury.. If you can't afford video games, you don't have to buy them. Your life will not be impacted by the failure to play the latest game.

You know what's cute? Corporations that rob the world blind trying to increase their profits by appealing to morality and dumbfucks like you who drink their kool-aid.

But surely they will be impacted by all the people who can afford it and choose to pirate it anyway because "free is the best price".
I live in a poor ass country and still know way more instances of people who saved up to buy a game (or movie/music/book w/else) they liked than people who can afford them and pirate out of spite.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
As far as I am concerned, if you are making a handful of euros an hour in your work, you get a pass.

We can't ignore regional economy and ability to pay. What I don't think is right is when those who can pay don't.

Downplaying the impact of someone else's lost revenue is wholly selfish and doesn't make the act any less immoral if you are in a position to pay.

The arrogance of determining that the impact of your immoral and unlawful actions on others is negligible.

PorkBarrellGuy

I live in a poor ass country and still know way more instances of people who saved up to buy a game (or movie/music/book w/else) they liked than people who can afford them and pirate out of spite.

And I live in a relatively rich-ass country and know many instances of people who very definitely had the money to buy a game and pirated them anyway, not even because of spite but simply because "Why pay when you can get it for free?" and a handful of other sloppy rationalizations. Best one was the ex-friend who actually insisted on pirating Bioshock Infinite for me because he thought it was the best shit ever and was convinced I'd think the same (HA). Dude was very well to do, had an insane gaming rig and ridiculous setup for bigscreening, had a nice late-model car, had a house in the nicest part of town.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth

You know what's cute? Corporations that rob the world blind trying to increase their profits by appealing to morality and dumbfucks like you who drink their kool-aid.

Not sure what your argument is. Is it that it is OK to steal from corporations because they are greedy? Are they morally repugnant for denying you cheap access to essential necessities like vidya? Do you not understand that it is possible to be against piracy and theft but also view corporations as greedy/bad? Do you understand that two wrongs don't make a right? Furthermore, what video game companies are trying to rob the world blind? They are luxury products that are not necessary for life. No one is strong arming you to play them. No one is holding a gun to your head and saying "buy this video game... OR ELSE!"

Or do you actually believe they are not luxury items?

the amount of mental gymnastics that take place among pirates would make SJWs blush

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom