Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Yet Another Morrowind Thread

Cadmus

Arcane
Mods vs. no mods aside (no mods asshole!) that FPS optimizer thing is archaic shit that fucks with the game way too much, and no one should need it now-a-days. We need to forget it exists.

Note that they're not essential[...]Most of the mods here are taste-specific

Can't you just take the time to read. It's not like this picture forces you to get all the mods listed. And if you prefer Morrowind vanilla, fine by me but that's your opinion and I respect that.
I wish to get some respect as well! pls?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Can't you just take the time to read. It's not like this picture forces you to get all the mods listed. And if you prefer Morrowind vanilla, fine by me but that's your opinion and I respect that.

My point is no one, not one single person, should be using the "FPS optimizer." It reduces graphics to maintain framerate, but even a fucking $300 laptop can run Morrowind at 60fps now. It's a bad thing to advise people to use. MGE offers all the other benefits (widescreen, etc.) without the broken shit.

DraQ

Arcane
The lost isn't bad, it even lists Better Heads/Bodies among "models" instead of "MUST HAVE" like everyone else seems to do.
Too bad it's not the case with texture mods.
WTF do you need texture packs for in Morrowind anyway?

And doesn't FPS optimizer play badly with either MGE or MCP?
When even list's essentials section contains things that break each other, you know it's shit.
Yeah I have used FPS optimizer - back when no one even knew Oblivion would be coming.
Currently we have better things and it gets in their way.

There are some decent mods on it, but others are shit for one reason or another, so the list is shit.

Anyway, purism FTW :obviously: .

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
What do you people use to set custom resolution, vsync and FOV without FPS optimizer? Just dicking on registry?

Xbalanque

Educated
Tribunal is good? I was playing Morrowind for a very long time and that's what discouraged me. I mean dungeon crawling when you could have awesome quests with plots within plots and stuff?

Caim

Arcane
Tribunal's dungeon design was a matryoshkian clusterfuck:

"Oh, you like big expansive dungeons you can get lost in? Have one! Not enough? Have one below it, and you can only get in via one way! And one below it, which you can enter in only one way! And it has dead ends with steep drops that you cannot escape from without flying or teleporting all the way back to the beginning! Don't have stuff like that and get stuck? Go eat a dick! Then why go down there you ask? Because it has two pieces of unenchanted Daedric armor, so you don't have to rob Divyath Fyr naked!"

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
No. I'm struggling to convince myself to continue playing as it is.
What's the point? If you don't enjoy the game just stop playing, 1000 posts of other people who say MW is great will not change it.

I have a lot of love for the game, or I did in my youth. The music makes me very nostalgic.
There's only so many fetch quests and copy n paste level design I can take though, and the sense of wonder of exploring an exotic unique world is gone. It's such a grind that I may as well be doing real world fetch quests for real world money.

Like I said, it was a great, highly flawed game that could have really evolved into something special, but Bethesda butchered the shit out of the series. :negative:

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
Mods vs. no mods aside (no mods asshole!).

Bullshit. To dismiss ALL mods is inane. There are many that genuinely improve the game and make it come more alive or be more engaging and balanced. Unofficial patches are usually must-have also.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
"but Bethesda butchered the shit out of the series."

This is slang, not to be taken literally. Bad habit of mine.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Let Obsidian make a Morrowind sequel. New Vivec.

Morrowind successor as a unique, standalone game?

:bounce:

Morrowind as a Skyrim spinoff?

upload_2014-7-19_14-52-9.jpeg

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
I keep second-guessing my character build and rerolling. The newest, and hopefully final, build:

Race: Breton

Sign: The Apprentice

Specialization: Magic

Favored Attributes: Intelligence, Willpower

Major Skills: Destruction, Conjuration, Enchant, Light Armor, Alchemy

Minor Skills: Alteration, Restoration, Mysticism, Long Blade, Spear

The last two are there so I can cheaply train them when I want more Strength or Endurance.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
I want a Morrowind successor.

That's a good point. A Morrowind set in the Divinity universe would be a lot of fun. And its not as implausible as Besthesda making another Morrowind.

I'll answer in this thread.

I haven't played DOS, but it doesn't look like it has what Morrowind has.

Morrowind is strangely believable alien world blended with a high fantasy one.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I keep second-guessing my character build and rerolling. The newest, and hopefully final, build:

The last two are there so I can cheaply train them when I want more Strength or Endurance.

It's Marrow-wind, breh. After about ten hours of game time you'll be stupidly OP regardless of initial build.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The world of DOS is nowhere near as interesting as Morrowind's; it's as generic as it gets.

Morrowind is a province, not a world. All you have to do is find a place in Rivellon that can be more interesting than the world on average.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Rivellon is not interesting. And no area of it would be interesting. Larian focuses on parody and that's fine. But their overarching stories are generic and boring -- I started skipping cutscenes towards the end of OS it was that bad. Sometimes they do a good job at really small locales /vignettes like Hunter's Edge or the Fabulous Five or the plague quarter stuff in DivDiv but it's very erratic.

dryan

Arcane

I will try your build next. I only played a warrior in Morrowind.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom