Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Yet Another Morrowind Thread

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I play without mods for years now. This game doesn’t need any, outside of some unofficial patches obviously.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Morrowind_Alma_Moses_0031.jpg

Left is vanilla Morrowind. Right is using loose files from GOG version that the game doesn't use by default. Notice how the right has much more defined eyes, and no noise present in the entire face.

Yeah. I'm going to see if I can compile all of this higher quality textures into a mod.

Fargus

Arcane
Don't use the hair replacers, they are shit.

I use robert bodies with those heads. Also collected a nice hair selection that doesn't look like anime or metrosexual trash... mostly. Still it would be nice if someone makes a lore friendly hair replacer.

22320_screenshots_2015_07_31_00003.jpg

polishing spear

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
But what about boobs?

I miss that part of Better Bodies, but eh, nothing that can be done about it.

This shit is much harder than I expected. I have no clue whatsoever how to make the game use these textures. I tried saving them into a mod, installing through NMM, and nothing happened. I tried to save them as new textures (to bring them up to date), installing through NMM, and nothing happened. If I save them as .dds files, they work correctly, but the quality is fucked, and even if I enlarge the texture beforehand to avoid the .dds artifacts, the texture naturally still looks uglier than the original .bmp/.tga files. If I change the .ini "TryArchiveFirst", two out of three result in buggy meshes and textures, so I have to leave it at 0.

I don't even know if it is possible to force the game into using these without some serious tweaking involved. I would appreciate any advice on the matter.

Sin_t_tulo.png

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I made a small mod for the game. It replaces Vivec's head to look more like his concept art. I made slight UV tweaks to the mesh, so it needs to use the pluginless mesh replacer, which also changes the paths for two textures (which I saved as .bmp for higher quality).

Download it from here:

https://www.mediafire.com/?bmuw2797xy364m2

Concept_Art_Vivec.png

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Is the damage of destruction spells dependent on any of the related stats? If a spell has a base magnitude of, say, 15-30, does that number get fudged to do the maximum more reliably with a higher skill in Destruction?

DraQ

Arcane
Is the damage of destruction spells dependent on any of the related stats? If a spell has a base magnitude of, say, 15-30, does that number get fudged to do the maximum more reliably with a higher skill in Destruction?
No. Neither is damage of weapons affected by weapon skills (but it is by strength - always by strength and just strength).

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
So... I can finally say I got those GOG textures to work in the game. I had to save them as .dds files with a special compression (or apparent lack thereof) to make them look just as good as .dds files like they do as .bmp and .tga files.

Download link: https://www.mediafire.com/?w6pm5m05lsmallr

I took only one measly picture, but you can see the detail in the face and the lack of artifacts overall in the textures. The textures are the same resolution, so naturally they will be stretched and thus blur will occur. But at least the textures will be blurry and not horrifyingly disfigured thanks to unwanted artifacts.

Focker out.

Alma_Moses_0005.jpg

Ivan

Arcane
started my first playthrough using the graphics/sound mod

first impressions:

stamina runs out quickly while running in town
it looks GORGEOUS and I love the sound of the fire crackling

Q: how are quests handled here? i cleared out the bandit cave and freed the slaves but...idk who to "turn it in" to. is skill training like Gothic? how many points will training net me?

Caim

Arcane
Q: how are quests handled here? i cleared out the bandit cave and freed the slaves but...idk who to "turn it in" to. is skill training like Gothic? how many points will training net me?
Check your journal, it should tell you where to go.

Training nets you 1 level per times trained. For ever 10 of your major and minor skills trained you go up a level and you can add at least point to any three of your attributes. The more skills you trained with the same attribute, the more that single point will be worth, going from 1 to 5. You get the full 5 if you manage to level 10 skills with the same attribute. This means that with some clever training you can increase your attributes by 3x 5 points each time you level up.

Do note that the bonuses to increased attributes do not carry over between levels if you level more than 10 skills at the same time.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
I use robert bodies with those heads. Also collected a nice hair selection that doesn't look like anime or metrosexual trash... mostly. Still it would be nice if someone makes a lore friendly hair replacer.

What do you have installed? Water looks cool. Do you have blur/depth of field shader ?

Fargus

Arcane

What do you have installed? Water looks cool. Do you have blur/depth of field shader ?

It's MGSO (Morrowind Overhaul). I added a numerous replacers\retextures on top and installed some bugfixes, some bugs i had to fix myself. By itself MGSO is nice but really buggy, but i like how many different options it has when you install it.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado

Some places have things you can do, but they aren't quests. Addamasartus is one of those cases. It's basically your tutorial cave.

Ivan

Arcane
Doing quests for Fighter Guild now. Could someone help me save time and point me to haste boots or whatever.

Caim

Arcane
Boots of Blinding Speed?

Go to Caldera and head north-west. Follow the road until you meet a redguard woman. Do her quest and you're good. Do find a way to cast Resist Magicka on yourself for a second or something so you don't go blind.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Doing quests for Fighter Guild now. Could someone help me save time and point me to haste boots or whatever.
Your character's speed attribute and athletics skill will greatly affect your running speed, though you can also acquire the Boots of Blinding Speed or other items to provide a boost. Keep in mind that you can utilize the various travel options available in the game to arrive at a location as near your quest target as possible, before setting off on foot.

Ivan

Arcane
noticing a trend:

im not meant to speak to every single npc in any given town for quests, am I? should I be sticking to Guild quests/random npcs in wilderness?

also can someone explain how to negate the blinding effect?

Fargus

Arcane
noticing a trend:

im not meant to speak to every single npc in any given town for quests, am I? should I be sticking to Guild quests/random npcs in wilderness?

also can someone explain how to negate the blinding effect?

For negating blindness you need to make a custom spell with 100% resist magicka effect. It only need to last a second. You cast it and then quickly open your inventory and put your boots on. This will negate the effect. I personally don't need this, because my character is fast enough with 100 speed and athletics which isn't hard to get. I used the boots only when i have to go to some cave at the ass of the world or on Solstheim, because main quest there ivolves a lot of running around.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Pemenie_and_the_Boots_of_Blinding_Speed this page will help, as with everything Morrowind related uesp is a great source of information.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I fucked up with my Concept Art Vivec mod. I don't know why exactly, but it doesn't work in my game.

So I made a fool proof version, download here. You will only miss a message on Vivec's pauldron, but I doubt you even noticed it.

Alma_Moses_0002.jpg

EDIT: Getting the Boots of Blinding Speed is a nice way to make the game boring. Part of the charm is going everywhere at normal speed.

Fargus

Arcane
how do i use the 100% magicka spell? i have a 0% chance of casting it

Level up restoration skill

Or you can go the other way and kill king-fruity Helseth and take his ring.

Constant Effect
Reflect 100%
Resist Magicka 100%
Resist Paralysis 100%
Restore Health 10pts
Restore Fatigue 10pts

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Tribunal:Royal_Signet_Ring#Royal_Signet_Ring

Of course that will be... kinda hard. Like fighting Gaenor hard, but harder.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom