Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Yet Another Morrowind Thread

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
I decided to start over after all and I switched to Khajit just so i can have that extra bit of min/maxing.

Khajiit are terrible for min-maxing, they can't even wear shoes.

trimethylsilyl

Educated
Started my first Morrowind playthrough in four years or something. Never really tried any leveling overhauls (GCD and the like), but now I'm using MCC Leveller - and boy, does it improve the game. Not having to plan out your skill increases just to get optimal attribute multipliers at level ups feels great. Also, skills now lead to multiple attribute increases; e.g. spears will increase both your strength, speed and agility to a certain degree.

trimethylsilyl

Educated
I usually do that by not planning out my skill increases.
You have to be pretty desperate to do that in Morrowind.
Sure, I don't actually go into the game trying to minmax, but the system is in itself broken, and mods improve that tremendously. As I said in my post I have never tried any mods like that before, even though I've played the game for 500 hours or so - so I haven't really been bothered by it before. However, when I play a mod that actually fixes it, I see how broken it is.

Codexlurker

Savant
Started my first Morrowind playthrough in four years or something. Never really tried any leveling overhauls (GCD and the like), but now I'm using MCC Leveller - and boy, does it improve the game. Not having to plan out your skill increases just to get optimal attribute multipliers at level ups feels great. Also, skills now lead to multiple attribute increases; e.g. spears will increase both your strength, speed and agility to a certain degree.
I never took min-maxing in Morrowind seriously. I mean in a few levels you'll be able to wreck everything except maybe Gaenor.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Min-maxing in Morrowind is probably the most pointless thing ever. If a skill sounds interesting, just go ahead and pick it. Every build is viable, some just let you become a god a bit earlier than others.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Gaynor just reflects all magic and has artificially high luck so that he's hard to hit. He's a joke character. That crazy Dunmer bitch with her special arrows is tougher than him.

Almalexia's Hands, Helseth and his guards are more fun to kill.

trimethylsilyl

Educated
Min-maxing in Morrowind is probably the most pointless thing ever. If a skill sounds interesting, just go ahead and pick it. Every build is viable, some just let you become a god a bit earlier than others.
That doesn't stop people from doing it. You should take a look at every Morrowind thread on /v/, there are regular posters there who literally get angry when they see people pick skills that aren't viable for minmax builds.

Gaenor isn't even a tiny bit fun to kill, he's just tedious.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
That doesn't stop people from doing it. You should take a look at every Morrowind thread on /v/, there are regular posters there who literally get angry when they see people pick skills that aren't viable for minmax builds.

Gaenor isn't even a tiny bit fun to kill, he's just tedious.

You're talking about Reddit. I haven't seen anything on v about Morrowind other than constant bashing, as it should be. Stop trying to hide your true nature.

trimethylsilyl

Educated
You're talking about Reddit. I haven't seen anything on v about Morrowind other than constant bashing, as it should be. Stop trying to hide your true nature.
I've never been on Reddit except for occasionally reading up on Warband mods. Nice projecting though. /v/ threads about Morrowind are 50% false flagging with the same MISS MISS MISS .webms, 30% elitism about minmaxing builds and 20% lore talk with Trainwiz being the main contributor.

MWaser

Arbiter
I never took min-maxing in Morrowind seriously. I mean in a few levels you'll be able to wreck everything except maybe Gaenor.
I wonder if you can actually beat him when using all those rebalancing mods people recommend (like BTB's mods). The way I see it Gaenor is really just a test to see how much you're able to break the game through alchemy and the like.
Gaynor just reflects all magic and has artificially high luck so that he's hard to hit. He's a joke character. That crazy Dunmer bitch with her special arrows is tougher than him.

Ya'll forgetting the best superboss of the game: Gedna Relvel with her bugged health. I had quite some fun beating her at level 34.
Also if you do have a strong character build it's definitely possible to defeat Gaynor without alchemy abuse, it's just obnoxious because of the miss chances.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
The last time I seriously played Morrowind was probably 2004-2005. Zero mods, both expansion packs. Completed all guild quests + House Telvanni + all 3 main plot lines, found most (if not all) artifacts, had like 300 hours on my save file.

I didn't know about the alchemy exploit back then, so it was just an honest to god maxed out character, 100 in everything, best gear (that bear skull helmet, savior's cuirass, etc), Dunmer.

So after I completed the Tribunal quest line I went back to Almalexia's temple. So ok, she's gone, but her body guards are still standing there. Hmm, let's do this.

All I could see on my screen is my character doing his best to try to get up from the floor but still failing under the flurry of blows dished out by those demi-gods.

Almalexia's Hands don't fuck around. They could rule the whole Tamriel if they wanted to.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
By the by, there's a legit way of getting permanent over 100 stats/skills in Morrowind that I knew back then. First, you max out everything, then become a vampire. IIRC you could get like 140 in some stats which is p awesome. But... you get attacked on sight by most NPCs as a vampire, so there isn't much point. Might as well use the alchemy exploit.

Rpgsaurus Rex

Same-ish, early 2000s and no mods barring the official ones that shipped with the game. Beat Tribunal MQ and thought it was meh; the dungeon felt empty af, boss had a lot of HP but that was that. Got to the Bloodmoon island and dropped - just more of same; too anticlimactic after the Dagoth-Ur face-off.

Could never get into it again. Morrowind a game you properly experience once and once only, then the magic is lost.

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
The werewolf mechanic in Solstheim was incredible for morrowind. It's a shame skyrim could never compare to the real thing in morrowind. Those nightmares and then runs through the woods in first person, with the canine vision and incredible speed was amazing. I never understood why Bethesda removed the dialogue and cutscenes attached to the werewolf and vampire transitions in previous games. Those were great for immersion.

MWaser

Arbiter
Could never get into it again. Morrowind a game you properly experience once and once only, then the magic is lost.
I'd say Morrowind can definitely be experienced multiple times if you're the kind of person who enjoys trying out different character builds. Sure, the game gets very samey for most characters by the endgame as they all become death incarnates equipped with a ton of artifacts, but the early game can vary quite a bit.

I will say though that the early game of Morrowind is a tedium to get through, if only because of the ungodly slow default movement speed combined with constant fatigue drain if you're running making it so that getting anywhere not only takes forever, but leaves you unable to fight afterwards. It gets better for quite a long time though after the initial grind.

Jugashvili

管官的官
Patron
Codex 2013
I will say though that the early game of Morrowind is a tedium to get through, if only because of the ungodly slow default movement speed combined with constant fatigue drain if you're running making it so that getting anywhere not only takes forever, but leaves you unable to fight afterwards.

That's what those cheap restore fatigue potions are for, might as well pop them while you're low-level since the early game is the only part that is even remotely challenging from a gameplay perspective.

MWaser

Arbiter
final dungeon of bloodmoon and tribunal can be pretty damn challenging if your character build isn't sufficiently OP

but yes, other than that the early game is the most challenging part, and also the slowest

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom