Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Yet Another Morrowind Thread

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
It's very easy to have an awful framerate in Morrowind Overhaul
Yeah you wouldn't believe the amount of time I wasted configuring my brother's MGSO install so it would run faster than 5FPS outside

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Someone made HD vanilla mod

45247-3-1508393805.png

45247-4-1508393804.png

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/45247/

Awful. I would rather stick with the vanilla uncompressed textures over adding fake shit onto the textures. With waifu2x you aren't gaining any detail, and you lose it instead.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado

Is that a scaler that turns healthy specimens into anime abonimations?

It does upscale images, and that makes it pretty much shit: upscaling doesn't add more detail. That's what the uncompressed textures are for: no compression = more detail.

Village idiot indeed

slide_result.png

Shitposter indeed. Comparing a drawing to a texture is retarded, as a texture has LOTS more detail than "lines and colors".

All I see in the Morrowind pictures you posted are distorted textures. I would know, I've done that shit for months. Detail = Detail. Higher resolution =/= More detail, it just has the POTENTIAL for more detail. And these pictures aren't anymore detailed than the vanilla Morrowind uncompressed textures, it's literally impossible to craft detail out of NOTHING unless you do it manually yourself (a.k.a. "texture pack").

Look at the blur behind the Balmora guard FFS, does that look like "HD" to you? No, it's just a high resolution texture that wastes space since the level of detail added is practically meaningless.

This is what I mean by "resolution means shit". These two pictures are the same resolution.

Sin_t_tulo.png

But one is more detailed to the other, because the first one has been compressed whereas the right one is uncompressed.

Last edited:

passerby

Arcane

Is that a scaler that turns healthy specimens into anime abonimations?

It does upscale images, and that makes it pretty much shit: upscaling doesn't add more detail. That's what the uncompressed textures are for: no compression = more detail.

When you just look at upscaled textures in an image viewer, upscaling does nothing.
The problem is that in game original low res textures get blurred by the game renderer texture filtering into smeared shit.

This is why I play old lowres games like Quake for example, with texture filtering disabled.
It may be a little pixelated up close, or it may flicker a little from a distance, but overall is a lot more detailed and sharp compared to filtered blurry shit.

Upscaling a texture by 2x, or 3x factor does not destroy any original information and creates a middleground effect, when original pixel is represented by 4, or 9 pixels block and only edges of the pixels block get blurred by filtering.
While in the center of the pixels block remains a solid area that keep the color of the pixel from the original source texture. Upscaled texture gets a lot less blurred by filtering basically.

Another thing are mipmap levels, depending on a distance the engine uses downscaled versions of the textures.
When you upscale a texture 2x, then the second downscaled mipmap level is basically the original texture, instead of 2x downscaled texture and so on.

This is why upscaled textures from Makabb screenshots look a lot more detailed than vanilla ( and definitely better because of that imo ) and you are in a complete denial of what is clear to see.

Last edited:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
When you just look at upscaled textures in an image viewer, upscaling does nothing.
The problem is that in game original low res textures get blurred by the game renderer texture filtering into smeared shit.

I disagree with the latter statement. In the past I've upscaled Morrowind's textures using "Nearest Neighbor", which gave me pixel-perfect textures, completely faithful to the originals (as they were essentially the same texture, but bigger). This made the textures look blocky in-game, as they weren't stretched anymore to fit a huge mesh.

What I'm inclined to think is that waifu2x is simply upscaling the textures, using a very subtle filter on top, but not going overboard with the resolution. Which may make the textures look better (opinion), but to say they are actually, objectively, better is simply false, because it is all done by a computer.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Call me a retard but the only aspect of Bethesda games I would truly miss if Fallout were to go back to its isometric roots is the amount of clothing and nude mods. Anyone who says there is something more valuable to salvage is wrong or a flaming homosexual.

Last edited:

a cut of domestic sheep prime

the way hedescribes the worldlore makes me wonder if Ken Rolston watches anime. I had forgotten all about that one guy who boned his clone daughter/wives for example.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom