Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Yet Another Morrowind Thread

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
Yes, it is a hideous game, down to the very source code, and it only gets uglier with graphics overhauls. The only thing that can motivate me to reinstall are major updates from Tamriel Rebuilt.

If you're set on playing again, your best experience is going to be Open Morrowind. If they're still developing. Also, I can send you a list of what mods are good, its a short list, and I've made content mergers for assets from big mods. It helps to declutter shit, and keep your browsing time minimal.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
If you're set on playing again, your best experience is going to be Open Morrowind. If they're still developing. Also, I can send you a list of what mods are good, its a short list, and I've made content mergers for assets from big mods. It helps to declutter shit, and keep your browsing time minimal.
What's your opinion on this modding guide?

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
I mean this was 2002. The same year NOLF 2 was released, and honestly that game looked light years ahead of Morrowind assets quality wise. No excuse really.
Yes, but in the early 2000's first-person shooters were spearheading the evolution of 3D graphics. RPGs never came even close to them, and Morrowind was about as good as it got.

I think vanilla Morrowind still looks pretty good despite some wonky animations and weird character models. Especially the environments are perfectly fine, and the game's got some really nice art direction. Different tastes, I guess.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
At a glance, they're missing delayed dark brotherhood attack ring mod (essential, so you never need to bother w/ Tribunal), freelancer (let's you do some guild quests freelance), antares NPC animations, the official mods compilation (earn drakes by entertaining at the Balmora bar, all based on your stats and inventory), stunted athlete and acrobatic (all important: these skills won't level without training), and RAMF & BAMF (races have utility, birth signs have utility).

Looks like it'll take a two day to install and tweak, but those are some nice textures. I never used the body or face mods, because I couldn't find good compatible armors, and rigging armors to the vanilla skeleton was faster. Maybe there are good armors, now. Replacer faces are just eerie Bottom line is, unless you're looking at something all the time, you don't need detailed textures.

Also, ignore anything for Bloodmoon and Tribunal, unless its a mod that claims to stop NPCs from talking about Solstheim. Keep them installed, if you've got them, just stay away from them. They suck the worst of Morrowind's gameplay, and if you've lost interest in Vvardenfell, those "quests" won't offer anything for you. You're done.

Finally, here's the newest openmw. Its stable and runs great, does all the fixing and mechanics, and I think there's a distant land patch at the hub site. Very much labor free, but you'll want texture packs.
Especially the environments are perfectly fine, and the game's got some really nice art direction. Different tastes, I guess.
Yes, art direction spared it from feeling too doll house, and most of these graphics overhauls, with their hi-res faces and no-fog, have the opposite effect intended.

Last edited by a moderator:
Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Yes, but in the early 2000's first-person shooters were spearheading the evolution of 3D graphics. RPGs never came even close to them, and Morrowind was about as good as it got.

I think vanilla Morrowind still looks pretty good despite some wonky animations and weird character models. Especially the environments are perfectly fine, and the game's got some really nice art direction. Different tastes, I guess.
I mean just look at this fucker. Look at his belt, the fuck is that UV map. Look at his crotch, is that thing a diaper? And the face is just a very low res photo. Hopw is thy name!
oeQVjha.jpg

Now compare it to a game released exactly the same year:
nolf-2-cate-4.jpg

Last edited:

roll-a-die

Magister
Weren't the Chimer just an offshoot of the Altmer? The only surviving full Chimer that you can see in the games is Almalexia and yeah she looks just like your average High Elf/Altmer. Golden skin/eyes, tall af.

But yeah it's p cool how the story writers just took your common high fantasy races (elves, drow, orcs, dwarves, etc) and turned them into these 'mer' peoples, each with their own history and evolution. There's a bit too many of them though: Altmer, Dunmer, Chimer, Bosmer, Dwemer, Orsimer, Falmer, etc.
So, deviation of the Mer. At the beginning of time, there was the Aldmer or the first ones. They were the direct descendents of the Ehlnofey, or Earth Bones. Who in turn were descendants of the Aedra. There were 2 varieties of Ehlnofey, Wandering and Old. They also were space aliens. Basically their planet exploded at somepoint and dumped them here, some one at a time, some on a large chunk of their planet they then fortified. Eventually, the wandering ones found the old ones, and they went to war, because the old ones had more power due to remnants of their "planet" or plane, but the wandering ones had more strength and numbers, due to fucking like rabbits out in the wild and struggling to survive. The wandering ones came to be the ancestors of Man, having traveled far and wide, and spread their bones and roots everywhere. Where the Old ones came to be the Aldmer and the mer, cloistered and secure in lands they shaped for themselves. The war that these Ehlnofey took part in carved the continents as they are out. In relative order of importance in modern days, Tamriel, Akavir, Pyandonea, Atmora, and Yokuda.

So having said all that, we'll focus on the old Ehlnofey. They eventually became Aldmer, these vanished in the Merethic era. Also called the Mythic Era, or the Age of Elves by the Nords. Because also at this point, the beast peoples were elves, Betmer. Dunno where they came from. But I'd imagine it's because the Nedes, and Nords tend to call anything not like them Mer. During the Merethic period, Nords arrived, Nedes started to prosper, and in High Rock, there was a tower redescovered and Nedes breeding with Mer, and creating half-breeds eventually known as the Breton. A lot of focus was on these towers Summerset Isle had one, High Rock had one(Adamantine), the Aylieds had one(White Gold.) So the Altmer started to form, staying in Summerset Isle, and doing their best to stay in the form of Chrysalis by the Convention. Essentially the Merethic is where a lot of the REHEHEHEALLY weird stuff happened in myth. But most importantly the devision of Nedes, Nords, Men, and Mer started to form. Because of cultural divisions and the whole changing of races to suit their environment that happens in Tamriel. There was space travel during the Merethic. People dove into the Aetherius, and returned with magical materials that made no sense.

I said all that so you can understand that it's not just a willy nilly we're going to make fantasy races into weird new things. But a rather distinct history, of a world.

Alright onwards to why the elves actually started to deviate. Religion, was involved. See, the Aylied as they died out left a power gap. Which was eventually taken up by the Nords who evolved into Imperials. And as they lived the Aylied blocked a lot of people from traveling through their lands. So them being Cyrodiil meant that for awhile, these places were seperate. The Aldmer having split off and started to form clans even before the Aylieds and the *sighs* Dragons, started cutting off trade. The Dwemer began to appear, they had been a reclusive clan of Aldmer, who started messing with the Aetherius and the remains of the Ehlnofey very early on. And they set up in the Velothi mountains which separate Skyrim and Morrowind in modern days. Forming Freeholds and underground cities and generally doing a LOT of science. The chimer, were a very long lived clan of Aldmer, who had followed their Prophet, Veloth, out of the Aldmeri homelands where they had been since the time of Old Ehlnofey. Trinimac, and his own followers, a warrior cult, attempted to halt the Chimer, and so a god tricked Trinimac, a hero of the Aldmer, and a dogmatic one at that, into it's mouth, and essentially inverted his soul, turning him inside out.

Reality is mutable in TES lore. So when that happened to Trinimac, and when the Daedra, Boethiah, and Mephala, began teaching the Tri-Angled Truth. Forming the Psijic Endeavor, and how to reach Chim to the Chimer and Veloths followers, They did this through Trinimacs voice. Leading the people who followed Trinimac to become Pariah. For their Heretical teachings they were branded with the name Orsimer. Or literally the Pariah folk. Eventually, Saint Veloth, led his people to Resdaynia, or Morrowind. Where they settled and started to follow a practice of worshipping both Daedra, Aedra and the other Ancestors. These Chimer, were still, Aldmer, up until the splitting of the heart and the betrayal cast them as Dunmer.

TL;dr: When they talk about Dwemer, Altmer, Chimer, Bosmer and the Proto-orsimer. They are talking about clans of Aldmeri who split off into distinct units and began to settle differing areas. All descendants of the Old Ehlnofey. The only reason they became so distinct were because the mutability of Mundas allowed them to adapt to their environments, or interfering gods, Like Azura, or Boethiah changed them. They only became completely distinct when they began calling themselves something different from Aldmer, and started calling themselves such.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
They also were space aliens. Basically their planet exploded at somepoint and dumped them here, some one at a time, some on a large chunk of their planet they then fortified. Eventually, the wandering ones found the old ones, and they went to war, because the old ones had more power due to remnants of their "planet" or plane,
This is actually bullshit my friend, or something highly c0daic.

Which was eventually taken up by the Nords who evolved into Imperials.
This is, again, bullshit, you fucking Nordic imperialist.

Your knowledge is very shallow.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Anyway, all this shit falls directly into Our Elves Are Better.
That page actually has a p good section on TES/Morrowind races:
In The Elder Scrolls, the elves are known as the races of Mer. All descend from a Precursor race known as the Aldmer (Old or First Elves) who are said to have come to Tamriel from the lost continent of Aldmeris. The Aldmer split apart into distinct sub-races during the earliest eras of Tamriellic history, typically over religious differences. All of the races of Mer are generally humanoid in shape and appearance, but all have traits outside the normal range for humans, including unusual skin tones, Pointy Ears, mildly elongated skulls, and angular facial features. Most are known to be Long Lived in comparison to the races of Men, with average lifespans lasting several centuries and extreme examples lasting 1000 years or more (though most of these examples have used magic to extend their lives). They also have an Immortal Procreation Clause, typically producing fewer offspring than the races of Men, and it is implied that there is a maximum number of children that any Mer woman can bear, with few having more than three. Each race of Mer believes themselves to be a Superior Species to the other races of Mer, and ALL believe themselves to be superior to the races of Men, leading to much Cultural Posturing. Additionally, each race of Mer has traits, beliefs, and practices which come across as very alien to a human observer. Ranges from being played completely straight to Downplayed, but is extant within almost every race.

roll-a-die

Magister
They also were space aliens. Basically their planet exploded at somepoint and dumped them here, some one at a time, some on a large chunk of their planet they then fortified. Eventually, the wandering ones found the old ones, and they went to war, because the old ones had more power due to remnants of their "planet" or plane,
This is actually bullshit my friend, or something highly c0daic.

Which was eventually taken up by the Nords who evolved into Imperials.
This is, again, bullshit, you fucking Nordic imperialist.

Your knowledge is very shallow.
ESO is canon bro. Also read Annotated Anuad.

Also meant to say Nedes and Nords there. I don't really find the new lore for humans as interesting as the space alien proto-elves though.

I also trimmed a lot of stuff for a bit of brevity, and tried to move quick through what is a complex portion of the Lore. I didn't talk about the Aldmer space programs nearly as long as I wanted too.

Last edited:

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
ESO is canon bro
Quote me some space elves.

Also read Annotated Anuad.
Annotated Anuad is a fucking children's tale mate. It does not fit any established TES mythos by itself, its streamlined for an Imperial citizen of late 3rd era.

Also meant to say Nedes and Nords there.
This is a big fucking difference mate, and this is not the only mistake you made in your wall of text.

I didn't talk about the Aldmer space programs nearly as long as I wanted too.
First of all, Altmer had space programs if anything, not Aldmer (these Aldmer may not even fucking have existed as far as we know). Second of all, aren't you confusing them with Reman Empire...?

roll-a-die

Magister
ESO is canon bro
Quote me some space elves.

Also read Annotated Anuad.
Annotated Anuad is a fucking children's tale mate. It does not fit any established TES mythos by itself, its streamlined for an Imperial citizen of late 3rd era.

Also meant to say Nedes and Nords there.
This is a big fucking difference mate, and this is not the only mistake you made in your wall of text.

I didn't talk about the Aldmer space programs nearly as long as I wanted too.
First of all, Altmer had space programs if anything, not Aldmer (these Aldmer may not even fucking have existed as far as we know). Second of all, aren't you confusing them with Reman Empire...?
For space, there's a fun post over at reddit, with some sources, like the fact that Yagrum mentions having gone to space. https://www.reddit.com/r/teslore/co..._lore_support_future_technologies_if/ca91emv/

The Sunbirds of Alinor likely occured during the Merethic where the Aldmer still ruled or lived in Summerset. And were along side the Reman Empires works in space travel.

Magna-Ge, the children of magnus, and magnus himself, the other form of the Et-Eda other than Aedra and Daedra were said to have created the sun and stars through trying to breach through Oblivion into the Aetherius. And are literally called the STAR ORPHANS in the exegesis at very least.

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Exegesis_of_Merid-Nunda

Literally all magic comes from space. Because magic is the emanations of Magnus.

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/The_Monomyth

And yes I make mistakes in that text. I wrote it in like 15 minutes while waking up. Thank you for pointing them out.

Vorark

Erudite
Elves :argh:

TES has an interesting lore but only Morrowind tried to capitalize on it, which is a fucking shame.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
Popiel, most of the "bullshit" you quoted is a barely serviceable synopsis of the Anuad and Before The Ages of Man, early design docs released between Redguard and Morrowind, then became books.

Codatards take it all way too seriously; they think they're Michelangelo but they're just paint by numbers. They can't create original things themselves, so they pick from dev ideas or hazy lore what they like, and mutate it into mumbo jumbo.

roll-a-die

Magister
As it is, I have a barely passing familiarity with the lore, and a love of the weird shit from around the time of Morrowind, before they tried to make things more "Sane."

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
For space, there's a fun post over at reddit, with some sources, like the fact that Yagrum mentions having gone to space. https://www.reddit.com/r/teslore/co..._lore_support_future_technologies_if/ca91emv/

The Sunbirds of Alinor likely occured during the Merethic where the Aldmer still ruled or lived in Summerset. And were along side the Reman Empires works in space travel.

Yes, it is a known fact that space (unclaimed Oblivion) exists in TES universe, and is governed/oversaw by Nocturnal, that it is traversable and people did it through ages – most notably mankind during the Reman "I'm The Motherfuckind Land Incarnate" Cyrodiil and mananautic voyages that he started. But that does not mean that elves, or old elves, or even fucking Ehlnofey, come from space.

Magna-Ge, the children of magnus, and magnus himself, the other form of the Et-Eda other than Aedra and Daedra were said to have created the sun and stars through trying to breach through Oblivion into the Aetherius. And are literally called the STAR ORPHANS in the exegesis at very least.

Literally all magic comes from space. Because magic is the emanations of Magnus.

How is that relevant to what we are talking about?

TES universe follow Neoplatonic/Gnostic model of creation, sort of – life comes by emanation and devolution of the divine. First et’Ada, those who decided to sacrifice themselves to form the world, are called the Aedra, “Our Ancestors” in (Old) Ehlnofex. They are literally ancestors of all that lives, be it elves, men, animals of plants – old Ehlnofey were less generations apart from the divine progenitors than elves are now. That’s why Altmer are batshit crazy about racial purity, trading semen and keeping their bloodlines clean – that’s not because they are random fucking Nazis, but because in TESverse purer you are, closer you are to the divine spark that created the world. That’s why alchemy is possible and all things can be used as alchemical ingredients – everything that exists comes from the divine.

Popiel, most of the "bullshit" you quoted is a barely serviceable synopsis of the Anuad and Before The Ages of Man, early design docs released between Redguard and Morrowind, then became books.

Codatards take it all way too seriously; they think they're Michelangelo but they're just paint by numbers. They can't create original things themselves, so they pick from dev ideas or hazy lore what they like, and mutate it into mumbo jumbo.
Kirkbridean mumbo jumbo is fun and dandy, that's the genetic code of this series – but it must be coherent.

roll-a-die

Magister

Yes, it is a known fact that space (unclaimed Oblivion) exists in TES universe, and is governed/oversaw by Nocturnal, that it is traversable and people did it through ages – most notably mankind during the Reman "I'm The Motherfuckind Land Incarnate" Cyrodiil and mananautic voyages that he started. But that does not mean that elves, or old elves, or even fucking Ehlnofey, come from space.

How is that relevant to what we are talking about?

TES universe follow Neoplatonic/Gnostic model of creation, sort of – life comes by emanation and devolution of the divine. First et’Ada, those who decided to sacrifice themselves to form the world, are called the Aedra, “Our Ancestors” in (Old) Ehlnofex. They are literally ancestors of all that lives, be it elves, men, animals of plants – old Ehlnofey were less generations apart from the divine progenitors than elves are now. That’s why Altmer are batshit crazy about racial purity, trading semen and keeping their bloodlines clean – that’s not because they are random fucking Nazis, but because in TESverse purer you are, closer you are to the divine spark that created the world. That’s why alchemy is possible and all things can be used as alchemical ingredients – everything that exists comes from the divine.

Kirkbridean mumbo jumbo is fun and dandy, that's the genetic code of this series – but it must be coherent.
https://www.imperial-library.info/content/pocket-guide-empire-third-edition-magic-aetherius

Except Aetherius is quite different from unclaimed Oblivion. And the Mananauts and Sunbirds were going THERE not into Unclaimed Oblivion. Not disagreeing with anything your saying, just saying, two distinct things.

And I understand the concepts that went into the creation of the universe. I was attempting to give an explanation of the history, as I knew it. And why Elves have so many different types, why they are distinct now, and weren't before. The answer to that was that Daedra typically injected change. Or in the case of the Altmer and Dwemer, descent through genetics and drifting further from the divine, and scientific self mutation to attempt to regain the divine. Not sure about the Maormer, and haven't read much about the Falmer, so I can't tell you what changed those other than maybe, the same type of stuff.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Except Aetherius is quite different from unclaimed Oblivion. And the Mananauts and Sunbirds were going THERE not into Unclaimed Oblivion. Not disagreeing with anything your saying, just saying, two distinct things.
Aetherius indeed is something else than Oblivion, but to reach it mananauts and Alinori sunbirds needed to go through space, to reach the stars and through them enter Aetherius.

And I understand the concepts that went into the creation of the universe. I was attempting to give an explanation of the history, as I knew it. And why Elves have so many different types, why they are distinct now, and weren't before. The answer to that was that Daedra typically injected change. Or in the case of the Altmer and Dwemer, descent through genetics and drifting further from the divine, and scientific self mutation to attempt to regain the divine. Not sure about the Maormer, and haven't read much about the Falmer, so I can't tell you what changed those other than maybe, the same type of stuff.
I always liked idea of Aldmeris not as a place, physical land where in the beginning all mer lived as one, but of Aldmeris as an idea. One elven idea, which then was lost because it was broken. First by the Dwemer most probably, then by the Chimer. Ayleid, Altmer, early Bosmer, Direnni Altmer, Falmer and Maormer are I think genetically identical, same with the Dwemer perhaps, they are separated by culture, philosophy and belief, and these things can shape flesh in TES universe. Ones that are truly different are the Dunmer, present Bosmer, Orcs obviously, present Falmer, and present Khajiit, if you buy the theory that they were once elves.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected

Sure, he's a genius, drops acid and all that, and Kirkbride's good when he's world building, but otherwise stinking preposterous.

I've started a new character recently and I wanted to use Marksman as my main combat skill since I had never really used Bows in Morrowind much before. Is this going to be a decent build or should I start over and at least pick short blade as a support skill.

http://imgur.com/a/sySlF

MWaser

Arbiter
Solo bows will probably get you killed in the early game in Morrowind. I did a Morrowind run recently and used Marksmanship for the first time, and in my opinion Marksmanship is really only worth it once you start grabbing the Dwarven Darts from Tribunal's Centurion Archers, otherwise bows and arrows are decent-ish if you grab a good bow quick (the arrow damage helps but matters much less) but due to the way hit percentages work and damage you deal relative to most enemy's health not having any melee weapons means you won't have any kind of respectable DPS and you'll be running out of projectiles way too high in any kind of dungeon areas. Even wandering in the wilderness you'll run out of arrows shooting Cliffracers.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I've started a new character recently and I wanted to use Marksman as my main combat skill since I had never really used Bows in Morrowind much before. Is this going to be a decent build or should I start over and at least pick short blade as a support skill.

Start over and pick short blade (or any other melee weapon) as a major skill, bump unarmored down to a minor skill, and move hand-to-hand from minor to miscellaneous.

DraQ

Arcane

Marksman weapons have problems in cramped interiors (especially caves). Ballistic arc + low, uneven ceiling + coarse collision volumes = shit.
Also mind the fact that you can't use a bow when something jumps you suddenly - it needs to be drawn for any sort of damage and range.
Crossbows are inexplicably weaker than bows in MW but they have three chief advantages:
  • They can be fired instantly with full effectiveness.
  • The bolts have much shorter travel time, making it easier to hit moving target.
  • They have flatter arc.
In short, bows are much better sniper weapons, crossbows are much better personal defence weapons - of course, you may consider carrying both or some funky combination like crossbow (dwemer once you can find one) enchanted with bound bow when used for versatility.
Still, you will probably need some backup. I would consider some weapon skill (and downgrading HtH to misc) or bumping up HtH to major - HtH is tedious at lower levels as it needs to drain stamina first and then does only piddling damage, OTOH HtH damage DOES scale up heavily with skill, HtH attacks are very fast allowing for reliable stunlocking (once you can hit reliably), HtH allows for non-lethal combat in situations you want it to and it synergizes well with illusion (paralyzed targets can be hit right in the HPs right away, invisibility and calm expands non-lethal strategies, invisibility allows for sneak attacks that KO quite effectively) - in short HtH is something you need as high as possible ASAP or not at all.

I probably wouldn't bother that much with unarmored unless going for very limited armor coverage - you will inevitably be using it a bit when playing as beastfolk, but it mostly just takes up a slot.

Thanks for all the advice, guys!
I decided to start over after all and I switched to Khajit just so i can have that extra bit of min/maxing. I like Argonians more but that will have to be for a different build.
This is my new set of skills
http://imgur.com/a/kRtrF

Maybe having both Acrobatics and Athletics as Majors might not be the best thing to do but I don't really care that much because I want to go fast and I want to jump high and I want to do those things ASAP

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom