Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Yet Another Morrowind Thread

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
question about combat: do some weapons have solely 1 "move," e.g. thrust, overhead? Moving the mouse doesn't change my attack animation whatsoever.
You might have selected the option (in one of the game menus) to always use the attack option that causes the most damage with the weapon you are wielding. If you turn this option off, then you will begin a thrust when moving forward or backward, begin a chop when standing still, and begin a slash when moving laterally.

How were older Elder Scrolls titles different, with regard to the progression system, and what has changed w/ Oblivion and Skyrim (reduction to number of skills aside)?
In Daggerfall, when you had you advanced enough skills to gain a level, you would receive 4-6 points to distribute among your attributes as you desired, without any reference to which skills you had improved.

In Morrowind, this system was changed so that you now selected three of the eight attributes to increase at each level up, but each attribute would have a multiplier from 1 to 5 depending on how many skill increases you had received with those skills associated with each attribute (5 skills for strength, 3 for personality and endurance, 0 for luck, 4 for the other attributes). This referenced only those skill increases made since your last level up, encouraging metagaming so as to maximize the total amount of points added to your attributes at each level up, and could make it difficult to improve certain attributes.

Oblivion had the same system with the number of skills reduced to 21 from 27.

Skyrim eliminated attributes entirely, allowing the player to choose from either health, stamina, or magicka for an increase at each level up, and added a perk system.

Last edited:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Skyrim eliminated attributes entirely, allowing the player to choose from either health, stamina, or magicka for an increase at each level up, and added a perk system.

On top of this, and it HAS to be said, Skyrim let's you change birthsigns at will, and you can freely switch your build from one moment to another, as every skill levels up as the same speed, whereas Morrowind's skills level up slower or faster depending on their category (Major, Minor, Misc).

Last edited:

Ivan

Arcane
quick question: is there a way to keep track of which enemies are able to lower your attributes? sometimes I notice when it's too late (over encumbered). also, is there a way to restore attributes aside from potions? maybe altars?

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
quick question: is there a way to keep track of which enemies are able to lower your attributes? sometimes I notice when it's too late (over encumbered). also, is there a way to restore attributes aside from potions? maybe altars?

I think there's only one enemy that permanently removes your attributes, and that is the Greater Bonewalker. You can use altars, look for the Imperial Cult altars in the Legion Forts. You can also use some Temple shrines such as the shrine of St. Veloth (I believe).

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
All my characters have Restoration as minor skill.

52t1Htc.jpg

Ivan

Arcane
yeah. really glad i gave this a third try. pumping willpower is a must so that you can at the very least USE spells. once i got my speedy boots the game is much more enjoyable. dabbled with sidequests but most are just mmo fedex shit. the main quest is interesting. really enjoying it. still haven't found any awesome loot (long blade) yet.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
still haven't found any awesome loot (long blade) yet.
You can find one in Balmora and another a short distance from Suran. :M
There's a Sword of White Woe on top of a closet in the Eastern Guard Tower of Balmora.

In Suran, people will offer rumors about an Orc in the Ashlands to the east of the city. He carries the unique sword, Umbra.
If you haven't already downloaded the free mods distributed by Bethesda after the game's release, I recommend you do that, in particular the Propylon Master Index mod, which allows you another means of transportation after completing a series of quests.

Also, make sure to join at least two guilds/factions, preferably three, in addition to pursuing the main quest.

Ivan

Arcane
travel is not a problem anymore. I've joined the mage, fighter, and thief guilds. as per the main quest, I have to unite the 3 houses or something. much of the eastern part of the map is still undiscovered.

found a sword: Fury. just haven't found a sword that does 30+ dmg yet.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Just raid a couple of Derpdric ruins for good loot.

Also p. sure you get Magebane in Urshilaku burial cavern.

Imperial Cult/Imperial Legion have lots of interesting quests with good rewards too.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
will do more sidequesting/xploring.

also, any quest that has me go to Vivec
:0-13:

Luckily a lot of the quests of Vivec are self-contained in Vivec (given by Vivec citizens, that is, and completed in Vivec).

One thing I like to do in Morrowind is walk everywhere as opposed to fast travelling. It's kind of boring, but it feels like I'm cheating whenever I fast travel. Mostly because it is instantaneous.

wwsd

Arcane
Vatnik
I thought I'd start playing again. No need to reinstall this time, thankfully. But some mods, like Tamriel Rebuilt, have new versions.

Also, after years of avoiding any and all graphics mods, I figured I should try this MGE thing. Now I finally have a computer that, without pulling off anything amazing, at least makes it worthwhile. I got MGE XE and have been tweaking for a while. I use Distant Land while keeping it on the lower side. I don't want to turn it into Oblivion with cliffracers while exposing how small the world really is. Rather, the idea is to turn it into MW without white fog obscuring everything beyond 50m. To be able to see mountains and towers looming in the distance without spoiling every tiny detail and revealing half the island.

It's pretty nice in general, and I've managed to reduce most of the pop-up, but sometimes there's still weird stuff like the mid sections of towers disappearing. There's also this, which I haven't been able to trace:

rRlR4mH.jpg

Anyone know if this is related to any particular setting, or could it be anything? This stuff is basically new to me, so I'm glad I've got it running and these are the only problems. But it still looks kind of dumb.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
One thing I like to do in Morrowind is walk everywhere as opposed to fast travelling. It's kind of boring, but it feels like I'm cheating whenever I fast travel. Mostly because it is instantaneous.
But Morrowind has one of the best fast travel systems in any game, and it's also integrated into the game extremely well. Mastering the system step by step and eventually being able to move from one side of the island to another in an instant really gives you a sense of growth in power, and it's just one of the ways Morrowind sucks you into its world — it's a game where memorizing bus routes is actually a thing, and you learn that stuff without really having to even think of it. By ignoring the fast travel options you're kind of missing out on some of the coolest aspects of the game, and this comes from someone who absolutely hates the instant teleportation of recent Bethesda titles and other modern open-world games.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Anyone know if this is related to any particular setting, or could it be anything? This stuff is basically new to me, so I'm glad I've got it running and these are the only problems. But it still looks kind of dumb.
I'd suggest trying MGSO (Morrowind Graphics & Sound Overhaul) which incorporates MGE. It will take a few minutes to set up the options, but it's even better than MGE, and when I installed it I encountered only one minor problem (a certain object wasn't properly loading its graphics, causing it to appear as a bright-yellow blob; this was easily fixed by determining the name of the object and deleting the corresponding mesh and/or texture from the data files, restoring it to the original graphics).

Caim

Arcane
That feel when you realize the Propylon Network forms a wheel around the island and you can use this to rapidly teleport around.

NeoKino

RPGCodex Ninja
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
I use a combination of Class Abilities, Racial powers, Racial Diversity, BTB Character mods for my game in order to give ample customization to my toons characters and enemy npc's as well when you allow npc's to cast powers through MCP.

Here a link to the mods:

http://mw.modhistory.com/download-71-12566
http://mw.modhistory.com/download-1-12696
http://mw.modhistory.com/download-71-15181

You must use testool object merge feature in order for it to work but the results are amazing. NPC humans actually feel like a threat with their many cheap o cast powers while class abilities give you more customization to your character making running a monk build viable. I tried it with the birthsigns and races are more overpowered fun mods as well, but they just made the pc character stronger with an assortment of cheap powers to spam and buffs lowering difficulty.

Custom Classes is another nice mod as well, It improves the NPC classes to make them much more of a threat, combine it with NPC mages magicka regen for "challenging" battles.

http://mw.modhistory.com/download-20-15433

I don't run my game with graphic or texture mods other than UI improvements cause IDGAF about waifu's and I also use a combo of Morrowind Comes Alive 8.2 plus Starfires NPC mod to flood my game filled with niggers. I use Piratelords creature, Arcimaestros Undead, That other niggers Undead mod, Creature Additions mods, G.I.A.N.T.S creatures, Golems, and Atronarch Expansion to give me more things to kill, lore be damned.

BTB and Morrowind Advance for balance with Hotfusion economy modifiers, and Tamriel Rebuilt cause I played morrowind eleventy gazillion times and need new content bad.

As for MGE XE I only use it for draw distances so I can snipe with my stealth archer better (Great with the projectile rebalance mod).

TL;DR Typical Modder.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
I realize Turdunal is supposed to be finished after the main quest, but it's still funny how the Ghostfence doesn't go down after Almalexia, Sotha Sil and/or Vivec are all dead.

Arrowgrab

Arbiter
fuck. there's something that keeps pulling me back to Morrowind. the architecture, the music, the art. it's just the mechanics I don't see eye to eye with. I think the progression system is stupid (seeing "tips" of people letting themselves be hit by weak enemies for hours, keeping the w key pressed running against a wall to incrase athletics, jesus).

For what it's worth, Galsiah's Character Development addon overhauls the leveling up system. Like in vanilla, you train your various skills by using them, but there's none of this "you have to advance this skill by X points in a single level to get a decent multiplier to your abilities improvement" malarkey; your basic abilities (Strength, Agility, etc.) just gradually increase as you train related skills.

AFAIK, some people deride for being popamole or making spellcasters too powerful or somesuch; but with the vanilla leveling up system being as retarded as it is, there's no shame in giving this one a spin.

Turjan

Arcane
I realize Turdunal is supposed to be finished after the main quest, but it's still funny how the Ghostfence doesn't go down after Almalexia, Sotha Sil and/or Vivec are all dead.
It should be switched off after you defeated Dagoth Ur. At least in the vanilla game.

Xeon

Augur
Do shop keepers refresh their stock after a few days or is their stock set when you enter their zone? Also is their stock effected by the level of the player?

Is there a way to set a favorite spells or a mod to separate frequently used spells or at least name similar spells with different powers closer to each other, like Feather 1, Feather 2, etc.

Similar thing in Alchemy UI, is there a mod to expand the Alchemy thing, tried expanding the ingredients box doesn't seem possible.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Do shop keepers refresh their stock after a few days or is their stock set when you enter their zone? Also is their stock effected by the level of the player?

Is there a way to set a favorite spells or a mod to separate frequently used spells or at least name similar spells with different powers closer to each other, like Feather 1, Feather 2, etc.

Similar thing in Alchemy UI, is there a mod to expand the Alchemy thing, tried expanding the ingredients box doesn't seem possible.

1. The shop keepers only have a handful of items that actually respawn. Everything else is set in stone. If you buy something from the shop, it's probably gone from the shop forever. If you sell something to the shop, it will stay there forever until you buy it back (or kill the NPC and take it yourself).
2. I don't know if there is a mod, but you just can't do that in the vanilla game, which sucks.
3. No idea.

DraQ

Arcane

1. I think some of the merchant inventory may change (mechanically it might be that they are stored in leveled containers owned by the merchant, so as long as you don't buy or steal anything from that specific container and nothing is put into it, it may reset) and some of the appearing items may be level dependent (IIRC some enchanters/smiths may stock semi-generic items like Snowy Crown, Icebreaker or Foeburner at higher levels), but for most part the inventories are static with the exception of items specifically set to restock (like merchant gold, ammo and some consumables and ingredients) and any dynamic leveled stuff that might be there WON'T be anything particularly impressive.

2. You can favorite up to 9 things (items, spells, etc.) using F1. You can cycle through spells and weapons (Separately) using whatever keys you have bound for this purpose so with a bit of luck, if your spells cluster nicely, you can have quite a few spells effectively hotkeyed, for example up to 45 within 3 clicks. You can also remove unwanted spells from your spellbook with shift+click and for many effects there is little point keeping for example Feather 1 when you have Feather 2 (beware, you lose those spells and if they are the only containing particular effects you lose the knowledge of those effects for enchanting and spellmaking - I recommend making "effect library" spells you won't be actually using and naming them to cluster somewhere at the beginning or end of your spell list so that you won't have to worry deleting shit, each library spell can contain up to 8 effects). For offensive spells and some utility spells you will mostly use custom ones (unless you got suckered into using BTB, that is) even though they are generally less efficient, so you can name them to be memorable cluster nicely.

3. Dunno, lol.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom