Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Yet Another Morrowind Thread

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Ash vampires were supposed to be Dunmer, no?

They look like Dunmer to me.

pMgip9Q.png

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
I guess the beard is the thing that was tipping me off.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Why do a lot of the "Dagoth ___" look like dwemer?
200px-Dwemergeist.png
This might be a spoiler for you at this point in the game, but if you keep playing and pay attention to the lore
Dagoth Ur and the rest of House Dagoth were corrupted by the Heart of Lorkhan into recapitulating the "doomed Dwemer's folly", in similar fashion to how the three members of the Tribunal were corrupted into using the heart to become semi-deities (likely after betraying and murdering Nerevar). Thus, the high-ranking members of House Dagoth largely reside in Dwemer ruins, have adopted Dwemer styles, and Dagoth Ur even wears a Dwemer-style mask, while his master plan relies on completing Akulakhan or Second Numidium, following the original plans of the Dwemer.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
funny how they basically recycled daggerfall's plot and nobody gave a fuck because the game's not about story anyway

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Or you can mod it tastefuly like i did
Care to share mods list and settings ?

google for morrowind step wiki, i used that

as for settings in mgxe, use standard settings and during land generation use 25% grass.

Distant land use 2-5 which is vanilla settings, which retains the foggy feel, advanced fog settings is nice, don't use per pixel shader because it tanks fps.

This might be a spoiler for you at this point in the game, but if you keep playing and pay attention to the lore
Dagoth Ur and the rest of House Dagoth were corrupted by the Heart of Lorkhan into recapitulating the "doomed Dwemer's folly", in similar fashion to how the three members of the Tribunal were corrupted into using the heart to become semi-deities (likely after betraying and murdering Nerevar). Thus, the high-ranking members of House Dagoth largely reside in Dwemer ruins, have adopted Dwemer styles, and Dagoth Ur even wears a Dwemer-style mask, while his master plan relies on completing Akulakhan or Second Numidium, following the original plans of the Dwemer.

Mind blown. I thought that was just House Dagoth's aesthetic, borrowed from the dwemer since their races were allied for a little while before Nerevar went MAXIMUM HERESY on them.

edit: http://www.funnyjunk.com/Oblivion/funny-pictures/5191303/154#154

Well I've played Oblivion on my 360 it's what got me into the series too, I'd already fallen in love with Fallout 3 and I was looking for more of Bethesda's work when I found Oblivion, however I STRONGLY recommend never try to play Morrowind, everyone says how great it was but when I picked it up on Xbox I was shocked...

NO VOICE ACTING!?! WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK?

But I've logged over 3000 hours over Oblivion (360) Fallout 3 (360) Fallout: NV (360, PC) & Skyrim (360, PC)

Last edited:

roll-a-die

Magister
Some sources in the game state that the House Dagoth were also turncoats and the Dwemeri Allies in the Chimer-Dwemer war, and House Dagoth had a strong support structure embedded with them when the Dwemer all vanished. Given the spoopiness of the events and the general avoidence of Dwemer ruins by all but the outcasts of society. The ruins of their former allies now left abandoned would likely make for a good place to bed up and plot the demise of gods come 2nd Era when big man D returned.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado

We really need a "mind blow" rating for these kind of posts, holy shit.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Weren't the Chimer just an offshoot of the Altmer? The only surviving full Chimer that you can see in the games is Almalexia and yeah she looks just like your average High Elf/Altmer. Golden skin/eyes, tall af.

But yeah it's p cool how the story writers just took your common high fantasy races (elves, drow, orcs, dwarves, etc) and turned them into these 'mer' peoples, each with their own history and evolution. There's a bit too many of them though: Altmer, Dunmer, Chimer, Bosmer, Dwemer, Orsimer, Falmer, etc.

Another fun fact: the 'mer' races used to have a unique body type in Morrowind. Just take a look at all the races without any clothes on, all the mer's have different rib cages, different muscle structure, etc. They streamlined all body types (even the beasts) to just male and female starting with Oblivion, which was a shame.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
Ash vampires were supposed to be Dunmer, no?

They look like Dunmer to me.
The Sixth House are corprus: or what if acid mutated your genes. (the zombie ones are just that, zombies, not true 6H) The Dagoths are about as far from Dunmer as physically possible, without going full-on Elder Things. They do have the skin and red eyes, but they're something else entirely...

latest

What if corprus is the accumulated and physically communicable consciousness of the Dwemer? The "Divine Skin" [disease].

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
aeropile, "You think what you do has meaning? You think you slay me, and I am dead? It is just dream and waking over and over, one appearance after another, nothing real. What you do here means nothing. Why do we waste our breath on you?"

But yeah, it's never really explained in the game why the Sixth House members look so different from your common corprus victim which is more like a zombie/radiation victim, I mean why do they look like Cthulhu parodies and expand your brain memes. Is it the heart's magic? But then again why read into this so much, it's probably just rule of cool, I guess.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Almost, they are both descendants of the Aldmer.
Yeah I've seen that bit on the UESP wiki. Immediately thought, funny how you change a single letter and pretend it's an ancient ancestor race. "Original character do not steal" territory, pretty much.

Anyway, my point was that the Chimer seemed to look identical to the modern Altmer, so I guess lore wise this is the "original" look of the elves in this setting.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
aeropile, "You think what you do has meaning? You think you slay me, and I am dead? It is just dream and waking over and over, one appearance after another, nothing real. What you do here means nothing. Why do we waste our breath on you?"

But yeah, it's never really explained in the game why the Sixth House members look so different from your common corprus victim which is more like a zombie/radiation victim, I mean why do they look like Cthulhu parodies and expand your brain memes. Is it the heart's magic? But then again why read into this so much, it's probably just rule of cool, I guess.
If I ever have to guess, its rule of cool. Some concepts hint what they were thinking. Even finding those, and exhausting dialogues, corprus is one of the few mysteries Kirkbride didn't spoil. Its better this way, because in Tamriel, you stop counting after three.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
There was an interesting theory on Imperial Library about the trunks of Ascended Sleepers but I forgot the specifics.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
There was an interesting theory on Imperial Library about the trunks of Ascended Sleepers but I forgot the specifics.
Their trunks were supposed to be pipes. There's a fluty bark for them in the data files, but it wasn't assigned. If that's what you mean. Imperial Library's been dead for a good five years.

Oh, in case you ever wanted to roll a Nord, with awkward sphere centurion sword arms, here's a race I made once. I'm not sure if this is the final version, or just the nif. If the animations don't play, it isn't the final, and I've lost it. You should be able to see the arms in first and third person, just don't equip anything for hand slots, and you won't be a telekinetic paraplegic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I've seen that bit on the UESP wiki. Immediately thought, funny how you change a single letter and pretend it's an ancient ancestor race. "Original character do not steal" territory, pretty much.

Altmer supposedly go as far as doing controlled breeding in order to keep their lineages "pure", so the similarity is intentional on their part. Something tells me it works as well as it does in the real world. :M

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Reinstalled Morrowind because of all this talk.

Man, does the game look butt ugly. And I don't mean tech wise, but the actual assets quality. The UV maps have visible seams all over, the segmented bodies look like some weird puppets. And the animations are just... something else. Guess most of their artists back then were really green behind the ears. Pre-release screenshots look even worse though.

I mean this was 2002. The same year NOLF 2 was released, and honestly that game looked light years ahead of Morrowind assets quality wise. No excuse really.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Reinstalled Morrowind because of all this talk.

Man, does the game look butt ugly. And I don't mean tech wise, but the actual assets quality. The UV maps have visible seams all over, the segmented bodies look like some weird puppets. And the animations are just... something else. Guess most of their artists back then were really green behind the ears. Pre-release screenshots look even worse though.

I mean this was 2002. The same year NOLF 2 was released, and honestly that game looked light years ahead of Morrowind assets quality wise. No excuse really.

Gothic II already looks miles ahead of Morrowind. Personally I don't give a shit about the whole "but you can put on individual pieces of armor" crap, which is basically the cause of the segmented bodies. I'd rather have a proper armor progression system as opposed to the clusterfuck that was Morrowind's, which didn't make any sense at all (Chitin Armor is I think the best Light Armor for the majority of the game, if I'm not mistaken, and you get it in BALMORA for little coin).

I remember installing Gothic II after finishing Gothic and thinking "THIS LOOKS AMAZING". And it was last year, not 15 years ago. For Morrowind I simply use MGE XE and some nice weather mod that changes the lighting.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom