Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Yet Another Morrowind Thread

Beastro

Arcane
Bloodmoon needed some more shit to it than the few settlements it did have. I always felt the mead hall sitting out by itself was rather odd.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
The werewolf mechanic in Solstheim was incredible for morrowind. It's a shame skyrim could never compare to the real thing in morrowind. Those nightmares and then runs through the woods in first person, with the canine vision and incredible speed was amazing. I never understood why Bethesda removed the dialogue and cutscenes attached to the werewolf and vampire transitions in previous games. Those were great for immersion.
Nah, Skyrim's lycanthropy was much better, the Dragonborn DLC even adds a whole Beast perk tree. And there's this (SE version here) if you want more.

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
The werewolf mechanic in Solstheim was incredible for morrowind. It's a shame skyrim could never compare to the real thing in morrowind. Those nightmares and then runs through the woods in first person, with the canine vision and incredible speed was amazing. I never understood why Bethesda removed the dialogue and cutscenes attached to the werewolf and vampire transitions in previous games. Those were great for immersion.
Nah, Skyrim's lycanthropy was much better, the Dragonborn DLC even adds a whole Beast perk tree. And there's this (SE version here) if you want more.
I didn't like it. They forced 3rd person, and half the perks were just stat upgrades, with a few retarded totem abilities. In morrowind you had that canine vision, that incredibly speed all the time, and could actually see your arms flying out in front of you while you were hurtling around solstheim. It also had the added immersive element of not being able to fully control your lycanthropy, forcing you to go elsewhere during bloodmoons. And the quest attached to your lycanthropy was just better than skyrims shitty companion werewolf quest.

And the fact you have to link to a modder to try and justify skyrims werewolf mechanics to try and compare to morrowinds is telling.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I don't understand the point of adding multiplayer to Morrowind. The game is designed around a single player-character, without NPC followers, and doesn't have a combat system or other mechanics suited to multiple party members.

Now, if someone would create a Morrowind-like (or Daggerfall-like) game designed for a multiple-character party, that would be a different matter, one that would actually generate incline.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
I don't understand the point of adding multiplayer to Morrowind. The game is designed around a single player-character, without NPC followers, and doesn't have a combat system or other mechanics suited to multiple party members.

Now, if someone would create a Morrowind-like (or Daggerfall-like) game designed for a multiple-character party, that would be a different matter, one that would actually generate incline.

Well I saw someone let's play multiplayer morrowind for a bit and apparantly it has an option to increase the difficulty to be more balanced around a group of however many people you have. Not sure exactly how it worked, probably just increased the health of enemies by a lot or something but they actually needed to stick together and fight as a group.

Also umbra 1-shot their whole group which was pretty funny to watch.

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist

To co op with a buddy and each go to opposite ends of vardenfell, down 1000 skooma and try to jump and hit each other in mid air.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Well I saw someone let's play multiplayer morrowind for a bit and apparantly it has an option to increase the difficulty to be more balanced around a group of however many people you have. Not sure exactly how it worked, probably just increased the health of enemies by a lot or something but they actually needed to stick together and fight as a group.

Also umbra 1-shot their whole group which was pretty funny to watch.
Difficulty of combat encounters could be artificially increased in the same manner as the existing difficulty system, which merely increases enemy hit points and damage, but this wouldn't make any difference to the combat mechanics, which are unsuited to having multiple characters assisting each other. Similarly, Morrowind expects the player-character to be something of a jack-of-all-trades rather than having distinct classes that complement each other, as in a party-based game. Also, multiplayer works better in a combat-focused game than in an exploration-focused game, and Morrowind is squarely the latter.

On the other hand, imagine someone having the vision to create a (non-massively) multiplayer game combining the action-based combat system of Dragon's Dogma with the exploration and setting of Morrowind, and a character customization system that draws from both games in order to have clearly-distinct classes with combat-important abilities as in Dragon's Dogma but also a variety of attributes and non-combat skills as in Morrowind.

:takemymoney::takemyjewgold::desu::love::martini:

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
So speaking of difficulty, I've been experimenting with modding in this and I'm thinking about creating a mod that greatly increases difficulty of sixth house encounters.

Basically my idea is to buff health and damage on all of the sixth house members and add special abilities. Some ideas that I've implemented:

*Dreamers are FAST (we're talking 120 speed attribute) and cast a self immolate spell that damages themselves as well as anything in the area near them. I've also replaced their mace with a weapon that summons a new dreamer near you each time it hits.
*Ash slaves are invisible and cast paralyze as their first spell. Their other magic spells have been buffed for more damage. This hopefully synergizes with the new dreamers if they're nearby
*Ascended sleepers conjure an army of sixth house members when combat initiates. Also giving them more abilities to make encounters feel more like a boss fight.
*Any attack from a sixth house member has a chance to give the player a nasty disease (working on details of this)
*More changes to remaining sixth house members.

I want the sixth house to be terrifying and actually feel like an end game enemy. Hopefully I can make sixth house dungeons feel more like playing a horror game rather than just cruising through and 1-shotting everything. They're a super creepy enemy but they just don't scale at all to a character that's above like level 15.

You guys think this is a good idea or a waste of time?

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Wow, fuck you then assholes! Let me tell you cunts, I know this game inside and out and I know exactly what it takes to make this game super fun beyond what your puny brains can imagine. I have this game modded perfectly, and the experience is so good it's like banging a super model on ecstasy.

And I'm keeping all this knowledge to myself you ungrateful bitches! You won't be getting a sliver of info from me because I'm just going to drop this thread and spend my time getting bjs from my 10/10 gfs.

Eat shit assholes, and don't cry to me

virgin_newfag

Novice
Sup, virgin newfag here. Are there any mods that completely remove the most broken exploits from Morrowind? Like the Alchemy infinite stats etc.

P.S. mods set me freeee

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Yeah just not exploiting is probably the best option.

BTB's Game Improvements removes exploits but it takes everything way too far imo.

One of the problems with Morrowind is that like 99% of NPCs/Monsters in the base game are around level 12 or lower. When you're lower level than them the game's impossibly hard and when you're higher level you're basically a god. There's a nice sweet spot in there but that lasts for like a level if that.

virgin_newfag

Novice
That was my conclusion too friends, luckily I don't know that much about the game and I'll just have to avoid gulping int potions. I'm also roleplaying as a mage with no destruction spells and running from all fights, I'll let you guys know how it goes

P.S. mods set me f REEEEEEEEEEEE

virgin_newfag

Novice
On the topic of mods, someone is making a "Patch for Purists™"
www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/45096

I believe this will supersede the Unofficial Patch, if it hasn't already.

What distinguishes the Patch for Purists from existing player made patches?
My purist approach kept me from introducing debatable and unnecessary changes: balance chanches based on personal preferences, so-called improvements in gameplay, and adding of unnecessary stuff. These are changes which, according to me, do not belong in a bugfixing patch because they go beyond fixing unintentional immersion breaking issues. Unfortunately, these are the exact changes that plague most player made patches. These patches force purists to play an outdated version of the game [v1.6.3b] and alter the experience of new players who are not aware of these unnecessary changes to the original game, as was intended by the developers.

Compatible with OpenMW. :obviously:

Is OpenMW better than Overhaul?

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
OpenMW runs smoother and doesn't really crash.

Overhaul hugely updates the graphics but it's not compatible with OpenMW. You'll probably have occasional CTDs with this, even more so if you install a bunch of mods on top of it.

Modding OpenMW is different because MWSE is not compatible with it, so any mods that use MWSE won't work with OpenMW. Also I don't think OpenMW has a feature for increasing draw distance, which means things won't load more than about 30 yards in front of you.

Uhhh if you don't mind the vanilla graphics/draw distance or if you're alright with manually picking and installing individual model/texture mods then OpenMW is a better experience just because of stability. Do yourself a favor and at least install graphic herbalism though.

Zhakaron has a few modding vids that are useful to people new to morrowind.

virgin_newfag

Novice
thanks for the infos bro. honestly i don't mind the vanilla graphics, i'll probably try openMW since apparently i can convert my saves.

the game is fun and allows me to roleplay my semi-pacifist mage with ease for now.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
Sup, virgin newfag here. Are there any mods that completely remove the most broken exploits from Morrowind? Like the Alchemy infinite stats etc.

P.S. mods set me freeee

Yeah it's called not using Alchemy

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom